1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Ibanez TMB Talman Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ERIC31, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Easy. the white wire from one pickup gets soldered to the black wire from the other pickup. You then have just two wires to connect, the black wire from the first pickup and the white wire from the second pickup. It matters not which pickup is first or second. The white wire may be red on some basses. The black wire may be green on some basses.

bpabon and ERIC31 like this.
  2. jmwreck

jmwreck

Sep 14, 2015
    Sunshine Coast
    hi guys, sorry to derail... but I have seen one local online shop here in AU and their tmb100 is same price as the Yamaha BB234 (on sale). I wanted to have a PJ bass since I already have a 5+string with humbuckers. To those who have tried both, what do you recommend? thanks.

3. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I've had a few TMB100s, two TMB310s and a Yamaha 424x, 434, and 734a. The Yamaha's are very very very nice, and sound aggressive and have great tone, most build quality is above a price matched Fender. That being said, the neck and flatter radius on the Talmans, the retro styling speak to me more. The Talman is less scooped to me, and just has a one of a kind vibe to it.

Of all the Talmans I've gotten new, only one had a bunk tuner, and Ibanez replaced it. Of the BBs, two had tuners busted in shipping and one had a nut that wasn't glued on. For me, the Talmans were easier to get a great setup on.

I still own a Talman, I've sold my BBs. The Talman is gives me a feeling of having a super cheap secret weapon bass that is well beyond it's price.

Bottom line is though, play both in person and pick which speaks to you. You can't go wrong with either!

stingray69, Aidil and Outtaseezun like this.
  4. venerzky

venerzky

Jul 11, 2019
    Agree
    Can you post a pic please?

Zoobiedood likes this.
  5. I don't have a smartphone or a camera, but will as soon as I can get someone to do it for me.

6. Talmans are shipping with pearloids now.
    Screenshot_2019-08-04-21-35-16.

EmuBass, ERIC31 and stingray69 like this.
  7. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    Wow! Ibanez learns fast. Although I doubt they will go back again to the Mahogany-body ... Let's try to convince the company once more!
    Besides: the US Ibanez homepage holds two models "TMB 100K" (in Pink and Sea Foam blue) with a BLACK pickguard:
    TMB100K | Talman Bass | ELECTRIC BASSES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars
    As a specific detail the big picture shows a different bridge which is called "B10 bridge".
    Have a look here:
    NBD - Ibanez Talman TM100
    I have it on my mint green TMB which is one of the first to come with the poplar body.
    The official Ibanez pictures in detail still show the older (simpler) bridge ...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    stingray69 likes this.
  8. amoodymule

amoodymule

May 25, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Mean Mr. Mustard TM100 is suppose to arrive today :D

ERIC31 and stingray69 like this.
  9. I had the Mustard Yellow TMB but it had a problem and I had to return it. What a great paint job those have. It's a nice flat nitroish finish. Perhaps I'll get another and put flats on it. If Ibanez made a TMB 105 in Mustard Yellow I'd pick one up today.

What TMBs are Mahogany? Is mine (below) Poplar?

I guess I'll take a number and join the club. Great bass.
    Screenshot_2019-08-05-08-24-40.

amoodymule likes this.
  10. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    When ordering the TMB100 by the end of 2017 all the world was naming the body to be Mahogany. I received my bass after three months (the back of the headstock says "1P-03") in the beginning of 2018 and had my doubts about that (see: NBD - Ibanez Talman TM100), while the dealer still quoted the body to be Mahogany. By and by (weeks or months later) even Ibanez declared the body as poplar. So I guess we who came too late will have to live by this ....

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Sub-hoo-fer and bassrique like this.
  11. Mahogany is better for furniture, not necessarily stringed instruments. It's heavy. The tonewood debate to me is much ado about nothing.

Poplar is lighter, no? And it's painted a really great color. I'm not concerned with the natural grain look on basses/guitars which Mahogany would win. I love the Mint Green. I get compliments all the time on this bass.

EmuBass likes this.
  12. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    True. Unfortunately the lighter poplar body brings more neckdive!

13. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    What did you put under your strings on the pickguard? A Gaffer-taped "handrest"?

dr doofie likes this.
  14. Sort of. It's a consistant pivot point for slap bass. I can thump/pop without it, but this folded up envelope taped up at an advantageous angle makes slap bass a breeze. Seemingly similarly, I had a Gary Willis bass with the ramp underneath the plucking area which helps with a lighter touch. It prevents digging in. I should not have sold that bass... I also play thump bass with three nickels (bent in the shape of the top of my thumb) glued together for added weight. These two add-ons make slap bass effortless, though I can exaggerate the motion too look cool and kinda "let go" like drummers do.

15. Screenshot_2019-08-05-09-05-23.

16. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    I thought it was some kind of piratey eyepatch, and I love all things modded anyway :)

17. venerzky

venerzky

Jul 11, 2019
    Agree
    Bought them in Amazon. Planning to install the nylon tapewound on my TMB30. 20190806_171210.

Texican likes this.
  18. amoodymule

amoodymule

May 25, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    ...bad phone pic, but, the bass rocks, the band mates and the drummer REALLY like the sound o_O
    I'm still trying to get use to the weight and the color, :meh:

The neck is thick, but a good feel, compared to my Jazz, and my other Ibanez, it is heavier fer sure...

Lots of tones to be had, pre amp adds a ton of girth, taming the brightness is still a tweek or 2 away. I'm not giving up on this one yet, time should tell in the next few weeks.
    A pic of the other Ibby, love the weight, and play ability. I do wish this one had the p-up configuration like the Talman, great price on both :D

IMG_5262.JPG

ERIC31 and IamBuzzy like this.
  19. Throw some Hipshot Ultra Lite tuners on that baby it will eliminate any neck dive and shave off almost a pound of weight. Mine now weighs in at somewhere between 9.7 and 10 (depending on the scale). A lot of Precision basses weigh more than that. And, I LOVE the tone of mine. I also put in a Hipshot Drop-D extender for the E string. Wouldn’t trade it for anything. Congrats on your new Ibby!

amoodymule likes this.
  20. venerzky

venerzky

Jul 11, 2019
    Agree
    Is the hipshot ultralite tuners plug-n-play to the TMB30? Thanks.