Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Official Haggis Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Do you eat it? Do you concoct it? How? Why? Recipes?

2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I know that you can't get the real stuff here in the States, because it contains sheeps' lungs. Knowing that threw up (pun unintended) an immediate road block for me.

3. I'm not surprised it's not available pre-packaged; I figured any Haggis in the states is going to be home-brewed. Frankly, I've never actually seen the real stuff, but the very ingredients are just fascinating & bewildering at the same time.

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Can't get it as in it's outlawed to sell it? Or just nobody sells it because nobody buys it?

5. Yes. No, (but, my Grannie does). Secret. 'Cos it tastes grand. different recipes for different areas and even families.

...and then there's the whole Black Pudding issue to explore. :D

6. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I had some at a wedding in NZ, it was not bad, but not my first choice for main courses.

Tastes about how most other organs do (kidneys, liver) except a nice smooth blend of the lot, all in a nice stomach-shaped package.

It's a bit of an art to make apparently - didn't look easy!

7. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Because it's outlawed. Here's a recipe I found:

1 sheep's paunch (stomach)
    heart, lung and liver of sheep
    salt
    white pepper
    hot red pepper (cayenne preferred)
    1 pound beef suet
    1/8 tsp. nutmeg (or less to taste)
    2 onions, chopped
    6 oz. oatmeal, toasted
    3/4 pint beef stock

Clean the paunch thoroughly and then turn it inside out.

Boil the lung, liver and heart until tender. While you are doing this, put the windpipe over the edge of the pot, draining into another receptacle. Chop the meat extremely fine; grate the liver. Mix the meats with the spices, onions, suet and oatmeal. Mix in the stock and then stuff into the paunch.

NOTE: the oatmeal will enlarge as it absorbs the liquid, so leave extra room. Sew the paunch up and then prick it with a needle. Boil in water for 3 hours.

To reheat, wrap in foil and bake in the over for around 2 hours; since it paunch could break, this will save the filling!

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What's a thread about haggis without a pic?

[​IMG]

9. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I can't help notice there's a triple shot of single-malt scotch next to it. I'd need about 2 of those before I'd even consider eating haggis. And I'm of Scottish lineage.

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Quit kidding them on! :rolleyes:

Haggis are often hunted with Thistle Spears - they are indiginous to the Highlands of Scotland. You get left handed and right handed varieties. Left handed varieties are rarer - just as left handed humns are!

The handed determines which way they run round hills ,this also deteremines which set of legs are longer - left handed Haggis (plural and singular) run round hills in a left handed or counter clockwise manner, therefore their right hand side legs are longer (to facilitate keeping their bodies level on ground that drops off!) Right handed Haggis are the opposite....

Traditionally they are hunted with thistle spears - sharpened thistles approximately 4ft long (the sharpening is done with the Skian'Dhu).....however these days more up to date methods are often employed (beware of buckshot in your Haggis).

Both left handed and right handed taste the same - wonderful on their own with a whisky chaser, often served with tatties (potato) and neeps (turnip) in equal quantites (this is my favourite) or deep fried with a large helping of chips - the nototrious Haggis Supper!

Haggis, tatties and neeps is my favourite....but I have been known to partake of the odd Hagis Supper! :cool: :D

11. I like to try local dishes when I visit other countries. Haggis does not ring my bell when compared to apfel strudel in Austria, freijao in Brasil, dal in India or even fish and chips from a street vendor in England. However when compared to Vegemite in Australia, eating Haggis is like eating pasta putanesca at a restaurant in Napoli.

12. Has anyone ever seen the cartoon in the book 'Cats' entitled(or at least captioned)'Where the wild Haggis romp'?
    I'd also like to highjack this thread & steer it right into a huge portion of the aforementioned Black Pudding. DrDrill?

13. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    It was based on a dare. Like most of scottish cuisine.

14. ...and all the left over lips, hooves, nostrils and scrotums are sold on to the fast food manufacturers, so nothing goes to waste :D

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If anyone is ever in NYC, you can try haggis at the St Andrews pub/restaurant, on 44th b/w 6th and 7th.
    They also have scotch eggs, another Scottish health risk on a plate, and curried chips. They're delicious! Oh, and their beer and whisky collection is great also

16. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Haggis can be amazing and it can be truly awful. It depends where you buy it... and it is better bought.

Here's a picture of the winners of the Scottish Haggis Masters 2005...

[​IMG]

17. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Those guys look a little too much like Shriners.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Will have to stop in their some time, thanks Dave.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's weird how grossed out we get by others cultures foods, and yet we have on problem eating a portion of a cow's ass.

20. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Dr. Phil?