1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Ibanez TMB Talman Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ERIC31, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ibanez 3.

....and has Nordstrand blade pickups!

venerzky, ERIC31, Sub-hoo-fer and 2 others like this.
  2. Geoffrey Ramsey

Geoffrey Ramsey

Jul 3, 2019
    Joined the club today! Wasn't expecting the sparkle on the Soda Blue finish! AWESOME! Everything seems tight, haven't had a chance to run it through its paces, yet, though. Love the feel. The look is unmatched. Very excited!

Updated with a better pic of my baby in her case. Just a damn gorgeous bass. Finally got to play her some and boy oh boy. I'm in love. 0708191957.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  3. magpiesmoke49

magpiesmoke49

Mar 7, 2019
    20190703_224644.

stingray69, ERIC31 and Sub-hoo-fer like this.
  4. magpiesmoke49

magpiesmoke49

Mar 7, 2019
    Here's my tmb100, purchased very recently. How do I join the club?

5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    You are in!:D

6. I've been looking for a cool shortscale, and ended up with a TMB30 Ivory. Mods so far include Dunlop straplocks, Seymour Duncan PB1 neck pickup and Seymour Duncan Apollo bridge pickup and LaBella Low Tension flatwounds. I've wired the pickups in series and now just have one volume pot and one tone pot. I've ordered a TMB100 tortoise pickguard and a new Ibanez decal for the headstock, because I hate the black headstock and will sand it back and respray it. I have got a set of Hipshot Ultralite tuners to go on, to correct the very slight neck dive. I had the tuners and pickups on hand, so very little extra expense. It plays like a dream. I don't have a smartphone, but will try and get some pics up soon.

7. venerzky

venerzky

Jul 11, 2019
    Agree
    Which Hipshot Ultralite tuners did you bought? Thanks.

8. usernamev19

usernamev19

Jul 10, 2019
    talman1. talman2. Does anyone know how to clean the maple fretboard version of the Talman? I'm not sure if it's unfinished, satin, or something else. Don't want to ruin its look by using something I'm not supposed to.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  9. venerzky

venerzky

Jul 11, 2019
    Agree
    Anyone here already replaced the stock PU with this one?

10. Just the normal ones with the cloverleaf knobs, same shape as the Ibanez cloverleafs but slightly smaller. Only one screw on the back so the other screw holes are filled with pine wood filler.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  11. Like Stan_da_Man, I had heard the Geezer Butlers drop straight in, but I can't find the post in which someone said they'd done it. I found one about Seymour Duncan's dropping straight in though. When I fitted my Nordstrands, I has to widen the J cavity very slightly. About 15 minutes sanding with a bit of sandpaper wrapped around a square aluminium dowel did it. This was on the short scale TMB 30, and I'm not sure if the long scale Talmans have the same issue.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  12. I also bought a Hipshot Kickass bridge and some spray paint for the headstock that matches the body color.

13. Yep, my Seymour Duncans dropped straight in, no problem.

Zoobiedood and Outtaseezun like this.
  14. If you can post a pic with your new tortoise guard when you get it, that would be much appreciated (although I know you said you don't have a smartphone).

15. Yep. Waiting on the tortoise guard and the Ibanez waterslide decal (in black). When they arrive I will sand down and respray the headstock to match the body, then I will get someone to take some pics. I put the Hipshot Kickass bridge on, and combined with the SD pickups wired in series it sounds huge. Plus the extra weight of the bridge makes the balance on the strap absolutely perfect. My left shoulder is gonna love gigging this bass. I have a gig tomorrow night so will be interesting, although the supplied backline is a Fender Rumble combo. My next gig with my rig is three weeks away. My rig is a Genzler Magellan with three Barefaced One10 cabs.

16. I see you've rewired for only two knobs, which is handy, because it looks like the long scale Talmans only have two (stacked) pots, so their pick guards would need an extra hole drilled to be suitable for a standard TMB 30.

Marty Forrer likes this.
  17. Yep. Got awesome response from other musos last night, and I gotta say, that Hipshot Kickass bridge made a big difference over the stock bridge. I'm not into huge sustain, but it was there, even with the flatwounds, and it gave a very sweet, melodic body to the sound. The only disadvantage (not to me, I don't care) is it needs a new set of mounting holes in the body, otherwise the E string saddle will be screwed right hard back. I loved the short scale for playability, and the Ibanez fingerboard and frets are near perfect.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  18. Wiring the pickups in series is a win, win for me. Huge sound, plus I get my variations in sound/tone from the position of my hand and the way I play, not from twiddling knobs.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  19. bpabon

bpabon

May 1, 2017
    is there a diagram on how to do that? Or is this some very obvious trick that everybody else knows? :sorry:

20. My tmb30 is black, so the headstock matches the body. No extra charge from Ibanez!
    Here’s some reasons why I prefer my tmb30 over the tmb100: it’s lighter, less neck dive, and it’s passive. Not a fan of active basses. But I think the tmb100 is a great bass in its own right. If you like active.

Outtaseezun and Zenbassie like this.