1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Fender Precision Bass Club (Part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I'm a fan of the EMG Geezers, as they have a nice midrange and growl when you dig in a bit. You can get the clean, but the actives will do a better job at the hifi clean. With the Geezers you get that nice breakup when pushed. They definitely have a personality.

It's full like an overwound pickup, but not as thick, and definitely not muddy at all. I have them in my main P bass with SSRW strings, we get character for days. I also have them in an older P with cobalt flats, and with the treble rolled off a touch, they really do the flat thing as well.

I've got a couple sets of active EMG pups in other P configurations, but I prefer the passive Geezers to them. I have not tried the PAX models, I am just comparing to the regular EMG active pickups.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  2. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Gold Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Well I went ahead and installed the leftover stock P pup from my Mustang PJ upgrade for just the time being as the upper split coil it came with was broken down the middle and unwinding. I am waiting on the new strings I ordered, DiAdarrio chrome flats, to test it out.
    I will definitely look into the EMG Pax and the Geezer Butlers as I am not too sure about these leftovers.
    This poor beast was mistreated pretty badly. In addition to previously mentioned issues it had a neck bow you wouldn't believe making me do my very first truss rod adjustment. Took real slow and turned it about 1/16 of a turn at a time until it is now eyeball straight. Took 5 times. I feel really bad for this instrument. Nothing should be treated this way. The strap buttons and pickguard screw heads are oxidized to the point I couldn't polish them. I know quick easy cheap fix. Just an example of what I am dealing with.
    Thank you for the input so far. It is greatly appreciated.
    Bob

3. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

I have Geezers in an American Standard Precision and an MIJ PJ (in a Jazz body with BnB Jazz neck). Agree with the comments above. Super beefy, especially when boosted through a Sadowsky preamp pedal and lightly compressed. Just monster tone. A little wooly, but that’s my favorite tone anyway. I think either one of those babies could be a desert island bass. (Don’t tell the War Department.)

Lex P., JGbassman and Bobhmcs like this.
  4. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Strings finally arrived were installed the setup finished and ready to go. That left over pickup works just fine. No more sounding weird and functional. By no means are they 1/4 pounds, EMG's or even stock Precision pups. but I now have a functional P bass and have a full setup and pickup install under my belt.
    but I do want to some upgrades Pickup, tuners, and bridge. I am leaning towards the EMG GB's but having feelings for SD as that is what is on my Mustang PJ, Hipshot KickA@# High Mass Bridge, and Grover Vintage Tuners. Nothing is written in stone and no decisions have been made. These are just my preliminary thoughts. Any suggestions, input, ideas. and opinions would still be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all
    Bob

Aaron Houts likes this.
  5. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    My opinion is for sure change the bridge and tuners.
    As far as pickups, if you know you want Seymour Duncan QPs, then that’s the way you should go.
    Nothing else will sound like them.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  6. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    I neglected to mention I play through a Hartke LH500 with a Eden 4x10 cab. That amp has a preamp built in and is based on the Fender Stack design so I am still learning what it can really do. The one thing I do know it is LOUD!
    Is there a criteria to becoming a member?
    Bob

7. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If you want a classic p bass tone for less $ the Dimarzio Model P and the Duncan Spb1 are pretty hard to beat for classic P bass tone. I’d say both are comparable to the EMG Geezer. There are so many great P Bass pickups it’s overwhelming.

The Quarter Pounders are great but not what I would call a classic tone and do not sit in the mix the same as other p bass pickups. Not bad just different. Some pickups are more even (Bart B Axis, Delano) and some are scooped like the QP.

8. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I probably tried at least 6-8 different pickups before I settled on the Geezers. My second favorites were the model P’s as I could dial them in pretty well, but they just didn’t have that mid grunt the Geezers do.

The quarter pounders. Sounded thicker than I like, and scooped. Sounded ok at home, washed out in the mix. A very burly sound though. EMG active, too clean. Fender pups were flatter, lacked zing.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  9. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Thank you. I had read that about the SPB1 vrs the quarter pound. I am somewhat new at this restoration hobby and know there is a lot out there to learn. As an example you mentioned 3 brands I have never heard of. time for a bit of research.

aproud1 and Zoobiedood like this.
  10. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    The Geezers are great. They really captured P bass magic in that pickup.

JGbassman likes this.
  11. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Enjoy!

12. An afternoon in the quiet with my '58 AVRI and all is right with the world 65888013_2375467615875741_5541864811052138496_o. again.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  13. katolecho

katolecho

Apr 29, 2019
    Time for a new bass.

Already got a Sire P7 5 strings with a mapple fingerboard, a 2005 Musicman Sterling with a mapple neck...

I'm wondering if a Fender P-Bass with a rosewood fingerboard will be a good choice.
    Lately, my heart goes on Fender P-Bass but as always, the fingerboard question comes out.
    Any difference between mapple and rosewood on a P-Bass?
    The only thing i'm sure is that I look at Player Series + Geezer Pickup.

14. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    What's your concern with the fingerboard? In the grand scheme of things I tend to think of fingerboard material to be largely cosmetic. Just IMO of course.

Do you like the look of maple?

15. katolecho

katolecho

Apr 29, 2019
    My problem is that i like both :sorry:

16. You answered your own question. Get both. Bam!

sgtpepper, R&B, Bobhmcs and 3 others like this.
  17. After trying Wenge and Ebony ... well ... nothing really better ...

18. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    I have to disagree with the statement that fretboards are cosmetic.
    Engineering Wise a fretboard and it's material does make a difference in a stringed instrument. In tone, speed, feel, and general sound. I agree, not a huge difference but it is there. Today the choices are Rosewood, Maple, Pau Ferro, Richlite, Ebonol, and the other unknown materials used in extremely low end instruments.
    In my day Ebony was a choice as well but since it is on the endangered list is no longer available.
    To be fair with the current materials being used if the bass came with Richlite or Ebonol I would agree it was for cosmetic reasons.
    But natural woods factor in the total outcome of how the instrument sounds, feel, and plays.
    I owned a vintage Gibson Les Paul Standard which was mahogany with an ebony fretboard and it was a dream to play and unique in its sound and tone.
    If I was to have my dream base today with the material at hand and cost as not a factor I would have a Maple neck with a Maple fretboard.
    My recommendation is to try each of the natural woods keeping in mind sound, tone, comfort, feel, and speed and then make a self informed decision.
    As I have now put my soap box away I will not begin on synthetics.
    Once again this is more from an engineering point of view as vibration travels through the whole instrument contrary to some other beliefs.
    I hope this helps and I meant no offense at all.

Bob

katolecho likes this.
  19. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Ebony is still available - I'm having a walnut neck with ebony fb made right now.

20. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Really?! JIO you have just made my day! I do need to ask is it African or Indonesian ebony not that it truly makes a difference as they are both fine woods.
    I need to call my Luthier.
    Bob

Son of Wobble likes this.