1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Ibanez TMB Talman Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ERIC31, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Brian VT

Brian VT

Mar 8, 2017
    The survey seems to say...
    “If you can only have one bass, this is one of the best options out there.”
    I’m very happy with mine (TMB100). Bone stock. I may treat it to one of those fancy pick guards some day. Not cuz it matters. Just cuz.

stingray69 likes this.
  2. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    I gotta agree with you about the weight. My 600 was a boat anchor!

stingray69 and Aidil like this.
  3. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    FYI: Talman is NOT a Jazzbass!

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Seem I was wrong thinking with body made of ash, the 600 series would be lightweight.

I have an SR Multi Scale 6er which body is made out of swamp ash, which is very light. AAMOF, it is the lightest 6 string bass that I've ever owned. To my knowledge, swamp ash is lightweight due to being a low density wood which used to be filled with water. And I thought it would be the same thing with ash as they only omitted the word swamp. So I was wrong...

and I learn something new today.

JeffJ2112 and stingray69 like this.
  5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I've been there more than once myself with the Swamp Ash vs. Northern Ash thing.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    JeffJ2112 and Aidil like this.
  6. Here's my experience. I picked up a TMB100 in December, NOS from a music store that had gone out of business (owner was selling stock from his home) for $140. Strings were crap, action was a mile high, but I I liked the feel of the neck and the balance on a strap. Did a fret level and crown and made a brass nut. Noticed that the stock bridge had 3/4" spacing while the pickups were the slightly wider 20mm; I installed a heavier 20mm bridge from (IIRC) an SX; I had to position the bridge slightly closer to the neck in order to be able to intonate the G string (you can barely see the original holes in the pic). I ran into the same problem a lot of you have been reporting about the tuners; the flat cloverleaf part became loose from the shaft. I reattached it using epoxy and put the epoxy on all three other tuners prophylactically. Looks a little bit funky up close but does the job. I was unhappy with the noise and low output from the J pickup. I was going to spring for a DiMarzio Area J but decided to try a cheap ($23 shipped) Chinese blade type first. Because the blades were flat, the E and G strings were noticeably louder than the A and D. I solved this by grinding semicircular notches under the two louder strings. Now the J pickup is usable by itself; it's not as bright as the original, but gets a nice mid-rangey growl with the bass control turned up around halfway. I'm very happy with the EQ and P pickup. 20190502_135209. 20190502_135209. 20190502_135700. 20190502_135209. 20190502_135700.

Attached Files:

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  7. Sorry about the pics, I realize now what I did. I should also add that the bridge pickup required opening out the rout slightly; I actually did it with a small grinder attachment on my drill, rather than remove all the hardware and electronics to use my router. I managed to slightly chip the finish in doing so, but managed to reattach the chip.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  8. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    brianc91764, would you tell us how easily the old nut came out?
    Thanks.

Edit: The nut in the TMB30 is a soft plastic. Was yours?

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  9. Yes, mine was plastic. I don't remember it being much trouble.

10. arakiri

arakiri

Feb 10, 2019
    hiii new here just got my tmb100 this week as my first bass, i rly like it i think its so versatile with the active eq and the P sounds awesome. i bought from a guy who got it new from a store, he even have me the hex that came with it andd an ibanez cable (also a stand and a cheap clamp tuner). he had it for 3 years and barely played it, stock strings and all and i cant complain, they are not rusty and im not too crazy abt bright tone either so for now im keepin them on unless i wanna try to go for some drop tuning (BEAD or standard D or even CGCF idk)
    i didnt like the stock pickguard at all and gettin a custom one made was too expensive (like half what the bass cost me and i rly struggled to save the money) so i picked a black vynil sheet and put it over it. looks fine but up close i wasnt very careful with the finishing so has some ugly details, but i dont mind too much. also got a strap for it!! anyways heres some pics excuse de low quality

Attached Files:

• bb2.
      bb2.jpg
      File size:
      85.9 KB
      Views:
    ERIC31, stingray69 and JeffJ2112 like this.
  11. IMG_20190503_124414 (2). Hi all - new member here :) Already picked up a mass of tips and tricks from this forum so pretty glad I found this place.
    Been a Talman TMB100 owner for a few weeks and so far been very pleased with it - I've hankered after one for a long time and finally managed to get budget approval so went for it. Had to make a few changes to the stock unit...
    - Replaced the LH nut with a RH graphite nut
    - Restrung with Rotosound Roto Bass 45s (45-105) and bridge rejigged to suit the new string layout / gauge
    - Fitted Schaller-style straplocks
    - Block inlay stickers (I have these on pretty much all of my basses and guitars and have never had any trouble with them raising or what have you)

Currently waiting on a set of Hipshot Ultralight tuners (stock tuners are a bit meh) and an Extender to save faffing about retuning between songs - not sure if it really makes all that much sense to spend so much on a low-cost bass but it's my main squeeze so I'm dealing with it :)

Love how it sounds in the context of my band - cuts through when it needs to, plenty of presence and grunt to spare. Never been happier with a bass tone to be honest. Plus - it's just so cool looking in my eyes :)

dr doofie, ERIC31, bpabon and 3 others like this.
  12. arakiri

arakiri

Feb 10, 2019
    cool strap!!! what does you and your band play?

13. We're a covers band - we do Black Keys, Strokes, Kings of Leon, Oasis, Feeder, Undertones, Hives, lots of indie rock stuff really. And a couple of old Stones / Free / Queen numbers. Been working hard to get the set gig-ready for our first outing on Saturday 11th May.

14. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    I think all the 600 series are heavy. I've yet to hear of one that isn't!

15. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I can only speak for the one I briefly owned, but I've seen several comments on TB that seem to support that statement.

16. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I think that could be expected — you know, ash vs. mahogany or poplar, and all.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does your Talman 5 have a rosewood board? I found one that's listed with a rosewood board, but the pic seems to show the jatoba board...not rosewood. I was hoping to find a rosewood boarded one....although the one I found is only 9lbs which is great.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    This seems to be the jatoba board...
    20190506_192126.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    alanolynn and IamBuzzy like this.
  19. Looks like Jatoba to me also. I’m pretty sure that’s what you can expect for a 2019 model. See Ibanez.com for descriptions of current models. Retailers may have upgraded the picture but not the description on their sites. GC sometimes has a few of last years models hanging on a wall somewhere. A call to them may help you locate one. Or, there is always the used market.

emjazz likes this.
  20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, and looks like the strings are off on that one as well...much more space on the bass side fingerboard than the treble side.

stingray69, alanolynn and IamBuzzy like this.