1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Japanese Squier Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kenjikun, Sep 18, 2008.

1. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    I know there is Squier club here but I guess, MIJ Squier is very special due to the following reasons:

1. MIJ Squier basses were probably the highest quality Squier ever produced.
    2. The very first MIJ Fender were the Squier series.
    3. MIJ Squier are no longer being manufactured.

So owners of MIJ Squier basses, we have a piece of history in our hands, SHOW them here. Photos are valuable source of informations for those wanting to buy these classic Squier basses.

Only MIJ Squier are allowed:p from the 1982 JV series up to the early '90s Silver series.

Here is my stock 1993 Silver series P-Bass, the last of the MIJ Squier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AlexanderB likes this.
  2. BrickIsRed

BrickIsRed

Sep 16, 2008
    I also think that MIJ Squier P-bass is better looking than the majority of other P-basses. Something about the subtle difference in shape.

AlexanderB likes this.
  3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I've got a JV '62 style P bass in beat fiesta red. It was modded with a J pickup in the back before i bought it. I really like it, good weight, responsive. I also used to own a JV '57 style P but the neck was a full C width and was just too much for me... My new fiesta red one is just a bit narrower at the nut which is good for me! pics to come...

AlexanderB likes this.
  4. Albibass

Albibass

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Just tried out a Japanese jazz bass in the shop.
    Serial started with a K so it must be from '90-'91.
    Man, was I blown away:eek:
    Superfast, slim but very strong neck.
    Very nice looking rosewood fretboard with perfect frets.
    It was also a lot thinner than any Fender I have ever seen.(the fretboard)
    Slightly yellowed lacquer with a tortoise pickguard.
    And at the stupid low price of 250 euros.
    That's less you pay then for a VM Squier.

5. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Here's my E Series

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

E Series are listed in 84-87.

Plays great! Best bass I have.

6. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    [​IMG]

'92 MIJ Squier Silver series pbass
    This was a birthday present new, from my wife... It's more like a light version pbass and plays very nicely. Great tone and feel. Came with a horrible single ply black scratchplate so I torted it... otherwise untouched mod wise. My son has it now...grrr.

7. Here's mine...early SQ series...Not to long ago these things were going for about $125 to $150.That Squire logo chased a lot of people away..players couldn't get enough of them.

I love mine.It was signed by a famous movie Bass player.

PA280015.

PA280018.

Can you guess who signed it?..Here's a hint..he played Bass in the the house band.

The movie is "Animal House"..no googling ..

PA280017.

After a show,he was kind enough to hang out and talk with me and the Wife.He cracked up when I told him I wished that he would get back with his old band "Otis Day and the Knights"

Nice Guy.....to take the time...

Cheers.

8. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Wow...special club. I used to own a 1987 Squire MIJ Jazz. That bass was amazing but I had to sell it to survive. I was living in Nashville and my Yamaha TRB-6P and Zon Sonus 4 were getting more work than the Squire. The Squire was for living shows...and it killed!

9. bump

10. Boy this didn't go far. Maybe now that Fender Japan is gone, RIP, there might be some more interest in pushing this club along. I don't actually own a Squier bass but just got a Squier Bound and Blocked Maple Jazz neck for my RW P bass that's real nice. I would especially love to see some of the more unusual Squier basses from the early days of the brand. How about a Katana, what else is there? Educate me please.

So what cha' got? .....show me who you dance with!

11. Bump for more input on the HM basses "I think " that's what it is. Anyway I have a line on a Squier 5 string That has the P/J configuration. I'm not sure if they are considered a HM or not. Also can anyone tell me if they are made in Japan or a later/ different co. Of origin? It has the pointy headstock, 80s I presume and active. I've never seen one in person only the 3/SC version which I checked out but never played. I hear they are lightweight with a thin neck. Any information would greatly appreciated.

12. jp8848

jp8848

Mar 15, 2012
    Hendersonville, NC
    Just bought this 1984 Squier Precision (SQ serial number)

Attached Files:

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I just bought this online. 87 MIJ Squier jazz.
    111430016_l.

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Anyone know about neck swappability of these? If it's a keeper, I'd like to get a Fender maple board P neck for it.

15. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Hey! Good thread here is my 84 E series 32" medium scale:

sq 101.

canuckshort and jp8848 like this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It came with a busted pot. The "tech" at gc fixed it. Beastly, beastly bass. Aggressive and intense. Hard to tame really. I don't know how I'm gonna be able to play vintagey kinda stuff where I'd normally solo the neck pup with the tone down. Even like that it still growls, but I dig it.
    image.

17. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I won't pass up a chance to post my '84.
    P1190174.JPG

18. All original put stripped and wooburned '84 SQ, didnt do the "art" to it but its pretty neat looking. I need to do something about the guard though. I think may just put a full guard on and cover up the pyramids or get a chrome control plate like a stingray kinda.

AlexanderB likes this.
  19. AnalogKid4003

AnalogKid4003

Jul 8, 2012
    My 84 Axxxxx squier jazz has a slightly wider neck heel and pocket than my 90's MIJ Jazzs.
    I was suprised.

20. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    I figure this is a good place to ask....

1. How do you date a MIJ squier? there is a nice all black one available local, but no serial number on the headstock. Would it be in the body? It is an all black P bass with rosewood board.

2. What is a good price? The neck is nice, just needs to be set up. Feels like a D shape. The frets are completely trashed though. Some of them are so worn they have dents.....the body is "reliced" for sure too. Hardware has that faded with a hint of green cloudiness look to it.

3. The pickup seemed to have a low output too....not sure if it is due to magnets being pretty rusted or what.