"The Official Marleaux Bass Club"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattyBass, Jan 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Looks great!

2. milklounge

milklounge

Apr 17, 2007
    And plays even better! ;-)

3. I might join the club in a few months. All I know is that I want a Consat 5 string, but I'm still hesitating on the options/finish...

4. After making a post (#19) in this thread a year or so ago, I have quietly been hankering after a Marleaux bass (whilst telling myself that my GAS was over and that I didn't need anything esle :ninja:).

It wasn't just the look of them that appealed, it was also the tone (which I'd heard on several You Tube clips) and the knowledge that they are built not too far from where I live (making them ideal 'souvenir' material for when I eventually move away from Germany ;)).

I was equally fascinated by the Betra and Consat models, wanting only a modest four string, as my playing is pretty 'conventional'. Either a block colour (like azti's white Consat :)), or a simple wood with black hardware finish, would have been my preference. I was especially taken with the Betra (headless) on their website ...

Link ...

... so you can imagine my delight when it appeared on ebay and the seller (who lives nearby) offered to deliver it for me, free of charge :eek:. Of course ... I had to pay him for the bass :p.

So here she is - my new toy ...

DSC_9451_1000.jpg

DSC_9453_1000.jpg

DSC_9466_02_1000.jpg

At only 7.5lbs :smug:, I can wear her until my fingers (and not by shoulder) get tired of playing :bassist:.

I'm still learning about the tones and finding new surprises every day, as the bass can put out a lot of different sounds (although it never quite loses that bell-like treble, which is possibly something of a Marleaux trademark!?).

My first, but maybe not my last ;), from the hands of Gerald Marleaux.

Thanks for looking. A number would be most welcome :).

BassmanM likes this.
  5. metallutca

metallutca

Dec 18, 2004
    Malaysia
    Wow that is one awesome bass! Congratulations!

6. Thank you :)!

Looking at the photographs above, I can't really believe that it is mine - most of my other basses are 'ugly' :atoz:.

7. Ok, I won't be too original on this one, but I've finally made my choice regarding my future Marleaux bass, and it's gonna be the same as yours... But in 5 string ! I love white basses. Yours has a Swietenia body, mine will be Dibetou.

8. I placed the order for it, BTW... CAN'T WAIT.

9. Great choice, Ian :hyper:! I too fancy a gloss white Consat (one day) ;).

Can't wait to see the pics. This thread needs a few more active members :D.

10. It should be ready in October/November. It's LONG already.

11. Remember; good things come to those who wait ;).

12. Indeed.

13. ms1369

ms1369

Feb 16, 2008
    chicago burbs
    New Mbass I got from LAG. I've done alot of deals with Dan before and can't say enough good stuff about him! This bass is just superb, I wasn't a big fan of duals before, but man do they work well in this thing.

Attached Files:

14. milklounge

milklounge

Apr 17, 2007
    Nice Bass! Seen it before on their side, really nice Top!

15. [​IMG]

Here's a teaser that Gerald Marleaux sent me... My bass should be ready in a few weeks !

16. Ben Coffin

Ben Coffin

Dec 8, 2009
    Auburn, AL
    I may have missed it in the post, but what's the top on that bass? My German is a little rusty, and by that I mean nonexistent. That is, I must say, the most beautiful bass on TalkBass. I'm inspired by it every time I see it.

17. I would kill for a Marleaux. I want one more than any other bass I GAS for.

18. Hi Ben,

Sorry for the (very :() late reply, but just in case you are still interested ...

The top wood is German birch. It was sourced locally (to Gerald Marleaux's workshop), up in the Harz mountains in northern Germany, about an hour from where I live :).

I'm flattered that you like the bass so much, although of course I am only the owner and so can't take any credit for its stunning looks ;).

For better or for worse, this bass seems to have completely killed my GAS for other 'boutique' basses, as it strikes a nice balance between form, function, looks and tone, without (IMO) looking excessively 'showy'. In more subdued lighting, it actually looks quite modest with its black hardware, plain fretboard and brown wood body - I rather like that :smug:.

19. eubassix

eubassix

Jan 17, 2004
    Teesside, UK
    Here's a very special pair (fretted + fretless) of 'matched' Consat Signature 4's, built to my specifications (black hardware, satin finish, lined FL with side-dot markers on lines etc.). I'm now playing 5's (including a Consat and an M bass) so these will soon become available as a pair, or individually (although I'd like to see them stay together, if possible). Build quality, playabilty, tone are - as always - superb, and I was particularly pleased with the aesthetic similarity of the burl-poplar tops and matching headstocks :-

Attached Files:

20. eubassix

eubassix

Jan 17, 2004
    Teesside, UK
    more photos (and apologies for typo' in my first listing/title - sorry, seemingly unable to edit the title ?!)

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021