1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Ibanez TMB Talman Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ERIC31, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    As I understand it, the Soda Blue finish is a Guitar Center exclusive color rather than a normal factory color.

Oh, and welcome to TB! :thumbsup:

ERIC31 and DRandau like this.
  2. venerzky

venerzky

Jul 11, 2019
    Agree
    Nice pups.

DRandau likes this.
  3. DRandau

DRandau

Aug 23, 2019
    Michigan
    Ok here it is... looks great to me. Sounds great! The work was fairly easy considering my inexperience. Sounds full and fat but punchy and crisp!

Attached Files:

4. DRandau

DRandau

Aug 23, 2019
    Michigan
    Thanks all!

5. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    Bought a TMB30 in green some months back and it is now in the regular gig rotation. I now own several Ibanez: the Talman, an SR300 and an Artcore AGB200 with the "worm-eaten" finish. The TMB30 is a ridiculous value for the money, in my case an open box special for $149.

Sign me up for the club!

Attached Files:

dabbler and stingray69 like this.
  6. Hey everyone! I'm new to Bass playing and my first bass is a TMB100. After a couple months of playing I decided I wanted to give it my own flavor, so I repainted it and put in new electronics. I also decided to get rid of the J-bass pickup since I really wanted a P-bass sound. I also made a completely new pickguard using the old one as a stencil. I call it the "Canadian Tuxedo" since it was inspired by a jean jacket that I own. Right now I'm on the hunt for a TMB300 neck with the square inlays, and it's proven to be a difficult find to say the least. I don't think Ibanez America sells TMB300s anymore. I'm willing to trade necks, or purchase the whole Bass. Just PM me if you're interested

Anyway glad that I found this thread, and glad to be apart of this club since you don't really see that many people screaming from the rooftops about Talmans or even Ibanezes in general. I personally love my talman and think it's a fantastic platform for modding. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  7. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    96EFFBD7-3807-467B-92C8-BA1C0F28F0B3. Excellent work everyone!! So stoked to see so much love for the Talman and my thread/club!!

My TMB-100 is still my #1 as always (with my Ibby SRX2EX2 close behind as #2!! (What can I say....I’m an Ibanez guy!!:D)

I’m considering taking my TMB completely to passive mode to go along with its classic styling. Just a volume and tone knob and replacing the pickups with a good aftermarket set. Any of you done this and if so, how did it work for you?

8. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Great club - very informational.

I'm digging the star motif & inlays! :bassist:

As far as pickup replacements, I've seen a few throughout the thread here & there. I've only replaced the bridge pickup in my TMB105 (with a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz 5) and have been very pleased with it. It was done to reduce the amount of 60hz hum I was getting from the stock bridge pup. Direct replacement, fit perfectly and killed the hum. I'm very hesitant to experiment with the P pickup because I love the current tone - it's got a fantastic deep, woody P-tone already, but maybe in time I'll try something else out. Not anytime soon though I think. Perhaps other will chime in who have swapped out the P pup.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    ConfoundedBridg likes this.
  9. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I swapped the P’ups in my 105 for Delano FEs. Big improvement. Fuller tone overall, and the J is split-coil, so it cancels hum. The Delano P is not a direct fit — a little smaller — just requires re-drilling the screw holes.

I also shielded the cavities. Surprisingly, the J cavity was not shielded at all stock.

And I replaced the pre with an Audere 3-band. Can’t recommend enough swapping the pre.

10. I replaced all my electronics and went for just a tone/volume as well and I love it. I just did P- pups though, not sure how the tone/volume would be with a P/J hybrid. I got my pups from Bass Pickups – Epic Custom Shop and they're great for what I wanted. They're very hot, but he has quite a few pups to choose from if you're looking for something different. Best of all his prices are very fair.

Also if you do decide to get his pups, use the code in this vid and you'll get em a little cheaper!

11. A bit late,but finally got here with a pic. TMB30 with Hipshot bridge and ultralite tuners, Dunlop straplocks, SD SPB1 and SD Apollo pickups wired in series to volume pot and tone pot. Tried a TMB100 pickguard but it is quite different, so made this one from a tort blank. Sanded off the headstock and installed a bass clef decal and sprayed it in satin clear. Levelled and dressed the frets and filed out the nut slots so it plays like butter.
    20190822_112551.

ERIC31, EmuBass, DRandau and 5 others like this.
  12. Sean89sl

Sean89sl

Dec 19, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    That's a great looking 30!!

The changes cost higher than the bass itself XD

ConfoundedBridg likes this.
  13. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, that happens a lot. ;)

14. Thanks. Yeah, they did but I dont care. It plays so easily, the sound is killer and it balances absolutely perfectly on my damaged back and left shoulder. I've had several boutique basses over the years, also vintage basses, and every single one of them had something that wasn't quite right for me, from being too heavy or unbalanced to being limited in range of tones. I wanted a perfect shortscale bass.... now I have it.

15. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    #Truth. :D

[​IMG]

16. Sean89sl

Sean89sl

Dec 19, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    That's a great looking finish!!
    I'm tempted to refinish my 100 !!

stingray69 likes this.
  17. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    For me it sounds nice - have a look: NBD - Ibanez Talman TM100

18. Naviiin

Naviiin

Jun 2, 2019
    In both looks and controls exactly what the TMB30 should have been.

DRandau likes this.
  19. DRandau

DRandau

Aug 23, 2019
    Michigan
    @ stingray69 that finish is dope! Wow!

stingray69 likes this.
  20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thanks man - there's a NBD thread about it, along with a few more pics over here. :thumbsup: