1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official "I never owned a P Bass, and don't intend acquiring one" Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Disclaimer: Sorry folks, I'm afraid that due to how this club turned out, basically being hijacked by trolls. I see it in every ones best interest that I'll disband it. For further information about this I refer to this post by me: The Official "I never owned a P Bass, and don't intend acquiring one" Club!, as well as my response to ProgressiveDoom in this post: The Official "I never owned a P Bass, and don't intend acquiring one" Club!

Edit:
    Please be kind and specifically ask for a number if you are interested, hard to tell for me if you just wanted to chime in on the topic or actually want a number in case you are not specifying.

I haven't owned that many basses, but I never actually owned a pure P bass.

My first bass was an Aria Pro II, which basically had a P/J configuration, even if the pickup design is slightly different, then I got a Rickenbacker 4003, a Jerry Jones Longhorn with 2 lipstick tube pickups, a violin bass style bass with 2 of those typical violin bass pickups, a Warmoth with a Rickenbacker style neck pickup and a guitar rail type humbucker in the bridge and now my main is an Ibanez Mikro which has a P/J configuration.

Think I've always used both pickups full up on all those basses.

Only bass I ever owned with only one pickup (not a P though), even if I had an extra slide in pickup to replace it with, was a Dan Armstrong Plexi Bass, and didn't care for neither the tone or feel of that, so that went quickly out the door again.

Don't think I would be satisfied with the tone that just one pickup could provide, even if I am a one tone set and forget type of guy.

So this club is for everyone who:

1. Never owned a pure P bass
    2. If their bass in fact is equipped with 1 or more P pickups don't ever use just a single P
    3. Never intend buying a P bass

Should a member at some point acquire a P bass anyway, I will make sure their membership of this club will be suspended immediately!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    MrWolf14, BlueAliceOasis and Ellery like this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Id join, but a MIM 90's era Pbass recently dropped into my lap, heh! I realize this is far from the finest specimen of the Fender line, but the basic attributes are all there. I wanted to give it a fair shot, but It has confirmed my overall "meh" opinion of p-bass over the years. They just do nothing for me tonally or ergonomically with the baseball bat neck. Hopefully this won't turn into another rant thread, with P-Partisans vs P-Haters dueling it out, but be prepared!

3. abass3005

abass3005

Jun 8, 2017
    I got G&L L2000 for a long time, and recently purchase a fender stu hamm II is it count?

NoiseNinja likes this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Well, non of them are P basses, even if the Stu Hamm II is equipped with a P pickup, my own main bass, as mentioned, also have a P pickup.

What I would define as a P bass is any bass that just got one classic P style pickup and no other pickups.

So you are in, and I hereby award you with the mighty honor of being member #2 of this magnificent club!

Sorry Gilmourisgod, but can't let you in, you had the right attitude, and could properly have been a great member of this exclusive club, even made it far and accented to great glory within our order, but I am afraid your P got in between you and your good intentions.

You know, nothing personal, but rules are rules.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member list of The Official "I never owned a P Bass, and don't intend acquiring one" Club:

#1 NoiseNinja, the dear leader and chieftain of the knights who says "NoP!"
    #2 abass3005

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    abass3005 and Gilmourisgod like this.
  5. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Amazeballs.....

I think it says more about the iconic stature of the Precision bass than anything else when a bunch of folks would actually start an official anti-Precision bass club. Wow.

At any rate, I wish you all well. And rest easy knowing you won't ever get a number request from me.

obimark, GregC, Smelly and 10 others like this.
  6. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Only dead fish swim with the stream!

Thanks though.

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You may consider an alternate name* or aka for your club:

Haven't learned to appreciate a PBass yet club

Or

Obstinate for the sake of contrarian bragging rights club.

*all good natured ribbing, naturally. Play what you want.

8. How 'bout a club for people who have never jumped out of a perfectly working airplane and don't ever intend to do so?
    1. Never put on a parachute.
    2. If they are wearing a parachute, still won't jump.
    3. Will never get on an airplane.
    :laugh:

9. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Should be called "P-haters club"

10. What prompted this??:roflmao:

twinjet and dryheatbob like this.
  11. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark

12. Phaters.
    Tight!

13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Why stop there? That's a very arbitrary definition. A true P hater would also exclude any bass with a split coil. Or are you a poser?! :nailbiting: You don't want to be a poser. Drop the split coils, for your own sake.

14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I WON'T eat my vegetables....

I won't...I won't...I WON'T!!!!

15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Does 'P' stand for... polarizing?

16. I think in this thread, it might. :smug:

faceless_master and Spidey2112 like this.
  17. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    People who are missing out club

18. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    And of course, you get to decide who is and who isn't "dead fish"?

So now the touch of arrogance reveals itself in this club...

twinjet and Ace Of Bass like this.
  19. And as long as there is hate, you might as well include flats and Tort and any bass with just two knobs.
    Hating all things equally is not being prejudiced. :laugh:

20. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    A little humor doesn't hurt anyone.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.