1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Fender Precision Bass Club (Part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks. I wanted to get one from someone like Sweetwater, who goes over it, does a QC check, etc, but they are sold out and wont have any in stock for a bit. Fender has a 30-day return and it was the same price so I thought why not. I do all my own setups anyway, it will probably end up with Boomers or flats.
    I played one at a local store for a bit so I know the neck is a bit different than the "modern C" on the Am Special im used to. Also how do the pickups sound live?

Shawn Luckman and scottm like this.
  2. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    I have actually had multiple problems buying things from Sweetwater, so I buy from Zzounds. I have bought four basses now to include my P bass from them and they all came in awesome shape with a very great setup! I only had to do very minor tweaks to get things like I wanted them.
    With that said, I would imagine it will come in great shape straight from Fender.

-ScottM

FirewalZ likes this.
  3. Can’t be more in agreement .. I can’t comment on the neck as I installed a jazz bass neck on my loaded Am. Pro. P body, but in terms of opinions on the body’s build, fit, finish and on the pickups I have the same impressions as @scottm !

Edit:

Mine was assembled from parts bought from the StraTosphere.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    John M Ewers, FirewalZ and scottm like this.
  4. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Back in Oct. 2018 I ordered a new American Pro White RW 4 string Precision. It was a great playing and sounding bass and the workmanship was excellent. However, I couldn't help but wonder how the Elite Precision with the active/passive electronics and bridge Jazz p/u might compare (as well as the compound radius neck). So a week later my local GC let me order an Elite Precision to do an A/B comparison between the 2. Both are great basses but in the end for a few hundred more I could get the compound radius neck, active/passive electronics and the bridge jazz pickup so I went with the Elite and took the American Pro back.
    That being said, I really struggled on what type strings to load on the Elite (Nickel RW or flats) so I decided to load new Chrome flats on my Elite and get another Precision to setup with La Bella flats. I knew for that for the sound I really wanted I needed to go passive and purchased a RW 50's Precision (I also run my Elite passive most of the time). Certainly a bit of a different animal than the American Pro (7 1/4 verses 9 1/2 radius finger board) but I've got to say that passive Precision is getting all the playing time right now. It's really hard to beat the sound of a passive Fender precision and the American Pro Precision is an awesome bass!
    I think that you'll love it. :)

Here's a pic of the 2 basses during the A/B comparison:

IMG-0282.JPG

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:31 AM
  5. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Great info. I do specifically want passive in this case, so it should fit the bill. My only other p bass has been one of the maple neck nitro Am. speacials, and with the Fender original 62 p-ups can be a raging beast with rounds:) I’m thinking the Am Pro P will offer a nice balance....rounds on one, Labellas on the other, so no more switching strings all the time

JOME77 likes this.
  6. Think of the pickup’s tone as a very clear and even sounding pickup, producing, IMO, the right amount of mids at any setting of the bass’ tone control knob.
    It’s not a particularly highly-powerful or hot pickup so to speak (as, for instance, the Fender PV ‘63, which tends to be boomy sometimes) .. it sounds like a slightly less gritty version of a EMG GZR pickup, whilst always sounding clearer than this particular pickup (clarity, I read after buying the body, is one of the features distinguishing pickups containing AlNiCo II magnets and, in effect, I found it a true property, even listening to several guitar pickups) ... all-in-all for me the V-mod pickup was a good surprise

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 2:10 AM
  7. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    This MIJ Precision has been giving me real joy again over the past few days. It was my first bass, bought new with very little knowledge in 1998. All my other basses are more comfortable to play, but none of them sounds as phat as this Precision. Of course strung with flats, it has the most rewarding tone.

2017-03-31 17.54.06.

8. Very beautiful :thumbsup:

Mingus_Habens and BassmanM like this.
  9. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks for the reply. Clear articulated notes and evenness across the strings and fretboard are important to me, and I find that its hard to determine this until you've played them out live, recorded, etc. Pickups are subjective, but the good news is that even high end P pickups are not that expensive and fairly straight forward to swap.

10. It would be nice if you could let us have your impressions about this latest iteration of the Fender’s P-bassity, with particular regard to the electronics package which the Am. Pro. will come supplied with :thumbsup:

iceboxbass likes this.
  11. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I sure will...ill probably do an "initial" impression at home, than ill take it to a few rehearsals, gigs and/or recording sessions and do a more detailed report.

12. John M Ewers

John M Ewers

Oct 17, 2018
    Forsyth, IL
    It was probably hard not to keep them both!

JOME77 likes this.
  13. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Very very nice.

BassmanM likes this.
  14. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I have a 1986 MIJ Jazz....its a great bass for sure, super lightweight and a fantastic neck. The Fugi-gen MIJ's are really nice bass's for sure.

9mmMike and BassmanM like this.
  15. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    nice pic! none more red! :bassist:

BassmanM likes this.
  16. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Fender Precision #6 from my collection:

Purchased used, all Stock:
    [​IMG]

Turned it into a Steve Harris "tribute" - Installed new Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Pickup, 250K CTS Pots, Switchcraft Jack, .047 Cap, Mirrored Pickguard, BadAss II Bridge:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    Picked this up on my way through Dallas has Antiquities and a Emerson harness
    I'm to sure about the neck , might just swap out to a classic jazz

20190418_130345.

18. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

'57 AVRI? Interesting location for the pic.

19. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Great looking Bass.. I picked one up just like it. I'll post it under yours

Crusher47 and Honkey tonk like this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    They probably need vacations away from us, every now and then...