"The Official Marleaux Bass Club"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattyBass, Jan 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    OMGOSH! I am very jealous. I've played the Contras at NAMM shows a bunch of times and been blown away by them. I currently own an Mbass, which I'm VERY happy with, but I still someday would love to own a Contra 5. I don't think he makes a ton of these, and I have played a 6 at NAMM, so there's a slight possibility I've played this one. Regardless, ALL of the Contras I've played (4, 5, 6, Fretless) have made me want one really bad. Just couldn't quite afford it.

PS: You sir, have some VERY fine basses!! I do have a 635, but 6's are still kinda' hard for me, so it's not currently my main bass.

2. Thank you very much for the kind compliment! I feel very lucky to be able to own and play the basses I do.

Through my use of google-fu and internet skills when the Contra was in transit, I found that this was a 2016 NAMM piece, so it’s very possible you played this if you were there :)

I also found a German write up and picture gallery of the exact bass also at:
    https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/marleaux-contra-6-test.html
    They seemed to like it as well ha!

I love my MTD 6ers, they’ve been my number 1’s (tied for first place) for years. I have that green 635 pictured, plus a US Gouche 6 sig as well. Mike’s the best!

3. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I was very definitely there, and yes, there's actually an excellent chance myself, and others from the Bass Gear Magazine team played and loved that bass. Gerald is also a good friend of ours. I also agree with that review.

Not to get OT, but yes, Mike is a good personal friend of mine, which I'm very proud to say, and AG is also super cool, though I don't know him as well (and yes, that model is also amazing).

geggy spoiger likes this.
  4. You’ve got the greatest job

5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    LOL! well, i wish it was my actual job, but it's not my main occupation. my work for BGM is mostly out of love for the work, and my strong friendships with the team. I SORELY miss them with no in-person NAMM this year. My main job is cybersecurity. That pays for my basses. :)

BluesyCat and tombowlus like this.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep, several of us most definitely played that bass. Simply wonderful! True, all of Gerald's basses are elite world-class works of art, but his Contra's are really something special. :thumbsup:

7. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Amazing score! Good one! I'd love to try a Contra sometime.

8. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    I should probably mention I recently got my custom Votan 5 - all stealth! I wanted a 5-string bass for evil and brutal work and boy does this think tick all the boxes. Satin black finish, black hardware, ebony fretboard with no inlays, stained black neck. Sounds immense, huge angry sound, looks mean as hell and is comfy to play. Very big P-bass style neck. Absolute joy and compliments my Consat 6 perfectly!

Attached Files:

ET42, geggy spoiger and Flabzilla like this.
  9. Cheers! :)
    That’s *clean* Great specs you chose, hope you love it. Congrats!

NeonVomit likes this.
  10. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Yeah only had a couple of rehearsals and recording sessions with it for... uh... obvious reasons, but can't wait to take it out on the road! I wanted something really understated (my Consat is flash af) so this fits the bill. Sounds (and looks!) perfect for death/black metal!

geggy spoiger likes this.
  11. jjmf

jjmf Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Edmonton AB Canada
    What are your thoughts on the best strings for a Marleaux fretless Diva?
    goals: excellent articulation & maximum mwah

12. I put a set of TI flats on mine a while back, sound and feel great. A little bit more mwah and low end than the standard Marleaux strings.

jjmf likes this.
  13. nick333

nick333

Nov 3, 2012
    There is a used Contra 5 at Luthiers Access Group now 6/22/21

Vic likes this.
  14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Still don't have the money for it. lol

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    BluesyCat, cosmicevan and Vic like this.
  16. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
  17. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
  18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Me thinks the most liked videos are probably not going to have any bass playing in it.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021