1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Fender Precision Bass Club (Part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

AARP Inn? Man, they have everything! :)

Mantis Tobaggan, R&B and JIO like this.
  2. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

9mmMike likes this.
  3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    That there is iconic classic.

4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    roger?
    [​IMG]

GreaserMatt, 1bassplayinfool and R&B like this.
  5. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Sorry dude, you don't look like a P guy at all!

Son of Wobble likes this.
  6. Rob Leonard

Rob Leonard

Feb 16, 2019
    Had one identical to this, mine was MIM. Wish i still had it, played great!

7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Seriously, one of my favorite trios on the TB.
    Can you run them down in terms of timbre and specs? Rank them? Is the fretless a parts bass?

Ghastly likes this.
  8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Here's my latest assemblage (OCD screw-counters might want not look too closely):

Got a midnight wine MIM P bass on Craigslist with standard rosewood neck $200
    Traded neck via aforementioned CL for a 50's style with 1.75 nut $ 0
    New vintage-style threaded bridge $ 26
    Gold anodized pick guard, full loaded, Strosphere (with shipping) $130

Strung with an old set of DA Chromes. Just tracked it and it sounded great, nice
    and fat and thumpy. Didn't even EQ it in the scratch mix.

IMG_9792.JPG IMG_9795.JPG IMG_9800.JPG IMG_9799.JPG

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    So one of the groups that I've been playing with started doing more of the classic rock tunes that really sound better with RW's than flats so I did what I said I wouldn't do and installed a set of D'addario Nickel RW's on my new Elite P-bass. Man does it kill though! We learned Carry On My Wayward Son (Kansas) a couple weeks ago and it just didn't capture the vibe with flats installed.
    I like the sound so much (with the nickel RW's) that I'm going to leave them on and get another less expensive P-bass and load the flats on it. It'll sound good on some of the other classic rock tunes.
    I'm thinking about trying either one of the new Fender 50's Precision's or a Player Precision (4 string). Which do you guys think would be the best one to get? I haven't played either of those models.

I did record the bass part of "Song For America" (Kansas) using my Elite with the Nickel RW's installed. It comes pretty close to getting the original tone. I probably could come closer with some SS RW's but they feel so rough (and are rougher on the frets) that I just went with the D'addario nickel RW's.
    I removed most of the original bass part using Gold Wave. I'll upload a slightly shortened sound clip of the tune (songs so long @ 10:00 minutes that it was too large to upload the entire song).
    The Elite was panned full P-bass p/u in the passive mode.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    crucislancer, 9mmMike and Ghastly like this.
  10. 9mmMike

Pick?

11. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Wow, I'm honored. Thank you for the compliment. I'm happy to give a brief rundown on each, though I'm still getting familiar with the purple sparkle and the gold leaf.

original P bass 1973.
    Original 1973 Precision bass (restored). It was painted black when I got it, though originally natural finish. Once stripped, the black really bit into the grain and didn't look good, so I went with one of my favorite finishes: blond. The pick guard is from an '83 and the covers are from a '79. All the electronics and the rest of the hardware are original. Ultimately, my #1. I use the mute under the cover and keep the action high for heavy plucking. Flat wound strings installed. B profile neck. The overall sound is deep and thumpy and just what I imagine a bass should sound like. Pretty heavy, at approx. 10.4 lbs. but I'm used to it.

Adam Clayton P bass 2017.
    2017 Adam Clayton signature Precision Bass. I own the sherwood green Adam Clayton Jazz Bass and felt this was a nice compliment. It was a gift from my parents this past Christmas. It is a very comfortable, well made instrument and sounds great. It is nice and light, around 8.5 lbs. I have the stock round wounds still on and may keep rounds on this one. It sports the custom Clayton neck profile and 60's P bass pickups.

Fender fretless:parts bass 2019.
    1973 Fender fretless neck/2019 Mattia Franchin gold leaf body Precision "parts" bass. Nordstrand 51P4S (hum cancelling) pickup. Original tuners. I put La Bella flat wound stainless steel strings on it. I love it, though I'm still adjusting to it. It sounds a bit "burpy" like a Jazz Bass . It weighs approx. 8.4 lbs.

12. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I can dig it

13. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Three amigos 20190311_011514.

14. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Yes. Pick.

9mmMike likes this.
  15. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    JOME77 likes this.
  16. 55C31AEA-D4D7-4C42-B4BA-89E2384870CA.

A few weeks ago I said I was going thinking about a gold guard for my MIA P, and here it is. I like it a lot.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  17. 9mmMike

Sounds great.

JOME77 likes this.
  18. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I have that same 63 AV. It is my favorite bass.

joel the bass player likes this.
  19. It is killer! Adjusting the truss rod isn't fun but it is a small price to pay. With those two I'm in P heaven. Just wish I had a reason to put flats back on the AV63, but it doesn't really fit what I'm currently playing.

20. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I haven’t had to adjust the truss yet but I think I may need to soon. Small price to pay!