1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Fender Precision Bass Club (Part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. I’d like to get one as well, particularly for the shape of its neck ... installing a red tort pickguard and a correctly vintage-sounding P bass pickup (SPB-3 sounds a little too dark for my taste ... GZR would be ok I guess although I don’t like the pickup casing .. grrr)

This one was on sale at a very good price here on the Classifieds but I didn’t see it at the time:

upload_2019-4-14_4-47-52.

Would also replace the bridge with a vintage threaded saddles one and install covers and a thumbrest in ‘60s position ... the lightly aged American Original P bass in CAR which doesn’t exist yet ..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    iceboxbass, Michael B, R&B and 2 others like this.
  2. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I've had a Nate Mendel P for about 4 years now, it's one of my favorite basses for sure. Quality and tone are fantastic. I will say that if you are looking for a purely vintage tone you might want to think about replacing the pickup. The SPB-3 has a bit more low and high end than a typical P pickup. That being said, mine is still stock and works well for everything I do. The neck is comfortable and easy to play, definitely one of the best features. They really are a fantastic bass and well worth the money.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Took delivery of my new Ocean Turquoise Player P...
    CEA26D5D-17E8-4917-B9E0-615FB4D2A56A.
    BA2AFC7E-A346-4DC1-9EF1-74C3C41B4638.

I took these photos with no filters to hopefully represent the true color, which was hard to get an idea of from every image I’ve ever seen of one. The top photo is probably the most accurate. As far as fit and finish, it’s spectacular and I’m very pleased. The frets are immaculately done and although I haven’t weighed it, it feels close to a full pound lighter than my American Std/Pro. Very light and resonant. I did have to reseat the ground wire because it had lost contact with the bridge (exact same issue on my last Classic 50’s P upon arrival...come on Fender!) but outside of that, it’s a damn good bass.

I haven’t played a MIM Player or even Standard P in some years, but if this is representative of how they all are, I’m impressed. The neck feels thicker than I remember the standards being. These are alleged to have the newer AlNiCo 5 Player series pickups, but it’s quite obvious from the construction (stainless steel slug pole pieces affixed to bar magnets) and sound (very high output, mid scooped) that mine came with the standard series ceramics. They are the sole weak link on this bass and will be swapped out with the quickness, likely for a Duncan SPB-1 or Fender Original.

Here’s a shot with my numero uno 2012 AmStd w/AmPro neck and Lollars:
    85BCF197-1A45-4BBB-9E8A-D1EEB691D98A.

I see the Player getting ample playing time now that my shoulders and neck are all jacked up from trying to move a 500lb television set, and the light weight is an unexpected bonus. It’s a joy to play. Me likey!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  4. Aaahhhh this is the body/pickguard combo that everybody should own a specimen of with a P bass!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mingus_Habens and petrus61 like this.
  5. Cygnus0820

Cygnus0820

Apr 3, 2019
    BAF62D8D-1A5E-4B90-8570-31B8931AD6D2.

Attached Files:

6. :drool::drool::drool::drool::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Mingus_Habens and Cygnus0820 like this.
  7. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Great basses and currently one of Fender's better deals IMHO.
    This was the only bass that had all the specs I wanted; ash, early 70's-style neck with the 7.25" radius and 1.6" nut and the oh-so-cool deep belly cut.
    I am not a fan of the pickups or bridge but those are easy to change out and not a factor (for me) for buying one.
    If weight matters to you, you may want to make sure that what you get, weighs what you want. I bought a second one to get the weight that I wanted.
    Picture:
    FullSizeRender.

I like the neck so much that I bought a used neck for another project, a 1970 "restoration".

8. Did you put the decals onto the headstock yourself or it’s an original ‘70s neck? Which kind of neck? A? B?

9. The only thing I change in that gem, although there’s no need to do it, it’s just myself that became a sucker for dark fretboards, is the colour of the fretboard ... the pickup, I believe, should be P-bassy enough ;)

petrus61 likes this.
  10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I might get bored one day and swap necks with the AmPro. In fact, if I manage to hang on to both of these long enough, it’s an inevitability.

11. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    Is there anyone who can give the numbers for new Club members?

12. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    It’s a great looking bass!

9mmMike likes this.
  13. 9mmMike

That's the original Mendel-edition neck which is a copy of the early 70's necks ('71 & '72) that were sometimes 1.6" at the nut. No one seems to know why. Listed as B necks but ever so slightly narrower. I have a couple basses with the "real" version of the neck, like Mr. Mendel's, that Fender copied with this Mendel bass. In fact the one I am working on now, a few posts back, has one of these original necks.
    My next project after that will be a '70 that I expect to use my spare Mendel neck on unless something else comes along. :)

14. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Did they change the necks on the Mendels? I thought they were all 1.6?

15. Nice neck indeed .. hard to find as a part nowadays I guess ... I’ve got the same neck (in terms of width at the nut at least) on my MIJ PB70, although the headstock decals are not complete in my case (this story of the correct and complete headstock decals is driving me crazy .. why some MIM basses have got them and not the MIJ is a mystery to me) neck is very playable but still retaining a good share of a typical P bass neck’s feeling

16. Agree

17. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    My 07 MIA Fender P5 first gig out yesterday! It was killer! Lots of compliments on its tone. Might become my main player for a bit. I can’t speak enough of the comfy neck and fast player on this one and light weight. Lightest 5r I own. Zero neck dive.
    The TV camera director came up to me on stage after our early morning rehearsal ecstatic about the P tone on this one. I believe this ones a keeper.:)

2CC2CEC9-6CA5-441F-8A19-AF60D7BF5FDD. BFEEA52D-FA6B-41F3-AD1A-A0C289799DB3.

18. 9mmMike

That is correct. All 1.6". That's one of the "signature" items of that model. The neck and the re-contoured body, at this price point, are super cool...in my opinion.

crucislancer and TinIndian like this.
  19. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Just ordered "AM PRO P BASS RW 3TS" direct from Fender....Ill let you know how it turns out.
    Ive been saving and waiting for a while, had the $ and wanted to buy a new USA P bass. Id like to hear from other Am Pro P owners what you think about these?

20. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    I’ve owned a ton of basses since I first started playing over 28 years ago, finally got an American Pro P bass late last year.
    I love it! Great build quality, love the higher frets, and great sounding pickups.
    Oh, and the neck feels great!
    Congratulations!

Just a sugestion, the light gauge Fender flat wounds sound great on them.

-ScottM