The Official: I hate Phillips head screws thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I do. They are stupid... what's the point? They are the most common screw... and what purpose does it serve.

So my little weak screws on the back of my bass to my active pickup battery area are stripped. They wouldn't be if they were flathead...

What's the point of phillips head or any of it's bastard children.
  2. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

I'm just the opposite. I hate flat heads. No real reason....they just seem...I don't know...poor?
  3. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    americans dont have robertson screws due to some liscencing snafu similar to the avro arrow [ f16] both canadian inventions.

4. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    man they always get the heads screwed out and i hate them also
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I know what you mean... for some strange reason. But Phillips head piss me off. Because I'm an idiot/poor I always end up stripping screws.You'd have to try really hard to strip a flathead.
  6. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    yea there so god damned tough i love them
  7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I find that when I use a screwdriver of the proper size, my phillips head screws never become stripped. I also always make sure to use the proper amount of force.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Yes, this is obvious, if you use your tools correctly and have the right tool for the right job, you won't have any problems. *BUT* that doesn't have any bearing on matt's gripe, a gripe that I share myself. The philips screwhead requires(lest you strip the screws) a) the right size screwdriver b) knowledge on how to use a screwdriver properly c) you to have 2 sets of screwdrivers

As far as I can tell, there is no practical advantage for using philips screws over flatheads, considering that the flathead could be properly unscrewed by a monkey and it still wouldn't get stripped!

So, to re-ask matt's question: Why do philips head screws exist? For what applications are they clearly more desirable than their flathead counterparts.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Do you guys use velcro shoes too? :smug:
  11. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Hey! I've found a hammer works equally well on ALL screws!

How 'bout them splines?
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Ironic, upon doing some research I have learned that the philips screw was originally designed for powered screw drivers, who's lazy now!
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    work smarter, not harder Mr.Robot. :bassist:
  14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It helps if you use the right sized screwdriver. :)
  15. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    well , after repeated use , any old screw will wear out eventually . my advice to you would be a trial seperation , and dating other screws .

here's your chance to find love again.... :D
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Phillips screws work much better for power screwdrives, and for driving a screw into wood with a screwdriver. Ever tried that with a flathead?

Torx screws pwn all.

17. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Stop buying cheap screwdrivers from auto parts stores :meh: . Go to a reputable hardware store and ask for Klein. Better yet, get the 10-in-1 and leave it in your gig bag, it comes in handy in all sorts of places. While you're there, you could possibly search for a replacement screw that isn't stripped.

Edit: :D HEX HEAD FOREVER!!!!:D
  18. Being a part time CNC machinist I prefer socket head cap screws myself.
  19. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a big fan of the aforementioned Torx screws, but my personal favorites are:

Clutch Type G - used mostly in mobile homes and truck trailers

Tamper Resistant Torx - Like torx, only the bits are harder to find.

Spanner - Used mostly in security involving electronics and displays

And tri-wings - Just plain nuts, in case you can't decide between flat head and phillips.
  20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The point is tool manufacturers need to sell tools. So, if we re-invent the fastener we can sell more tools. Phillips head, Pozidrive (which look almost exactly like a Phillips but aren't), Allen head, Torx, Inverted Torx, Tamperproof Torx.......the list goes on and on and on..........

Ask anyone in the automotive industry about all the different fasteners out there and the tools required to service them. I'll bet I've spent more on tools in the last 20+ years than JT has on mega-string Conklins.