1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Fender Precision Bass Club (Part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    I love it...that blackguard matches just perfect, one of few I like but that bridge caught my eye. Man that's one massive full contact bridge.

Bobhmcs likes this.
  2. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Normal? After 32 years in the USN? Gold Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Thank you for the compliment. The decision on the pickguard took 5 people and alot of research and looking. Pickguard Planet has worked for me a number (4) of times and has been successful 100%.
    The bridge I don't think I would have selected if I didn't already own it. Functionally it is perfect. It intonates spot on and does help with the neck dive I had. Astheically IMHO it is bulky and a bit big. But as I am more into function than I am into asthetics I will take function everytime. On the other hand if I was to purchase one I believe I would have gone with the Fender High Mass bridge.
    Thank you again
    Bob
    Edited for Bridge Explaination: It is a Hipshot 5K400N High Mass Bridge.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    btmpancake likes this.
  3. Robert Darby

Robert Darby Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Here we have my newest club member. Mim 50s p-bass. I will spend the next few days getting to know her. I am sure we will get along.

Attached Files:

4. My Fender American Professional P bass has this kind of bridge:[​IMG]
    I can't find infos so I'm asking here: see those string "routes" on each saddle? 3 for E and A, 4 for D an G. What are they for? I guess they must be used to manage string spacing and/or align each string with the pickup poles?
    If you do that without a specific criteria, string spacing would be messed up.
    Plus, I guess each string should follow its natural (straight) direction, right? Having a bent string is not optimal, in my experience.

5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    The Great Fender HiMass™ Vintage Bridge Mystery (to me)

:D

In short:

1. All strings on their innermost notches appears to results in consistent 19mm or 0.75" string spacing as measured - the official Fender Precision spec.

2. Pickup fields are wide enough that the strings don't need to be exactly centered.

3. If you prefer a greater than 19mm string spacing, go for it, but playability should be of the utmost concern as opposed to any type of visual alignment.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Bobhmcs and sneha1965 like this.
  6. Well, I guess I'll reply to you there, because it's still a mystery for me.

7. Robert Darby

Robert Darby Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2018
    I believe the three counter sunk hole are the mounting holes and the others are for string throw setup and the grooves in the saddles are your only adjustment for the strings. Hope that helps.

8. Thanks.

9. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

And there appears to be the option for not using the string-thru as well.

Robert Darby and R&B like this.
  10. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Hi all,
    I will be away for a while. My grandson made an appearance day b4 yesterday 3 months early. The good news is Mom and baby are doing ok but will be in the hospital off and on for awhile.
    This old heart can't take much more of this.
    I will talk at you when I can.
    Bob

11. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Safe trips and all the best to mom and son. And, grats! Grandpa! I’ve got 4 myself. :)

Bobhmcs likes this.
  12. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I just realized that I hadn’t posted this here. I’ve been playing this one for a few days... just amazing.

The original design
    09E30EED-E80F-4C8C-A1BE-76B24EB568B4. 5DE5D93F-DC37-4EB5-94C9-0708A57AE61A. 56268C33-A377-4E42-9E39-192852734356. 12973A48-BEFD-4AE8-8741-C5A897B40598. 646C327B-3F01-4AB5-88FD-7DAB906E8268. 07895418-9AA7-4C59-AFF7-E2F699AA2615. 495D3721-4707-4DCF-9BFF-71C9BD52AAB9. 8A5DBD68-5754-4EA2-8BB0-D25E9B9B7FF2. 76733E46-5729-494E-85E4-7F3916D0AB45.

13. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Interesting Kro. I always assumed it was to visually line up with the pole pieces and/or correct for general manufacturing errors.

I'm waiting for Fender to finally make a top load (without having to string through holes) bridge. Probably another 10 to 20 years.

14. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Beautiful!
    Interesting as well. A Precision with a Tele headstock. How old is this beauty? Sure has seen some miles.
    I am jealous as ,,, well you know.
    Bob

15. OH-EM-GEE!! Get that beauty over to the Show Your Distressed Finishes thread. That is just WOW.

JIO and StevieMac like this.
  16. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Actually made recently. It’s a Fender Custom Shop Relic. Commissioned last summer and delivered to CME in February. They still have its brother in black relic on their site. I’ve been watching it, I really like nocaster blonde, for about 3 months and couldn’t resist any longer. The single coil P pickup is Definitely a P tone, but different than it’s split coil brothers.

I should do that. I know you posted the link not long ago.

It’s really hard to put this one down. Maybe the best tone best made instrument I’ve played and I’ve played several that I thought were extra special.

JIO and God's Favorite Bass like this.
  17. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I knew it was a FCS relic, but it's a good one. Here's the link to my thread - SHOW YOUR DISTRESSED FINISHES!

18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Wow! I really liked Thin Lizzy back in the day but paying $12,500 for a copy of a 78 P-bass would make me question my sanity. Now don't get upset with me, I'm relatively a new-be back into the P-bass (and Jazz bass) world. I played them in the 70's (who didn't) and migrated to the Musicman, G&L and then eventually to boutique basses in the late 80's. I know that the Fender Custom shop basses are really nice but having played (and worked on) many, many basses I find it hard to believe that Fender could produce any basses that played or sounded any better than the Fender Elite P, 50's RW P and Pro Jazz 4 that I currently own.

What could possibly make it worth $12,500?

19. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I concur. It cannot be correct. The Pino's go for a quarter of that.

JOME77 likes this.
  20. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    If this price is real, you’d be better off finding a good '78, acquire the proper appointments, and give it a good setup. Then you would have a real '78 bass for far less money. The other side of the coin is we are lucky we don't play violin. A longtime friend Joe Grubaugh builds Stradivarius copies which start at 25K.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    JOME77 and 9mmMike like this.