The Official Hurricane Sandy East Coast thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stratovani, Oct 26, 2012.

1. We're still a couple of days away, but it's looking like the Upper East Coast of the US is going to get hit, with the center projected to slam into New Jersey. Here in New England we're hearing that it could be anything from a tropical storm to the Perfect Storm Part Two. All the generators have been bought up, and people are doing the usual run on the grocery stores. Me, I did my run to my local packy, so I've got enough beer to ride it out! :D

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Here in Eastern NC we deal with big storms all the time. And yet people still wig out every time one comes our way. Even though this one is supposed to skirt us to the north a little, I bet there's not a gallon of milk to be had here. Y'all hang in there! You may lose power for a couple of days but you'll be fine. I think a lot of it is hype for generating good ratings for news stations. Every time we hear we're going to be wiped off the map we get a little rain and a few trees down.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's a conspiracy brought to you by the fine folks of the BBB (Battery / Bread/ Bottled Water) Consortium to boost sales.

Stay safe out there.

5. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Guess I'm going to figure out just how water proof this old house I just moved into is. The derecho back in June did some damage by pulling a bunch of loose shingles out, and those winds only lasted for an hour. This hurricane is spose to blow for over 48 hours.

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    as long as I have weed, screens, & my bic....I'll be fine

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Man.... from listening to the local news here, it don't look no good for us here in Jersey. Crap.

You know what the worse thing about all of this is? I JUUUST farking finished up repairing the last of the damage from hurricane Irene last year.
    2' of water in the basement, damaged furniture, paneling, woodwork, furnace, hot water heater etc etc. it even got me thrown out of a band because I couldn't make practice for two weeks while I was bailing out and rebuilding stuff....and now..? If the reports are right, may get 2x the amount of rain. :bawl::bawl:
    This time around though I have a generator and two sump pumps. With a little bit of luck that'll help stave off at least some of it... (I hope...)

8. Good luck, buddy! Hopefully they are over-forecasting! That's my guess, at least.

9. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    I hope so too. Thankfully I live in the hills of northern Long Island, about 50' ASL, so flooding isn't a huge concern.

Just need to put the last of the lawn furniture away, make sure there's gas in the generator.

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Thanks dude! Well there's one thing we have going for us over Irene, at least the ground's not totally saturated like it was last year when it hit. That likely played a big part in it all, but who knows.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Start your generator and let it run a bit as well, prior to. They have a knack of gumming up if they've been sitting for a while like mine.

12. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Hopefully the weather reports turn out to be a bunch of fearmongering like usual, and the whole storm turns away from the mainland and we just get a sprinkling.

Good idea to do a pre-storm startup of your generators to check if they are working. Most people don't bother to winterize them.

Meanwhile, I will be having a hurricane anticipation party on Sunday. Grilling under the carport while the early rains come down. Might be the last chance to relax for a moment after the chaos brakes out on Tuesday and all time and money is diverted to restoration.

13. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    Thanks for the reminder. I mean to start it once a month - along with the snow blower - but the last time I remembered was probably six months ago.

14. sleep in a canoe in your living room

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah do it soon so you have time to work on it if it's not firing up. When you do get it going, it's a good idea to put a fuel treatment into the gas to clean out the carb and lines.

16. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    need to put my bass guitars in a inflatable raft. Save the basses!

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sunday I'm taking anything worth keeping out of the basement. Other than that, bought a few extra cases of water, bread, peanut butter and some other dried foods. Nothing we wouldn't normally eat, just a bit more.

18. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    I work in Manhattan and the city apparently started contacting building owners warning that they may force businesses to close at noon on Monday to give people enough time to get home in case the trains get flooded or stop because of the wind.

Even said they may shut the power down in the building as a precaution and that we should shut our servers down if we are forced to go home early on Monday.

I'm hoping it's much ado about nothing like Irene was (mostly) for us...though I know others got hit way harder when Irene came through.

Good luck east coasters!

19. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Well, it's a major power outage that I am more worried about than the actual rain and wind. My house is on high land so I don't have to worry about flooding. I am a highlander. I will be wearing a kilt whilst riding out the storm.

20. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Made it through the Thousand Year storm 8 years ago. This one just has 70 mph winds added in.