The Official Ibanez TMB Talman Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ERIC31, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Good tips in the post above, another thing I have to do with the stock pickups is set the bass and treble all full cut, then add a tiny bit of treble then turn the bass up to 9 o clock or so. Leave my volume at 50% ish and let the amp do the rest

Peter Weil and James_027 like this.
  2. Agapit

Agapit

Jun 3, 2020
    Krasnodar
    Thank you for your trust and support! My guitar is 2020, fourth generation. I became interested in the geography of the tree from which it was made and I wrote to the experts of the European branch of Ibanez. Here is their answer, maybe someone else is interested, except me. tmb100 04.gif

3. James_027

James_027

Mar 4, 2020
    Thanks, any height recommendation where i can start? I see some pictures of precision pickups not flat, what is it all about?

4. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hey all

Looking for some advice. Just picked up a TMB105, which sounds superb and the action/play on it is great. I like it a lot. The B string is strong, and man, the pre is HOT, though I like it. Considering it was £200, it's a steal.

The thing that is nearly making me return it, though, is the incredible neck dive. I knew it had a slightly short horn and it's a 5er, so, the cheap tuners will add a lot of mass....but man, sitting down, it just will not stay up. I have to anchor it down with my right forearm.

I can see that upgrading to the TMB505 is pointless, because it has the same tuners, and according to the Youtube review I found, it suffers the same problem of neck dive. So I may as well stick with the cheaper model if I'm going to play a Talman.

Can anyone tell me what the stock tuners weigh, and if replacing them with Hipshot Ultralites (either the USA or licensed versions) fixes the issue? If it's not fixable, it is definitely getting returned. I practice most of the time sitting down and this will just be too much hassle.

(I notice the J hums a little, though it's not too bad as long as I'm not near a screen. I also think the bridge is fab and the fretwork seems pretty good too; I've tweaked it to be a very playable instrument. I'll need to file the nut slots though; way too high.)

Thanks all.

James_027 likes this.
  5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    When fretting the string on the last fret: 7/64-8/64 low string side, and 5/64-6/64 high string side.

P pickups are often angled so the pickups match the fretboard radius with the E and A strings are both 7/64-8/64 and The D and G strings 5/64-6/64.

The distance is greater for the low strings because they have greater mass and can be pulled out of tune more easily when vibrating by the pickup magnets. So, ideal pickup height is a balance between the desired tone, volume evenness between strings and minimizing the magnets to pulling strings out of tune.

James_027 likes this.
  6. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    Some people use hipshot ultralites 1/2". They apparently fit a little lose and need to be shimmed with a piece for foil tape. There are a couple post on this thread but they will take a while to find. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chip in

Peter Weil likes this.
  7. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Can’t help with the tuners, but a suede-backed strap solved the neck dive for me.

I found the J cavity in my 105 unshielded, so shielding might help. I replaced the J p’up with a split-coil J (Delano FE) and shielded the cavity at the same time.

I found the stock pre uncontrollably hot. I went with a 3-band Audere.

ERIC31 and Peter Weil like this.
  8. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Nice. If I'm going to stick with the instrument, I'd take it to my tech and get the cavities shielded, the nut filed, frets polished, and replace the tuners. I also stick Dunlop straplocks on every bass I own. I hear you about the pre change; it's the hottest I've heard. Pickup changes look sweet too. However once I start getting into pre or pickup swaps, I may as well have considered either the Talman TMB505 or a Sire P7....it gets expensive.

Still, I'd sink £100-£150 into the bass to make it better - as long as I know the dive can get sorted. I'm glad a strap sorted it for you...I have a wide 4" leather strap that will probably be ok when I'm standing up, but seated practice, the strap doesn't make much odds.

9. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I believe the pre may be the same in the 505 as it is in the 105, but I’m not sure. I went with an Audere pre because they are un-pre sounding pres, if that makes sense.

Yes, I hear you; I have about $550 in upgrades into a $250 bass. And I’ll probably put another $250 into it. It’s a project bass — the mods are my entertainment. Eventually, I’ll change the tuners (Yep, Hipshot Ultralights) and bridge (I’d like to get the string spacing to 17.5mm). Plus the frets need work, and I want to sand and oil finish the neck. But that’s my labor. For now, I’ve other projects in queue.

Peter Weil likes this.
  10. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I agree with you. No doubt 17.5mm spacing is better. I’m just living with it though.

I think you’re right - the EQ curves shown for the 505 and the 105 look the same on the website. Nice catch.

11. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah

My best advice for solve the neck dive for a seated position is to go with the ultralight tuners and a high mass bridge. This should shift the balance to nearly perfect. The only options are remove weight from headstock and add weight to the body. If the high mass bridge isn’t enough, or you don’t want to change it, you could try adding weights into the control cavities or attached to the strap button.

If you wanted better balance standing, it’s much easier. Just a good strap and possibly use a long metal spacer from the hardware store for the neck side strap button.(basically just a hollow tube like a straw that move the attachment point toward the 12th fret)

Peter Weil likes this.
  12. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks @nfnnyd

Good suggestions.

If it takes too much work, it stops being a ‘steal’ for its price and just starts being more trouble than it’s worth.

We’ll see. I’ll experiment with removing a tuner/weighing tuners etc and see whether Ultralites on their own will fix it or not.

13. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Totally get that, somewhere in this thread I think someone in this thread weighed the stock set vs the ultralights(4string versions), I think it was around .8lbs difference. If I find exact numbers I’ll let you know

Peter Weil likes this.
  14. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    @nFinnyD

If you want different string spacing, I would try the Hipshot A style. I have at least one TMB310 that may get one on account of intonation, and that B10 bridge has its limits for that. I have a TMB 300 that may get it, but we will see. Another TMB 300 has the Fender type bridge, so no intonation issues there.

Stevorebob likes this.
  15. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    @nFinnyD

I found the post where @stingray69 swapped in the Ultralites and saved about 1/2 lb of weight. That's enough to make me consider it, I think....

stingray69 and Stevorebob like this.
  16. Agapit

Agapit

Jun 3, 2020
    Krasnodar
    The weight of a standard tuner (2MH1PC0004) is exactly 83 grams without bushings. The inner landing diameter in the head of the neck in the tree is 18 mm, the inner diameter of the sleeve (and accordingly the outer diameter of the tuner) is 14 mm.

Peter Weil likes this.
  17. Agapit

Agapit

Jun 3, 2020
    Krasnodar
    P.S Now I began to collect everything back - in fact, the standard tuner is also slightly smaller than the sleeve, it loosens in it and hangs freely. I don’t have a micrometer, and the eye is no longer as true as that of Apache, but the diameter difference is about 0.5mm. Schaller BM Light are not suitable without winding the tape (a difference of about 1mm) or reducing the diameter of standard bushings. Schaller weighs 40 grams without its aluminum bushings, which weigh almost nothing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Peter Weil likes this.
  18. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I did some experimenting.

My Ibanez Talman tuners weigh 84g each without bushings (I removed 3 in the end to check). I'm guessing there will be some variability in weight due to their cheapness/manufacture. I didn't knock out the bushings to check their weight, but I'm conservatively guessing each would be 5-6g or so. So roughly speaking, there's about 450g (just under 1lb) of tuners + bushings at the headstock end.

In testing, if I removed 3 tuners (252g), the bass would balance when seated. With 2 removed (168g), it doesn't. So worst case scenario, my particular bass needs to shed 252g of weight from the headstock. It might be perhaps be a little less, but that's the worst case.

If I replace the stock tuners and bushings with the lightest tuners I can find (40g each), I can reduce headstock tuner weight down to 200g total, shedding about 250g of weight. So it looks like tuner replacement should work. It will cost a bit more than half the value of the instrument for Gotoh GB350s or Ultralites.

To be fair, for comparison, the Sire P7 5er I tried out had a bit of neck dive when seated, and would have needed the same tuner replacement to balance properly. I'm about to find out if a Sire V7 is similar. Those cost more in the £500-£600 range depending on finish.

Decisions, decisions.

Agapit and nFinnyD like this.
  19. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I changed mine to ultralites and it did make a difference . When I took off the original tuners I put them in a plastic bag . Pretty heavy . Mine are the USA tuners . I used the stock metal inserts and the Hipshots fit very well , I didn't have to shim anything . S7300870.JPG S7300871.JPG

gscroggin, ERIC31, EmuBass and 3 others like this.
  20. Agapit

Agapit

Jun 3, 2020
    Krasnodar
    schaller bm light.jpg Aluminum Schaller in carbon body. I am leaving for the sea coast, but after returning I will set them up. I weighed the Schaller sleeve and got 5 grams. The standard sleeve is not aluminum, it is thicker and sharpened immediately with something like a massive washer on top. I also did not knock it out, but I can assume that it weighs about 15 grams. Is this definitely not a mountain bike forum?)) втулка schaller.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Peter Weil likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021