1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The official Lovetone Meatball discussion thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by willsellout, Aug 23, 2007.

1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I received mine a few days ago and haven't been able to stop tinkering with it. I know quite a few people have said it's too "twiddly" for their needs but I have found it extremely easy to dial in..once you know what the knobs do of course. Thanks to Markjazzbassist I had the basic blueprint and I have just built upon it to come up with some incredible funkny sounds. I absolutely love this pedal and it was worth every penny I paid. I want to discuss what I have found out about this pedal with other meatball owners.

So from MJB I basically got the idea that the Sensitivity, Colour, Intensity, and blend knobs were all dimed all the time. This was an excellent place to start as it gives you a very nice funky sound. Here is what I've found some of the knobs to do:
    Sensitivity-Adjusts how hard you have to play to open the envelope
    Attack-Really can't explain this one, but it is very interactive with the Decay knob
    Decay-Adjusts the time the envelope is open
    Colour-Basically how coloured the sound is..pretty simple
    Instensity-From my twiddling I've come to the conclusion that this knob as you turn it up, increases the higher frequencies in the envelope. When turned down it does a very good impression of the Moog low pass.
    Blend- Clean to colored ratio.

I have found the three knobs you need to twiddle with are the Attack, Decay, and Intensity knobs. Pretty simple really.

You have the up and down mode as well, the only thing to remember with the down mode is the decay needs to be fairly high to get a really nice funky mutron setting.

Then you have the filter modes: Low, Med low, med high, high. I haven't used anything but low and med low as I find they sound the best for what I want..although the high settings can give a nice AW sound.

You also have the off/full/half switch which I really haven't figured out as well as the bottom right knob. Can anyone explain what these do really? I know the bottom right knob gets some really whacked out sounds but I can't articulate what it does.

To put it simply..you basically have three knobs to twiddle and with an understanding of what they do, you can easily achieve the sound you want. I'm not sure where the "difficult" part of this pedal comes into play but I've found it a pure joy to delve into. So what do you other MB owners have to say?

Dan

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Here's the settings I gave willsellout

All settings have the trigger on Full and the filter at Low-Pass. The settings for the filter are Hi, Mid-Hi, Mid-Low, and Low (just to differentiate them).

Nice Autowah - Really liquidy and almost Bootsy-esque. I use this setting the most. If you're getting crazy peaks and it's making a lot of noise, try turning down the sensitivity first, and then the colour.

Sensitivity - Max
    Attack - Min
    Decay - 10 o'clock
    colour - max
    intensity - max
    blend - max
    trigger - UP
    Filter - Mid-Hi

Mu-Tron Sound - You gotta adjust the Decay to taste on this one. It cops a pretty good Mu-Tron sound here though. Dynamics and how hard you hit and how you pluck the strings will really affect how this sounds.

Sensitivity - Max
    Attack - Min
    Decay - 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock
    colour - max
    intensity - max
    blend - max
    trigger - DOWN
    filter - Mid-Hi

Nick Fyffe of Jamiroquai Tone - This is the setting he used on Jamiroquai's - A Funk Odyyssey (songs Little L and Main Vein) since he used a Meatball. It's kinda like a submarine funk sound.

Sensitivity - Max
    Attack - Min
    Decay - 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock
    colour - max
    intensity - 12 o'clcok
    blend - * (there should be a * marking at about 1-2 o'clock, put the knob there)
    trigger - DOWN
    filter - Mid-Hi

Dubby Space Deep Filters - These are like the manual setting for the DOWN filter. Except a little deeper and spacyier.

Sensitivity - Max
    Attack - Min
    Decay - 9 o'clock to Max (the more the longer it will take to close the filter)
    colour - Max (you might need to ease this back if you get a lot of intense peaks, bass or feedback)
    intensity - max
    blend - max
    trigger - DOWN
    filter - Mid-Low

**One thing to remember. The sense and colour knobs are usually always maxed (unless you want a more suttle effect). If you are getting crazy sub-bass or intense peaks, first work back (no less than 12 o'clock) on sense and then do colour (no less than 2 o'clock).

3. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Your Welcome. I posted them again for others.

Really? Interesting. I've found that Mid-Hi works best for me and Mid-Low is nice for the spacey dubby filter, but Low KILLS my speakers and Mid-Low can too. Plus sometimes I just find it to bassy. All IMHO.

Off means the Filter is not engaged, it's still gonna color your sound a little. Half means that the filter is Half-engaged, this is PERFECT for Slapping. Cause the high input of the slaps and pops dont make the filter go wild. Full is a full on filter. I keep it on Full all the time (but im not a slapper).

The other symbols are the Band-Pass Filters. From Left to right, Hi-Band Pass, Mid-Band Pass, Low-Band Pass. Keep it on Low Band-Pass, all the way to the right, that works best with Bass. You can try the others, but I find they literally suck the Low frequencies out.

Honestly the daunting task is just learning it. It took me 3 reads through the manual and a couple months of playing with it daily for about an hour to get where I'm at now. You're lucky you've grasped it this fast, it looks really confusing with all those knobs and switches.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If the money tree hadn't died so long ago I might have bought one. It's really the only other boutique filter that interests me other than my EP1. The Mutrons, Moogs, etc all have critical flaws that make me shy away from them.

5. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks for clearing that up. I wouldn't have grasped it quickly at all without the layout you gave, so thanks!

Dan

6. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    no prob man. im sure now that you know what all the knobs do it will be a lot easier too. if possible you should try to get a manual, it's really in depth and helps explain everything. maybe one of these days i'll scan one in and post it up on here.

7. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I got one from DiscoFreq's website.

Dan

8. zoloo

zoloo

Jun 7, 2005
    France
    Can you explain a little more ?

9. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think Moog's tend to pick up radio stations and mutrons and Q trons have crazy spikes..but I'm not completely sure.

Dan

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    This isn't related to you, but since I've become a mod I will without fail click the edit post option everytime I try to quote someone.

Back to the topic, between what I've read about volume spikes for both, hard-wired power for the original Mutron, bad bypass for both, etc; there isn't much I can see as a positive. The sound would have to really excite me to have to create stop-gaps for all the flaws those pedals have.

11. hi guys,

for those of u meatball owners who happen to own (or have try) the EP-1 what do you think about the 2 ?

i happen to own both and somehow despite of its versatility i think the EP-1 have a slightly more warmth to it... but i guess this still can't beat the versatility of the 'Ball...

and 1 more thing... somehow i haven't found a setup that sound good and usable (at least to my liking) when the Attack knob is not on minimum...

cheerz

12. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Try messing with the intensity knob as well as the decay knob. It's generally not a good idea to set the decay lower than the attack, but when you have them about even I think it sounds pretty good. But it may be that that is just the sound you were looking for!

Dan

13. thx Dan,

yeah i understand the relationship between attack, decay, and intens. perfectly fine, maybe it's just my taste then. or maybe someone can provide an example of a setting that they think sound great without the attack knob turned minimum ?

cheerz

14. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah it may just be what you like, but I'll try and find something.

Dan

15. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i keep my Attack knob at either minimum or slighty more than minimum. i haven't messed with attack enough, but i haven't found many uses for it past that either.

if you set it too high the effect won't trigger, so i think it's supposed to be low.

16. thx mark

yeah i understand that we shouldn't probably put the attack knob in higher position, but i, just wondering u know... what's the purpose of it if we're only gonna put it in minimum or maybe slightly raised

cheerz

17. XmattX

XmattX

Nov 25, 2005
    Photographer, Warwick GmbH & Co Music Equipment KG
    In 'down' mode with the frequency selector on the lowest band I often use the attack knob to take off the first 'low-frequency bomb', so my speakers don't go bye bye.

18. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

Aug 23, 2007
    Since you have the meatball, can you send some recordings
    with diff parameters? (auto wah- filter etc..)