1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Fender Precision Bass Club (Part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RichardPjazz

RichardPjazz

Jun 26, 2018
    Calgary
    Time for an update regarding the current state of Precision-ness in the household.

BDFD2A8A-CCB5-490E-84BF-CCA60C6BD246.
    3BC61203-C5E7-4C46-BD6A-D69AB51AC0DA.
    54B759B2-FC3F-4B71-A195-0A90135D542C.

2. phutyle

phutyle

Jan 18, 2017
    Sunburst cousins:

[​IMG]

On the left is my brand new MIM Classic 50s. Been thinking thinking about getting one for ages, but when I saw they’ve been recently discontinued, I made a move. Think I got one of the last ones available on the European online stores I frequent. Really happy with it. I’m not a fan of new strings, so I threw an old set on, and I’m waiting for a thumb rest to arrive (to go above the E string). That basically fulfils my personal vision of the perfect P.

On the right is an old friend. Affectionately known as the “Pigmeat bass” from my old punk/grindcore/grebo band of that name, my Dad bought it for my 17th birthday in 1990. It was second hand, had a broken white pick guard, a dodgy maple neck and troublesome wiring. Given the music we were playing, none of this mattered.

I have a vision of it having a faded Encore logo on the headstock, but I’m not 100% sure. I had it totally plastered in stickers and newspaper cuttings. It has this weird white plastic “nipple” on the back behind the bridge, that I’ve never seen on another bass, and I don’t know what it’s for.

After the bands I was in dissolved, it ended up in the attic, and life went on for about two decades. About 7 years ago, I took it out, cleaned it up, replaced all the electronics, added the gold pick guard and tried to fix the neck. When that didn’t work, I replaced the neck a couple of times. Currently it has a Mighty Mite unlined fretless neck with nylon wound flats.

So there’s my Ps. Something new, something with a ton of stories under its belt. Both great fun.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  3. BeRad

BeRad

Mar 13, 2018
    My 5 year old has decided that I need to get the Players Precision in Capri Orange. The only online shop that I see has it available is sounds. I've never ordered from them before.

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Bobhmcs likes this.
  4. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Normal? After 32 years in the USN? Gold Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    I have dealt with Zzounds twice. Once for a bridge an once for two CTS 250k pots.
    My experience was very good. They were fullfilled within one working day and arrived 3 days early from the posted eta. With my limited experience I was very happy.
    Bob

R&B likes this.
  5. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Do you mean Zzounds? They are awesome, I've ordered from them quite a bit over the past 4 years. Never had a problem with them.

R&B and Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati like this.
  6. BeRad

BeRad

Mar 13, 2018
    Sorry about the autocorrect. I did mean zzounds.

7. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    Purchased 4 Bass guitars from them in the past two years. Apart from their payment plan the main reason I like them is locality, 3 of the four showed up in a day since they were in their NJ location. Nothing like Next Day Air for free.

Youngspanion likes this.
  8. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    Time for a new pickguard :bassist: IMG_3626.JPG IMG_3623.JPG IMG_3641.JPG IMG_3505.JPG

9. Dooku77

Dooku77

Jul 18, 2019
    Hello group. I recently purchased this American Pro P bass after returning my music man 4HH to the store. Wonderful instrument but heavy. This is my first P bass. I think I made the right choice. Neck had to be shimmed before I purchased. Tone is excellent.

Attached Files:

10. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Normal? After 32 years in the USN? Gold Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Ok,
    It is done! Yay! Those are 4 Hipshot Hb7's. Now I know what it feels like to fine tune. Ok on to the next project. Building a Precision style bass from the ground up. I purchased a three color flame body last night. Should be here by Thursday.
    So how does one go about becoming a member of this here club?
    ;€)
    Bob
    IMG_20190812_134635. IMG_20190812_134556.

God's Favorite Bass and 9mmMike like this.
  11. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Good choice. Hipshots are great!

12. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    I've had all good experiences with Zzounds.

R&B likes this.
  13. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    20190602_124810-1.

14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Nice! '59 custom shop, perhaps?

Midak and 9mmMike like this.
  15. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Good question, Bob. @Nick901 was the last to issue a membership number about 1½ years ago! The Official Fender Precision Bass Club (Part 8)

And just a couple months after that he posted his last anywhere on TB!

Anyone heard anything about how Nick901 is doing, or what happened to him?

Youngspanion and Bobhmcs like this.
  16. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Yes, and I'd swear I was playing a genuine '59. I have it strung with Sadowsky flats and it's an incredibly even-sounding instrument with classic split-coil 'P' tone; Very juicy mids, and the notes in the upper register sound round and full. NO dead spots, and as good as it sounds with fingers, it sounds EVEN BETTER with a pick. The best sounding bass I've ever owned/played. I can play along to any record, by any artist from the sixties/seventies, and it's like I'm right there, sitting in the track with the band. I love this bass.

giacomobass, Juice Box, Midak and 6 others like this.
  17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Ok Fender brothers and sisters.... I am looking for help finding a Fender Precision bass. 5 string. Maple Board. I am looking for a used one. One of the ones that had the Active/Passive push pull switch. I know it is pretty specific, but that is what I am looking for. I am not sure exactly when they were made or the actual model they were. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

18. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I got the 5 string brother and love it. You’ve got a nice player there for sure. I do struggle with the strap choice and the olive green. What strap do you plan to use? Yes, I do tend to accessorize.

19. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez

May 15, 2018
  20. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Fender CS stuff is top-notch. :)

PJ Muzikmansky and Bottom 4 like this.