The Official Fender Road Worn Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Dec 4, 2015.

1. I did a search and couldn't believe we had this glaring omission!

The title says it all. I think its time to drag those who are still hiding in the closet out into the light. Admit it you already have a fender Road Worn bass. Doesn't matter if it's a P or a J. Doesn't matter if you haven't admitted it here on TB. Come clean. The fact is they are better than about 90% of Fenders total output of basses. Sure there are shinier, brighter, more custom models, but hey these also do 90% of anything the others can do! The only thing we're missing is a RW P/J....are you listening Fender. So here we go, I'll kick it off with a pic of me and my P which I put a Jazz neck on. I'm thinking about a different PG, but that's a different discussion. (The numbers will be administered for the time being. Edited) I had a P for 45 years that didn't FEEL any better than a RW. It didn't sound better either, different but not better.

HEY HO, LETS GO! Almost forgot I'm in with numerous uno

1) Kirk Bryant

image.png

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. Come on get in before the rush, be the first on your block!

3. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

IMG_1103.jpg Good morning, K - I'm here before the rush

LennyJ, Garret Graves, JIO and 10 others like this.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Count me in! Here's my 2009 RW Jazz. Great bass!

11149505_10206360351597155_1254936248416717801_n.jpg 10947345_10206360351437151_2927938852001160162_n (2).jpg

Bugpin, SJan3, fender68 and 2 others like this.
  5. bassyboyg

bassyboyg

May 28, 2014
    vermont
    love my RW with LaBella flats, its the smaller frets that makea these delightful.. DSCN0342.JPG

Bugpin, SJan3, fender68 and 4 others like this.
  6. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    cb56, SJan3, fender68 and 2 others like this.
  7. bassyboyg

bassyboyg

May 28, 2014
    vermont
    Bugpin likes this.
  8. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Personally I bought them for how they play and sound. No issues with finish whatsoever while I've had them ...

SJan3 likes this.
  9. foolforthecity

Man, that's just a beautiful picture, period!

SJan3 and bassestkkm like this.
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My 2009 Fiesta Red Jazz at work—Bill's Records in Dalllas, TX.

RoadWornAtWork.jpg

Bugpin, SJan3, fender68 and 4 others like this.
  11. foolforthecity

Very interesting article. So can anyone else tell whether Fullerplast was actually used on the RWs, though? I did read somewhere, no longer remember where, that Fender shipped bodies back and forth to Mexico for Nitro finishing on these since California laws prohibited Nitro sprays. I don't know how true half of anything is anymore though... the Internet can be such a devil of deception and misinformation

12. Nice bike Foo! Oh yea nice bass too.

So i take back the Self serve thing for now. I will keep track of the numbers for the time being but I officially reserve the right to rescind the care taking of the club at some point in the future.

OK SO HERE WE GO!

1) Kirk Bryant
    2) Foolforthecity
    3) Mark Beem
    4) bassyboyg
    5) tedsalt
    6) Jim Carr
    7) basmartin
    8) Ballin'bass
    9) Rodl2005
    10) MrWu

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Jim Carr and mark beem like this.
  13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Fullerplast on Roadworns? No.

14. foolforthecity

Thanks, DJ - that's what I thought, from as close an inspection as my eyes would allow, but wasn't sure if maybe it was some really thin coating of FP to seal it such that I couldn't tell. I was under the initial impression that RWs were Nitro only, but a few posts have popped up recently that seemed to counter this so I wasn't sure what was up.

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Honestly, I can't imagine the wood not being sealed, but what ever that sealer may be, it is very thin, as the nitro wears down to the bare wood very quickly and easily from ordinary player wear.

As for the wood "breathing" or drying, it seems pretty clear the RW series have been built with well-dried Alder that won't get much dryer. The RW bodies are light, dry and thinly finished. There is no layer of thick poly, over or under the nitro.

So yeah, I guess a sealer, probably—but wicked thin, just to keep the paint from showing all the grain or "pores" in the wood. So?
    Play on! :thumbsup:

BTW, pic on my RW Jazz below shows the grain in the unworn area just above the strings near the pick guard and under the strings.

Road_Wear.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  16. foolforthecity

I think you're right on the mark, and yes- play on!

Jim Carr likes this.
  17. basmartin

basmartin

Aug 6, 2007
    Sweden
    My modded Road Worn on the right:
    12189529_10206918557657422_1006059213384793248_n.jpg

Only the neck, body, pick guard and some screws that´s original. Lightweight Gotoh GB640 machine heads, Gotoh 201 bridge, Fender Custom Shop 60´s pickups, CTS pots, Ellio Martina BassMute and Graph Tech strap buttons. A nice bass!

18. Basmartin you're in with number 7! Woo Hoo! Nice looking bass, of course. How do you like the mute thingy? I've never seen one of those before. How about a close up. And I agree these are great modding platforms as well. You don't have to worry about originality if you don't want to. I had no qualms putting a Jazz neck on my P because I liked the bass so much I didn't want to get rid of it just because of the neck. And if anyone wants to trade their RW Jazz neck for the RW P neck I have gathering dust I would be happy to swap. The neck I used is a Mighty Mite and I sanded the back so it feels a lot like the RW, it's close but not quite.

foolforthecity likes this.
  19. bassyboyg

bassyboyg

May 28, 2014
    vermont
  20. basmartin

basmartin

Aug 6, 2007
    Sweden
    No 7 is great, thanks!

Here´s a closer look, although the BassMute is not the focus of this photo....

IMG_4375.jpg

Here´s a demo I did, although it was mounted on an other bass at the time

Also got the bass signed by Christer Fuglesang. The first, and so far only swedish astronaut ever in space. Has done two missions with the Space Shuttle Discovery.

e781abfd-e540-404b-b4f7-3754092d89a5.jpg

And lastly, to not bore you with my storys; here´s Michael League borrowing my Road Worn bass during a jam with the rest of the guys in Snarky Puppy:

Cory Henry also played it! Didn´t film that though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021