1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Medium Scale Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EduardoK, Feb 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. maxximusic

maxximusic Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I just got an Ibanez BTB33 about 2 weeks ago, can't say enough about the playability, definitely the easiest bass I've ever played.
    I strung it BEADG, had to do a minor adjustment to the nut to fit the strings and believe it or not release the neck a little, the action is very low with no buzz anywhere.
    I'm not at all happy with the tone, it sounds a little lifeless to me, I use Elixir's on all my basses and they have lots of tone and life, I'm not sure if the issue is just the pickups and pre or the natural sound characteristics of this bass and the fact that the strings are looser than a 34 or a 35, I keep going back and forth with the idea of returning it but the playability has me by the balls...
    Have anyone changed either the pre or the pickups? What's the outcome tone wise?
    Thanks

2. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Excellent! My first club membership! I'll have to post a pic of my VM Squier Telebass. I'm going to rewire it with a standard vintage wiring harness V/T, and I've got a nice Seymour Duncan Antiquity ll single coil Precision bass pickup and a set of medium scale Labella 760FS Flats ready to go for it. It's going to be a sweet thumper for sure...:thumbsup:

reddog and RoadRanger like this.
  3. Here is my submission for membership: my Warmoth P-Bass 32" scale which I bought here on TB. I had been playing a Hofner Contemporary short scale bass but was looking for a P-bass sound without feeling like I was reaching halfway across the stage. I first bought a Squier which had a conversion neck to make it medium scale but the body was standard size which I realized was going to be a little bigger than I wanted.

So I came across this one. It's Warmoth's short scale P-style body with a medium neck. Satin dark green finish, mint pickguard, and ebony fingerboard. It's overall length is 43.25", 18.5" from the upper horn to the bottom (not counting strap connectors), and 12" across the lower bout. Weighs in at ~6 lb. I'm still learning how to play so I'm no equipment expert but I think it sounds great and I love playing it.

rllefebv likes this.
  4. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I'd like a number as well, good sir. The Official Medium Scale Bass Club

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Welcome "OCDave" ! You are Official Medium Scale Club member number 134 :) .

OCDave and Pbassmanca like this.
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Welcome "Jon Clegg" ! You are Official Medium Scale Club member number 135 :) .

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    See Reverb for Fender Jazz PJ -- shipped from Japan -- price reduced.

japan-e-series-pjm65-jazz-bass-special-1984-7

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    OCDave likes this.
  8. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    is there such a thing as med scale 5 bangers and what strings would work for that ?

Pbassmanca and BeeTL like this.
  9. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Yes, I have one. It depends on what the string winding length is on the bass, as I haven't found any 5 string sets directly marketed for 32".

For me, it comes down to 2 choices - Elixirs, or GHS Boomers in long scale.

fretno likes this.
  10. Thanks for the heads-up!

11. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Actually guys, LaBella make pretty much every string in short, medium and long scales.
    They're pricey over here in the UK, but pretty good value if you're in the US, as they're a high quality string!

I play 31.5" scale basses, currently only 6 strings, and LaBella's medium scale strings fitted just right, and would do on a 32" bass too, they had great tension and sounded lovely, including the low B. I can get strings custom made here in the UK cheaper, but it's a great back up for me, and for you guys in the US, just go buy LaBellas!

Eude

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Thanks, I forgot about Labella's, which I did look at, but wouldn't work for me. The winding length of their medium scale strings is 34", which is too short for my bass, and their long scale is 37", which is too long.

My point is, find your winding length before you put your money down.

13. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Ah, fair enough mate.
    As I mentioned, I use custom made strings here in the UK, from Newtone ( Newtone Strings – British Handmade Strings est.1985 ).
    They're actually the best strings I've ever used, and I've been playing a while.
    I have some regular nickels on a 33" 5 string bass I have, so I know it's not just their custom length ones that are amazing.
    They wind me a 6 string set, 125tw, 100, 80, 60, 40, 28 geared towards matching the tension of a regular 105 set on a 34" bass but on my 31.5", and it's not far off at all!
    If you like DR Sunbeams and LoRiders, you'll love their nickels!
    Not sure what it would cost to have some made and shipped to the US, but I think it might be worth a shot.

Cheers,
    Eude

BeeTL, bonz - darrell and reddog like this.
  14. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    I went and checked out the sound samples for the Newtone bass strings. I like. The round cores are super nice sounding to my ear.
    I'm thinking I'm going to be in contact to find out about shipping and availability...

steelbed45 likes this.
  15. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    If it works out good for the money you really won't be disappointed.
    Neil, who runs the company is a really good guy too :)

Eude

16. If you play left-handed and are looking for a 32" Fender Precision, check Reverb. I'm not associated with it...in fact, if it were a righty I would buy it.

17. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
  18. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    So here's a thought for discussion. I love me my 32" scale basses -- all but two of my basses are 32" scale.

I also really love me my brand new Dingwall Combustion NG2. This is a fanned fret beasty that just kills it tonally.

Anyhow tonality and stunning good looks aside, the ergonomics just aren't what I'm used to. Not only is it considered 'standard scale', but because of the fanned frets, the E string scale is actually 36.25", ranging down to the G string which is 34". The reach to fret one is (not surprisingly) actually longer than my 34" scale basses. I'm gonna whine, but my left shoulder hurts after a while when playing it.

Since I make instruments as a sideline/hobby, I'm going to build a fanned fret bass. Why not, right????

Anyhow, following the models of how fanned frets are laid out, I'm thinking that a "medium scale" fanned fret should wind up with a 32" G string.

Make sense? I'm just in the preliminary planning phases on this idea, so any input from those of you playing fanned fret basses would be appreciated...

Pbassmanca, BassmanM and Aaron Mc like this.
  19. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Sounds amazing

Did you consider 32 E down to 30 g?

20. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    Everything is on the table right now. I've actually ordered three different attachments for my fret slotting jig (one for guitar, one for regular scale bass (34 - 37) and one for medium scale bass.

The medium I chose is 32 - 35. The maker suggested trying this scale first. The nice thing is that I can just keep adding new attachments for different scales. It's a few weeks away before I'll have these in my hands.
    I expect that I'll regret the 32 - 35 and wish for a shorter length, but since I have absolutely no experience in this, I have to defer to the judgement of the jig maker.

My objective is to create a fanned fret bass with the ergonomics of a medium scale. But with a 35" scale on the E string, I fear it'll feel more like a long scale, to play.

Once I have estimated delivery dates, I'm going to make sure I have a body and a neck roughed out so that I can put together a test pretty quickly once the jigs arrive.

Pbassmanca and steelbed45 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021