1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Fender Precision Bass Club (Part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    I’m really pleased with how it’s turned out because it was a bit worse for wear when I picked it up. I’ve only used it at a couple of rehearsals but it sounds great in our Stooges influenced band.

I like the sound of the standard pickup, what does the Quarter Pounder improve over the original?

2. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    To my ears the SD 1/4#s gave more low end girth/depth, meatier, punchy mids and a very nice smoothness. The first MF I had was used and came with SD pups and second MF was new and came with the Standard pups and to me there was quite a noticeable difference. I noticed right away it felt like something was missing tonal wise. Same strings used on both.

3. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Well after lifting up the pick guard and a very short inspection, I found the culprit of my buzzing issue. See broken off bridge grounding wire circled in red in first photo.

E1B3847C-60BF-467B-BABC-AB247BE09D7A.

Cleaned and soldered the bridge grounding wire back onto the input jack. Ready to go!
    E9744D4E-20B8-4EF5-A9F3-6C2FB7595445.

4. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Good find. I’d have to clean the polishing powder off before I zipped it back up!

iceboxbass likes this.
  5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

0FAF8B23-E1FA-44D6-AB80-C625B10FF50E.
    You might want to reflow all of those solder points. Specifically these ^^^

iceboxbass and Lex P. like this.
  6. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Looking for a good Precision....USA made, rosewood, Sunburst but would entertain other colors. PM me.

7. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    That stuff drives me nuts also:thumbsup:
    My same thoughts thanks:thumbsup::)

petrus61 likes this.
  8. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I am so loving this RW 50's P-Bass with La Bella flats!
    I set out to get an old school sounding P-bass and this bass loaded with the La Bella 760FS Flats totally nails it (at least the sound I have in my head). And the bass totally plays like butter. To think that I ordered a new 50's Precision and they sent this one by mistake. I would have NEVER ordered a RW version. The whole concept just did nothing for me.

As sneha1965 stated:

The La Bellas are starting to break in a bit. Every day they seem to get a bit better

Here's a short clip of the bass with the La Bella's (I watched a Muscle Shoals documentary yesterday and when this song came on I had to grab my P-bass and cop the main groove) .......

Attached Files:

9. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Oh yes, grande som!

I like that! I have my P with TI's, but I have a set of LaBellas waiting for their turn, I think I'll check it out!

I was just thinking of your adventure two days ago. Something similar happened to me. Well, not similar, but having a bass fall in your lap when you least expected and it ends up being the most wonderful thing you ever played! Wonderful feeling.

10. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Great story ;)

9mmMike likes this.
  11. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Teaser - MJT almost ready to be returned to for me to assembly.
    IMG_5356 (2).JPG

12. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Nice - is it an 'aged' satin Seafoam?

13. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Aged Sonic Blue that turned out to be more green. I sent a picture and they matched that. It still gets some buffing and some clear that will be lightly checked. It is not a satin finish. The picture is "in progress". :)

JIO likes this.
  14. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Ready to roll.... 20190413_182922.

15. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Perfect strap for your bass! :thumbsup:

strost likes this.
  16. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here

Hi, the blue is the Steve harris signature 2nd gen made in japan in 2012 , the one on the right is a from the Fender American design that i well designed n they built from 2015.

17. G-Dog

G-Dog Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Beautiful bass. Looks like someone envious gave you one of these cables?

RjiRK.

strost likes this.
  18. Cygnus0820

Cygnus0820

Apr 3, 2019
  19. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I tried a Nate Mendel P a couple of months ago and I liked it so much that I traded my custom P for another bass in order to buy a NM Pbass in a near future. The problem is that I don’t know if I should order one or wait until a good arrives at local store.

Is there any Nate Mendel P owners here? Are you impressed by your bass’ quality and tone?

Thanks in advance

20. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Right? I saw it and thought it worked!