1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Fender Precision Bass Club (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Nov 6, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classic! def on my top five favorite looking bass/neck combos

can't really tell about the PG on my monitor - but that's an interesting idea . . . looks like my friends in Vegas might be getting a package w/ some instructions :D they already think I'm weird enough . . . :ninja:

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    unique way of winding on the E string post. Does it give you better tone?

3. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I was thinking it was a set of uncut strings too. LOL. It is a nice bass.

4. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I think I can finally qualify to be in this club.

I present to you my $200 Craigslist special after $50 worth of parts, and 2 weeks of work.

As far as I know when I acquired it 2 weeks ago, it was a completely stock '95-'96 Fender MIM P-Bass. Since then, the only thing's I've changed are the pots, cap, jack and knobs (and of course various screws). I have no idea what color this is. I think it's either Lake Placid Blue, or some sort of Aqua.

Progress of the transformation can be seen here.

More (and larger) pics can be found here.

Before:
    4516181813_87f0abf504_o. 4516817232_bdef4b9061_o. 4516817254_7594cba69c_o.
    4509556359_cf87149d53_o.
    4509556153_7c9e5cd87e_o.

After:

4553076344_47a4391f95_o.
    4552437289_3d66e380c8_o.
    4552437125_963f132959_o.

5. I am drooling over the butterscotch p's in this thread. Ideally, I would love to get my hands on a butterscotch pj. At any rate, here is me and my lovely p. It is a new MIM p, which will be spending some time with Mr. Lull asap. :bassist:
    I love the hell out of it as is.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Wow this thread was quiet for a long while and now it's gone new post crazy!

7. Hi guys,

Im thinking about selling my MiM precision and buying a Peavey Zodiac, then using the extra cash to buy two SD quarters for it. Someone talk me out of it please? :ninja:

8. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Just don't do it. What's wrong with your P? Is this just a case of GAS because you haven't bought anything for a while? The Zodiac is nice enough, but it screams METAL, fine if your in a metal band, but otherwise? Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Trust me when I say if you do this, you'll only be gassing for a P down the line, happens to us all. And finally, JUST DON'T DO IT!

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Stupid idea, IMO. Just buy new pickups for the MIM if you dont like the tone.

10. Ya dude, keep the p. The mim's are pretty nice. I will be putting a new bridge and comtemplating new pu's, maybe one of those are bumming you out? I would miss my p, I think most folks would in that scenario.

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hey all, no need for a number just wanna show her off. Recently acquired 1962 P. All original except for finish has been poorly redone and added Jazz PU (not by me)...I have the original bridge in the case, but I think I'm leaving the BAII on there for now. Plays like magic. Sounds HUGE...

Oh yeah, and I got her for $950...:smug:

Fender1962Bass03.

Fender1962Bass07.

Fender1962Bass25.

12. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Sweet deal, even with all the mods. Black+tort=classy :cool:

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas

That is teh sicknus. Gnice bass brah!

Black/Tort is my favoryte. Can I touch it?

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks! and...um, No :ninja:

15. As requested,
    The Official Fender Precision Bass Club members are as follows,
    Boomin #478
    PCR #479
    paulygonemad #480
    Spinal Tapper #481

16. SuperLauren

SuperLauren

Nov 3, 2009
    nice P!
    2 volume knobs without the tone knob?

17. Cheers guys, its not so much that i dont like my precision, im just getting on better with the PJ combination and the hardware seems more solid. Looks like im going to be spending money on a new bridg, pickups, and having the body routed for a J pup :)

18. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Yep - that's how she was wired when I got her, and the dude I bought it from had no idea how or why. He couldn't explain it (probably why it was so inexpensive).

One knob is Precision PU Volume, the other is Jazz PU Volume - both hard wired tone at 100%.

I may install a push/pull or stack knob at some point for tone variation - I crave that Jamerson tone sometimes, but I kind of like how it is. It's very unique, and I've adjusted my amp accordingly so it's not so trebley or clanky when I play it.

I kinda wish it didn't sound so good, I rock it at rehearsals, but I'm afraid to gig with it, so I bring this CIJ 62 RI w/ Lindy Fralin PU's...sounds good, but can't hold a candle to my real 62 - and strangely, the reissue feels about 2lbs lighter.

rug.

19. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Basses are meant to be played. I would rock the '62 every night I could.

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I absolutely see where you're coming from - I used to say this all the time to people with sweet vintage gear until I finally owned a "priceless" piece of my own...it's too much to look after at a packed gig. If it was stolen from me, I seriously don't know what I'd do...sad thing is, the person who took it might not even know what it actually is...they might flip it for $500 down the street at the pawn shop...

I do play it a TON since I've gotten it (only about 4 weeks ago). At home everyday, in the studio I'll use it, and at all of our rehearsals/jams. My goal is to really wear that ugly finish off the natural way ;), and I love how it sounds through my big rig.

BUT I do not gig with it...in a moment my irreplaceable bass could be swiped in seconds by anyone - especially the crowded gigs we play out here in the city and all the random/shady/strange people that show up to our shows. I'd have to chain it to my belt to know it was safe with me.

Case-in-point/sidenote/threadjack: my guitarist's cable bag was swiped on Friday night. It was filled with cables, his $300 custom ear plugs that his GF got him for xmas, two botique pedals worth over $200 each, 2 power strips, and his multi-tool. Just up and gone...somewhere between us being done playing and load-out it's completely vanished. You could say that he should be more "careful" with his stuff, but you can't stop someone from stealing something if they want it in a packed bar of 300+ people...but that's for another thread entirely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.