Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The official, "Hey well, I liked this song, now what..." thread

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 21, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This thread is an excuse for me to ask about the band XTC. I really like some of their stuff, but I really hate some of their stuff. I bought Rag N' Bone Buffet which is a collection of B-sides and rarities. I really like Extrovert, Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen, Respectable Street, Scissor Man, and Heaven is Paved with Broken glass. The rest of the stuff on their ranges from toleratable to bad. So I basically like their more rockin' stuff.

So for me, would any of their other stuff be worthwhile.

But the other purporse of this thread is if their is an artist you have heard a single from or something on a compilation, it's a chance to ask fans where to go from that point.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Great Band! "Dear God" is one of my all time favorite songs.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oddly enough, the video for Dear God was partly responsible for me wanting to learn how to play saxophone!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Skylarking and Nonsuch are the 2 I still have floating around my collection. I've got the greatest hits too

5. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    XTC is one of my fave bands, Colin Moulding a big influence.

If you like their upbeat poppy numbers I recommend their earlier records, particularly 'Black Sea' (from whence comes the delicious 'Respectable Street'), 'Drums and Wires'.
    'Dear God' is on 'Skylarking', and if you haven't at least given that record a listen-thru, youre' doing yourself a disservice. Easliy in the top 20 of all time for me. Maybe even top ten.

Those are my faves. But I also love 'Oranges and Lemons', 'Englsih Settlement', 'Apple Venus vol 1', etc.

Did I mention I like them a lot?

Actually, based on what you liked on R&BB, I suspect that if you bought almost any of their records you'd dig the crap out of them. Rag'n'Bone is alright, but it is a B-side and cutout collection. I mean, you're pretty much seeing only the cat's butt there....

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That was my assumption. I mean, if this is the stuff they didn't really "want us to hear" the other stuff must be top drawer. :hyper:

Luckily now the music store I go to lets you hear little samples too.

7. Not about XTC, but I played a show with a Chicago band called triplefastaction. I don't remember much about the show, but then I got a compilation that a friend's band was on and loved the triplefast song on there. They got signed to Capitol, did one record, got dropped, made a superb record and called it quits. The drummer is now in Local H and the bass player put out a really cool record last year or the year before.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I finally remebered the other band I wanted to ask about... HAWKWIND. I got a live 2 disc recording. Pretty rough sound quality, but really really cool tunes. Rockin' and Trippy. I want to hear studio stuff now. The Live disc was Year 2000: Codename Hawkwind Volume One. Where do I go from here?

9. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Mmmmmmm....... Hawkwind..... Now THAT'S a spicy meatball.

Actually, my favorite Hawkwind stuff is all live. Like Brixton '72.
    "Space Ritual" is an expensive import, but it f-in' rocks. "In Search of Space", the "Friends and Relations/Rarities" collection that's out there in several forms. There are lots of comps. so you kinda have to research to figure out the studio records.

Plus, all the studio records sound different from each other. So that makes it easy to figure out where to start.... not.

I kinda think you can't go wrong, though. They were pretty awesome well into the 80's....

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I also have a love-hate relationship with XTC.

The album I keep coming back to is Oranges and Lemons. For some reason, it's not considered one of their best, but I think there isn't a bad song on that album. Also, the basslines are pretty wild. Some very definite echoes of Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper on that record.

11. Amen. That album was a watershed of ideas, and I think it may be Colin's best work. His line for The Mayor Of Simpleton is among my all-time top ten bass lines. Some days Senses Working Overtime (English Settlement) and The Mole From The Ministry (25 O'Clock) sneak in there too.

12. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I like "What In the World?"... Very McCartney '66.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This thread is now about XTC!