1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Ibanez TMB Talman Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ERIC31, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    The pre is too-freakin’-hot if you ask me. I swapped for an Audere; much better. YMMV, of course.

stingray69 likes this.
  2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Agreed - the stock pre is very hot, mine's since been replaced too.

nFinnyD and Stevorebob like this.
  3. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    While I’m happy with the organic, almost passive-like sound of the Audere, were I to do it again, I think I’d go with an Aguilar, something with more character. I believe that would fit the bass better.

stingray69 and nFinnyD like this.
  4. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    I’ve heard great things out of the Aguilar, for the moment I’m able to manage the high levels coming out of it and would prefer to leave as is. We’ll see how it does at rehearsal on Thursday and the show on Friday though!

stingray69 likes this.
  5. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Nope, but I did have my eye on it.

A P with an MM type humbucker is fantastic.

nFinnyD likes this.
  6. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Agreed, I wasn’t really considering any of the other series but the 300/310 because my 655 does the PJ so well. Also the bound and blocked fingerboard is a nice plus that only the 600 and up have. Can’t wait to hear how you like yours!

7. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I have another 300 and a 310. They are superb basses.

8. RabbiShankar

RabbiShankar Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been working up the GAS for a TMB500 or 505, to possibly replace my SUB Ray 4. They should be at the local GC next week. Anyone have thoughts on whether I should just keep the SUB and upgrade the pups, preamp? Pros/cons?

9. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    I've played a TMB300 and was impressed with how much bass you got for the price. Saw the TMB500 that is being released and have already got GAS!

10. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    First, Your SUB will never sound like a Talman and a Talman will never sound like your SUB. Well, unless you reroute the body for the respective pickup swap. Two different beasts. Second, with a pickup and preamp swap in your SUB, you may be half way to the Talman 500/505 (you’re there with a 100/105 or 300). So, why not keep the SUB, buy the Talman and have both?

11. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    I just this week picked a Talman 310, it was between it and a SUB 4, as my backup/alternate bass. My main bass has the CND pickups in it and I don’t feel like my main bass is threatened at all. The 500 series would be a huge improvement for you EXCEPT it can’t get that bridge humbucker growl. If you need that often but only want one bass at a gig, I think maybe search around for a 300 or 310!

Now I always have a P sound(which I use 70% of the time) but can pick between blending in a J bridge pickup or blinding in an H bridge pickup(and can also split this but it’s quite a bit noisier than the CND Single).

I wanted my backup bass to have additional options, namely the bridge humbucker. If that isn’t an important aspect to you, I think it’d be hard to beat the Talman 500 or 600!

stingray69 and richgoidel like this.
  12. RabbiShankar

RabbiShankar Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Valid point. I omitted that the GAS Police (my wife) would be unhappy if I kept both, considering I've also got a Fender JBS fretless and a Breedlove AEB. I'm not playing out at the moment, and not aiming for a particular style. Just looking for an upgraded instrument that will serve me well when I get back out in public. Seems like the Talman would be more versatile. Maybe?

nFinnyD likes this.
  13. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Definitely! The CND pickups sound great, the PJ configurations gives tons of options, and to finish it off you’ve got the active/passive switch which means not only more tonal options but a failsafe at a gig should the battery fail(which hasn’t happened to me)

richgoidel likes this.
  14. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    A63CC3F7-9272-4658-B852-5DE56E37F3C7.jpeg Practice, practice, practice! I love my TMB-100! Along with my Vox Bass Amplug! Play anytime day or night.:laugh::D

15. peteygrizz

peteygrizz

Mar 31, 2011
    Blackwood, NJ
    Damn I didn't know the 310 came in any other color besides green metal flake. That silver flake looks incredible. May have to skip some bills this month and order one up!

nFinnyD likes this.
  16. peteygrizz

peteygrizz

Mar 31, 2011
    Blackwood, NJ
    Have had mine for almost two months now and I am still completely blown away by how good it sounds and how well it plays. I think the neck being fairly more substantial than their SR necks gives these basses a bigger tone and more sustain.

My only minor con I have with this bass is the him on the single coil J pickup in the bridge which is quite noticeable when switching to it from the neck P pup. Certainly nothing unusual, it is just a part of the design of using a single coil pickup. I plan on installing a him cancelling pup soon, but I already know that Ibanez uses a wonky sized J pickup which has the overall width of a Fender Jazz neck, but with the mounting screw spacing of a Fender Jazz bridge. I am hopeful that I may be able to get a short/neck sized J pup and swap the covers to avoid having to do any routing. Only thing is I don't know whether the mounting screws go through the bobbins, in which case this plan won't work and I'll have to do the routing. I am hoping the mounting screws only go through the covers and that the actual pickup is just rectangular.

If I do have to rout the cavity then so be it. Either way a set of SD are going in.

Attached Files:

stingray69 likes this.
  17. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have a 5-string Talman, and found a few J pickups to fit without routing. I opted for a Delano FE. Check the measurements; I’d guess a drop-in 4 replacement is available. Also, I found my J pickup had no shielding, which likely contributed to my Talman’s hum.

peteygrizz and stingray69 like this.
  18. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    My bridge J was replaced with a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz 5. I'm used to a little bit 60-hz single coil hum, as most J single coils tend to do, but the hum coming from the stock J was just too loud for my tastes.

19. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    While I loved the Turquoise Sparkle a lot, all the people with one for sale wanted $500+. Tried to haggle and couldn’t reach a deal. After a few weeks of constantly searching for a few weeks for a 310 OR a 300 for under $300, I found the first Silver Sparkle I had seen available 5 hours after it had been posted. I threw out an offer for under $300, they countered with $309 with tax and shipping and I pulled the trigger!

Good luck with the hunt! I think the 310 in particular may be collectible one day!

20. I joined the club today, @nFinnyD I apologize for posting this ahead of time as reading back I know you have been looking for one for a bit but I have never seen this thread before today. This one was in a small collection of guitars at an estate auction at my local auctioneer. I have only been playing for a few months and wasn't planning on buying anything but this was a literal steal I think. Most people were bidding on the signed guitars and I am guessing no one there was a bass player. It needs adjustments as I am pretty sure you can drive a small truck through the action, and probably new strings (which I read through every page here for some ideas). It seems like everything is working for the few minutes I had it plugged in, but I have never really messed with an active bass and to be honest have no idea what I am doing just yet. It has one flaw, on the bottom of it where the strap screw is someone must have over tightened it and there is a crack in the acrylic, don't think it's going to be an issue but I am keeping an eye on it. I look forward to messing with it.

G4eyBMgl.jpg

stingray69, ERIC31 and nFinnyD like this.