1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Fender Precision Bass Club (Part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Yeah... that just looks soooo nice.

Briton likes this.
  2. "And my blood is my own now". Just making silly jokes.

3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe

Unknown-8.

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    images(3).

5. Looks great!

Briton and Pbassmanca like this.
  6. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    I visited a local shop to check out some Fender Custon Shop basses. I picked a 60's Precision in the same colour combo, plugged it into an SVT and 810.......despite already owning a 57 and 62 reissue, I can't get that bass off my mind. They are pricey up here in Canada new. In fact, there were at least 5 custom shops on sale that we're within $200-$700 more.

I ended up finding an AVRI 75 Jazz for sale locally that satisfied me. I would jump on a LPB Jazz with a matching headstock for sure!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    BazzaBass likes this.
  7. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Yeah man, there is something about them in the tone category. Now I just have to decide if it’s that bass or P basses. I’m playing an American select today so that should help me figure it out.

Also, I’ve got some GAS going on for the 50’s re-issue in white. I’d have to order that one to see if it sounded as good. Does anyone know if the truss rod adjustment on that one is at the heal of the neck as well. I suspect it is, but I can’t see the small notch in the photos the way I did on the 60s.

4-fingers likes this.
  8. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    All 50s Fender P Basses feature truss rod access to the heal of the neck.

9. Recently bought an Am. Original '60s Jazz Bass ... i don't know what it is (electronics package? pickups? fingerboard treatment or wood selection?) but this bass sounds decidedly better than any other jazz bass ive tried in the past ... I looked at Jaco's tone, inter-alia, since a lifetime .. no way ... with this guy here happiness a go-go ... I can't imagine how a Custom Shop may sound significantly better to justify the cost ... I should have the chance to play one which will have to be set-up, or almost, in order to judge ... however, should the same improvement in tone from, say, Am. Standard to Am. Original would be granted from Am. Original to Custom Shop, then the price difference may be acceptable and the Custom Shop instrument become the final target (boutique aside ... but this is another story and another thread)

10. SideshowDom

SideshowDom

Apr 12, 2009
    Salinas, CA
    I would like to join as well :) Here's my MIM P I just picked up a couple weeks ago.
    637560D0-2F22-409B-BAAD-ED293EEAC832.

11. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Nice looking Bass same as mine. Why didn't you go for one of the new Player series with upgrades?

SideshowDom likes this.
  12. SideshowDom

SideshowDom

Apr 12, 2009
    Salinas, CA
    It was $100 less on closeout, couldn't beat that deal. Plus I liked the tone I was getting from the Standard over the Player.
    Also, on a superficial level, I liked the white over the black paint job. If they had a buttercream there, I would've grabbed it without even plugging it in, haha.

13. Duder251

Duder251

May 26, 2016
    Enid, OK
    2006 CIJ '51 RI and 2011 Am. Std. IMG_1546.

14. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    Your member number is not assigned exactly. It is the post number in which you requested a number, if that makes sense!

SideshowDom likes this.
  15. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    That’s a swell looking bass in your avatar. Looks like a custom build slab body? Could you share any information or pictures of it?

16. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Best, most classy use of a tort pick tucked under a tort pickguard...so cool...

Son of Wobble, Duder251 and BazzaBass like this.
  17. How would you explain the playing difference between them?

18. BLYN

BLYN

May 16, 2009
    My 1978 Precision with the typical eighties mod - the Jazz pu ...
    Nice P with A neck !

IMG_3983.JPG

19. Duder251

Duder251

May 26, 2016
    Enid, OK
    So, to me, the '51 definitely has the true vintage bass tone. It isn't super bright when the tone is up, but it does have the 60 sec. hum (which I have a setting on my pedal for it). When the tone is rolled off, it has the woody thump that isn't too boom-y...and with the vintage frets, it almost gives it a fretless feel.
    The Am. Std. is more contemporary to me. With the tone rolled up, it's pretty aggressive, and more so when I attack harder. With the tone rolled back, I get a darker sub sound. I tend to dial in a little more treble when I roll back just to balance it out. I have had the '51 for 10+ years and I am super comfortable on it, but the second I picked up the new one, it felt like I had had it just as long. '51 has a gloss neck which I'm used to, the Std. has a satin neck that is suuuuuuper smooth and comfortable. Both necks have the same dimensions on paper and with a tape measure, but the Std. feels flatter and wider on the fret board. I could continue on and on, but I don't want to be a bore. :) The '51 is more of my around the house/practice bass because it's sentimental to me and it's a bit fragile (stupid teacup input jack).

20. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Get yourself an Electrosocket.

Lex P. likes this.