1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Ibanez TMB Talman Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ERIC31, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    Interesting and timely.

Just bought a TMB 100 neck and body on eBay and my late winter project is going to be to purchase parts over time as budget allows and get a working bass. I have some parts already, but...

Will acquire a good 2-band EQ for it. Or maybe run it passive...

I already have a decent Duncan Jazz bridge in the parts bin. Be shopping for a split P. I'll be using flats.

Looking for light weight tuners that will fit the Talman headstock.

You just named a source for TMB pick guards!

I have a bin full of electrical parts, strap pins, etc so I should be good on the rest. I already have a short scale TMB30 that gets a lot of work on stage so this will be the completely unnecessary long scale. 1f609.png

Zoobiedood, stingray69 and nFinnyD like this.
  2. beartone

beartone

Feb 24, 2020
    There is also pickguardian. Pickguardian | Quality Handmade Custom Pickguards I read about them on this thread and I'm sure they're great, but they were late to respond to me. I got impatient and went with pickguardplanet instead.

I had to special order it. They don't have a pickguard specifically for the tmb100. I ordered the PG 1370: IBANEZ TMB310 pickguard and had them delete the switch hole by the cutaway. This cost 20 dollars extra, but it still came out to about $50. From my understanding this is about the same price that pickguardian charges.

I didn't feel like sending my pickgaurd as a template, but the holes lined up perfectly.

If your wanting black, or pearloid I think Ibanez is probably the better way to go.

Ibanez guitars | Contact

They were giving me a quote in the $35 range, but they didn't have Parchment/Black/Parchment.

The bridge seems fine to me, but I will probably get new tuners eventually.

I lowered the pickups and it's a lot smoother, but I'm sure I will try different pickups eventually. I don't think I have a single guitar with stock pickups. lol

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    nFinnyD likes this.
  3. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    As it stands I have now purchased a Silver TMB310 from Reverb! Got a decent price and looks and is said to me in mint condition! To say I’m excited is an understatement. I was originally more interested in the Turquoise, but was having the issues with pricing fairly and existing at all ha! Now that I think of it the Silver will look a lot classier in more situation and with more outfits(the wife says I’m a dork for that last thought)!

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Nice find! :bassist:

Looking forward to any pics you might might want to share when it arrives!

5. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Will do! Now to start looking for the perfect strap to go with it!

stingray69 likes this.
  6. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    Of the bass or the outfits??

nFinnyD likes this.
  7. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Whatever shows that awesome Silver Sparkle finish! :thumbsup:

I've yet to see any of the Talman Sparkle Finish models in person - bet they are sweet!

nFinnyD likes this.
  8. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I have a turquoise sparkle, and yes they are nice.

nFinnyD likes this.
  9. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    The body and neck arrived in good shape. I bought a used pick guard from a guy on eBay who decided he didn't like the color. I found a P and a J pickup in my parts bin. I have a bridge that may work as well although I'm looking at one from a TMB30.

Still thinking about some lightweight tuners that would match up to the holes on the headstock.

Pics when I get further along.

stingray69 likes this.
  10. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    Scrounged up some parts and got out the soldering iron. Wired it exactly like the TMB30 and ended up with essentially a long scale TMB30 with upgraded electronics and nut. I had to use TMB tuners in order to match up the screw holes but they seem good to me. The TMB100 bridge is different than the 30 so I used a Fender bridge. Bought the guard from a guy who didn't like the color, then sprayed it black. Found a couple of used Duncan vintage-spec p'ups. Added a Graph-Tek nut. I had many of the parts so I have about $80 in the project. Not bad.

The TMB100 is not exactly the same: it has a real rosewood neck instead of jatoba that feels wider to me than the 30, more PBass-like to play. I grew up on PBasses so not a problem for me.

Plus, you know, blue sparkle.

IMG_0080.jpeg

nFinnyD, ERIC31 and stingray69 like this.
  11. beartone

beartone

Feb 24, 2020
    ERIC31, jt62, dabbler and 2 others like this.
  12. beartone

beartone

Feb 24, 2020
    Sweet! Side by side. "hehe"

I like how black matches the headstock. I like the contrast of hardware on parchment.

Anyone have a mint green pickgaurd?

13. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Est. Delivery still says Monday, but status shows Loaded on Delivery Truck/ Out for Delivery so we shall see! I hope it’s today as I may not be home to sign for delivery on Monday. And of course, sooner is always better!

lowplaces and stingray69 like this.
  14. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Did you get it today???!!!!

15. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    It actually went from Out for Delivery to In Transit about 15 minutes ago and no bass today. Looks like Monday it is, which is unfortunately a busy day for me so I’m hoping I’ll be home to sign for it or it’ll be Tuesday before I can get my hands on it!

16. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    I got it today and so far am liking it! I’ll get some pics in good light tomorrow! It’s got a bit of a champagne coloration to it, I haven’t pulled the guard to see if it’s just the way it is or discoloration.

peteygrizz and stingray69 like this.
  17. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Well I’ve decided that it’s a keeper. I played it almost all last night took a break to change to the lowest 4 strings of a 5er set, set it up for DGCF and now we’re really rocking. This thing is LOUD I lowered the pickups several times and now I’m just getting them dialed in. Only thing at all bothersome is the sharp corners on the pickup covers. Here’s some pics including my other main squeeze. 3FAFD22F-CF34-4BC7-B0BA-9C48D43F6B3D.jpeg D110C44C-C0BE-4CD4-86D5-2BA43F71E196.jpeg 1B3BD730-9243-4B72-AABB-ACB373914425.jpeg

BassmanM, jmbass_1, lowplaces and 2 others like this.
  18. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Nice score!

I have a red TMB300 coming. My third one!

stingray69 and nFinnyD like this.
  19. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    was this on GC online?

20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Nice! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

And yes - the output volume of the Talmans are very robust! :thumbsup: