1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Ibanez TMB Talman Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ERIC31, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Aaaah thanks, weird though, that U had to file Ur nut & my strings fell right into place. Although that might also be the explanation to my tuning problem..

I knew i should've read all TalkBass threads before getting new strings!

2. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Mine were all metal, and therefore slick. Yours might be squeezing into the slots a little, I don't know.
    Oh, what I said about "thump" in post #952 might not apply as much to your nylon wound strings, I don't know.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  3. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, those are some beefy strings, and they are likely binding in the nut. I’ll bet you had to pop them in. A simple, gentile widening of the nut is in order.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  4. @sdgrfan, I own a TMB600. They can vary slightly in weight but most I’ve heard about tend to come in somewhere around 10lb. Being that you got the last one in stock it may have been the heaviest one. Part of the weight issue comes from the body slab being ash wood and that’s northern ash not swamp ash. Very attractive in natural finish though. First thing I did was to swap out the stock tuners with Hipshot Ultralites. That shaved almost a pound off the weight and eliminated any neck dive concerns. Mine is weighing in at 9.2lb. It’s a versatile bass with a wonderful growl. You’re going to love those CND pups. The 600 is my #1 go-to instrument. It’s a great “rock” bass and I’m a very happy owner. Comparatively, many Precisions weigh in at 10lb or more so keep that in mind...
    As far as strings, I couldn’t imagine using anything but Rotosound 66 Steel round-wound on my 600. I think they sound great on a TMB but that’s just me and what I like in string sound. You may be seeking something entirely different. Welcome to TMB world!

sdgrfan likes this.
  5. Herbie Chesnutt

Herbie Chesnutt Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Wake Forest, NC
    Doing a parts Talman. I got this loaded body for the electronics in order to get my trans red TMB100 back to stock.

Now that I've got that bass all sorted, I'm gonna get nutty with this guy. I've got a tbird pickup coming from China. And this cheap eBay neck is fine for what I'm doing, which is just goofing around.

Took about 10 minutes of not too careful sanding to get the neck to fit into the pocket.

IMG_20190612_125048.

ERIC31 likes this.
  6. Well, the weight scared me off and I canceled the order. 10 pounds, 10 ounces. I just don't need that hanging from my shoulders. I love the looks. I wish Ibby made the short scale (TMB30) in an upscale model like the TMB600 or even the TMB2000. I realize I could mod it to death, but I'm not really into that. So I guess I'll have to leave this club for now. I did, however, buy a new AGB200 that was only 7 pounds and is a short scale (30"). Woohoo! :)

Outtaseezun and IamBuzzy like this.

7. Haha you're here too! I want that bass!!! lol

sdgrfan likes this.
  8. I love the looks of the Talman basses, Outtaseezun, but 1) it seems to be designed for rock (which my SR650 covers very well) and 2) this particular one is so freaking heavy. My SR650 is only about 7 pounds. But I guess it is the nature of the slab TMBs to be heavy basses. Besides, I really wanted the Artcore hollowbody to string up with Chrome flats for a warm sound. It should give me a nice variety.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  9. i don't play rock at all. Have Black Nylon Tapes on my TMB30 and absolutely love the sound of them! And it's super light too! I haven't tried the long scale TMBs though.
    But the Artcore are sweet! I just sold a bass, but i'll be unemployed through the summer so can't afford one even with that bass gone...
    Lucky U! Enjoy that sweet bass for the both of us!

sdgrfan likes this.
  10. Outtaseezun, what Black Nylon Tapes are you running on your TMB30?

Outtaseezun likes this.
  11. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    South Jersey
    1FA1913A-B286-490D-9B02-9C6053D50D8E.
    This is my second of these... left handed and affordable
    All the talk of the tort pick guard... when I went to peel off the plastic, it peeled off the tort as well, and left me with a smooth blank white canvas
    Spray painted black with a couple stencils and it’s all set.

12. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, the pick guards are super cheap. A series of film layers barely more weight than the protective film.

dr doofie likes this.
  13. Those: Rotosound RS88S TruBass Strings (65-75-90-115)

sdgrfan likes this.
  14. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    South Jersey
    I occasionally swap out my usual chromes on my Talman and put on d’addario nylons, and oh yes it takes a lot of teasing to get them in place. I’m not sure you mentioned how long you’ve had them on there but I ran into the same trouble, where you barely tweak the peg and it’s like a whole step sharp. I do know they eventually fell into place and if I remember I did actually use pencil in the nut. Once they set in though the tone I got out of it was sweet.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  15. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    South Jersey
    This interests me. So you actually purchased the lefty bass and modded it for righty? I only ask cause I play left handed and these basses are the few in my price range where I can spring for a left handed model, so I’ve had a lot of experience tweaking righty basses. My issues were always neck dives and knob placements but found ways around that.

16. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    South Jersey

17. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    South Jersey

Attached Files:

18. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    South Jersey
    I know this goofy mod to my strap sure fixed any neck dive

19. Thank you very much!
    The strings have been on the bass since March, so they've had plenty of time to get in place... i'll loosen them a little to get some pencil in there, see if that solves it ;°) Thanks a lot for the confirmation that i probably need to do that!

20. Ibanez 2.
    My TMB 30 is now fretless....

slantedpanted, Sub-hoo-fer and bpabon like this.