Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Official "I Have a Problem With GAS" Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by darkfish01, Dec 26, 2005.

1. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I'll be the first to admit that I have a problem with GAS. I've only been playing for about a year and a half, and in that time I've had an Ibanez GSR200, a cheapo Stagg, a MIM Fender Jazz, a Spector Performer, and an OLP MM2. Right now I have the GSR200 (that I never play), the Spector, and the OLP. I went to Guitar Center and almost traded in my GSR200 and Spector for a Spector Legend 5, but my dad embarked a few words of wisdom and I refrained. I need help! :crying:

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I definitely do. I'm GAS'in for more things than I can think about.

Pedals: Digitech JamMan, and a tuner of sorts
    Pedalboard: I'm having one worked on right now by my dad's friend who's an Artisan, but I WANT IT NOW!
    Stick: 10 string Rosewood Stick with albalone inlays, too bad they're 1900 freakin' dollars.
    Bass: I'm not really seriously GAS'in for a new bass like I am for the pedals and the Stick, but i'd like to have a fretless 6 string Brice and a nice 4 string with humbuckers that I can use a pick on.

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    GAS is bad.

I'm really wanting a new acoustic guitar (mine is going to need $200 of fretwork in the next year according to my guitar tech).

I could also use a new pedalboard, since mine is kinda crappy. A groovy new power supply for the pedals would be great. Some sort of complex digital delay would also be welcome.

A case for my amp? That sounds good. Some new PA gear? Monitors? Subwoofers? In ear monitors? A new drumset? A mandolin? Another Les Paul? A six string bass? A fretless bass? An upright bass? New lighting system? Replacing all my cables with Monster cables? Trailer and van for all this new gear?

Boo, GAS.

4. I had a good idea for a cure to GAS - instead of buying everything - make it instead. There's a lot of things you just don't need, and practise with woodworking gets some pretty good results.
    This didn't cure my GAS, but did slow me down a whole lot.
    (insert WIFE = Happy)

However the funny thing is, a friend of mine wanted to know the brand of stuff I had, cos it all looked the same - with black carpet/corners etc. Then he started talking big about going into business making the stuff commercially.... :scowl:
    I made a rack, pair of 1x15 cabs, pedal board, guitar case and my next project will be a new custom bass........ :help:

BTW Dkerwood - pedalboards are easy! Just use an old sega master system transformer, with a whole lotta 9v caps in parallel = no line noise. Have fun.

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

Do what I do, be a broke 15 year old and GAS for things that are hella expensive so you spend long periods of time saving up money.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Haha I was like that, but I got a job at a guitar shop.

I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse though. Half the paychecks don't even make it into my wallet...

7. steve21

steve21 Banned

Sadly, as soon as I'm old enough that's probably what'll end up happening to me... :(

edit, or should it be "As soon as I'm old enough that's probably what'll happen to me :hyper: :bassist:"? who knows.

8. IO seriously have to blame YOU PEOPLE for my GAS... I was very happy and content with my ARIA Pro Magna Series II until I started reading Talkbass! that and meeting bassAussie... lol

In the space of a year and a half I've gone from the Aria to:

- Bass Collection 5 String... (Sold it)
    - Fender Jazz Classic 60's (Kept it)
    - Keytone Semi-Acoustic Bass (Sold it)
    - Fretless Oakland (Sold It)
    - OLP MM2 (Selling it)
    - Musicman StingRay (Bought it recently... Definitly a Keeper)

and I'm STILL GASSING... Bad man... at least I keep selling some of my basses, and dont keep a collection as some people...

Thats not even talking about effects... always buying and selling those, constantly going for higher quality brands...

I'm a GAS-O-Holic and I like it... My account doesnt though...

9. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    *raises hand*
    I thought i had the worst GAS hear, but apparently I don't. the problem is that what I want changes with the wind. like, one minute ill be playing bass and want a new distortion BAD. then I'll be looking at paintball stuff, and want new paintball stuff. and so on and so on.
    but I really want a fender 5 string j-bass, an english muff'n, an SVTDI, a BSE410HLF, an SVT-3 pro, a 105Q wah, and a digitech whammy pedal.

10. jkjgiants26

jkjgiants26

Sep 12, 2009
    California
    Haha thats what i did, same age to. Had $500 (not that much) saved up bought a Boss RC-3 pedal and fretless neck for my Squier Jazz. Now I'm broke and GASing more than ever for a Warwick Rockbass Corvette (i found for $300 used), and Fishman Fission Bass Powerchord Octave (which if i would had i not found out about couple days ago would have bought that instead of the RC-3 even though the RC-3 is pretty fun). Now i have to sell some stuff but my parents don't want me to get a new bass so looks like ill maybe get the Fishman Fission Bass Powerchord Octave and wait till next year when I'm 16 to get a job at my local music shop

11. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    West Africa
    This place(TB) gives me most of my GAS!

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's a disease, but at least GAS isn't as bad as gambling, prostitution, or drugs.