1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Medium Scale Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EduardoK, Feb 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Have you tried Sheldon's "medium scale" Super Series offerings? Five string basses are 35 to 32 inch (B to G) and the four strings are 34.25 to 32 inch (E to G).

After trying / buying many mono-scale basses (4/5/6 strings, 30 to 35 inch scale), as well as the longer scale DW offerings, I have found the Dingwall Super 5 neck to be near ergonomic perfection for me -- resulting in less stress/strain on my bad wrists & elbows. Build quality, sound, and styling are just icing on the cake.

I think you are the right track with a 32" G string.

bonz - darrell likes this.
  2. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada

I didn't know that Dingwall had a mid scale fanned fret. Good to know.

I think what Sheldon is doing out in Saskatchewan is just phenomenal. My new NG2 consists of Canadian parts assembled in China, shipped back, inspected and setup in Sask, then shipped to dealers. I've never played a brand new instrument with fretwork and setup this good. I'm mean it's perfect. I can only imagine what his Canadian made products are like. If it wasn't 3 provinces over, I would be on a road trip to go see his shop...

The jig I'm gettingwill support up to 5 string basses, so if I can squeeze it in there, I can create a 5 string 32 - 35" scale bass. That means that extrapolated out, a 4 string should be a little shorter...

I'm getting pretty excited about this new direction.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Ha ha ha, driving "3 provinces over", is like driving across Europe...:D

canuckshort and bonz - darrell like this.
  4. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    From my house, not including the ferry I need to take to get off Vancouver Island it's an 18 hour drive. I could be back for work on Tuesday If I left now. lol.

Ontario is huge, it's probably just as long for you to drive...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Bahahaha, I just Google mapped the location of Dingwall guitars in Saskatchewan. From my driveway in Ontario, it's a 2,880 kilometre, 30 hour drive! I think I'll just go see one at Long & McQuade Markham...:roflmao:

6. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    Consider that, if you use the 32 - 35 jig and move the nut to the first fret, you will end up with something like 33 - 30.

Also, you could easily do the math and manually add the missing fret slot at the bridge end of the fretboard.

How many frets does the jig accommodate?

7. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    I never thought of just moving down a fret. Thanks!
    If I do that, I guess my vertical fret will move from 7 to 6. Its definitely something to consider.
    I think the jig will support 24 frets. That's how the other ones I have from this vendor are set up.
    I should have it in two or three weeks (its coming from the UK) -- I'll post and update once its in my hands.

The other unknown is how much my headstock shape will need to change to accommodate the angled nut. My head stock is pretty compact.

BeeTL likes this.
  8. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Just another conversion neck, right?

;)

9. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    Lol. Nope. Not going to be stepping on your toes on that one! I love me my Lowes conversion necks. I play both those basses on a regular basis.

BeeTL likes this.
  10. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    I can assure you, there will never be a Lowe fanned-fret conversion neck...have at it!

:D

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  11. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    Fair enough.

But my Grandma always said "never say never"...:thumbsup:

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. Just a head's up. I stumbled upon this on Ebay. I have this exact model except mine was "order made" and has a black trans finish over ash. It's a pretty unique bass known as the "Jazz Bass Special" in medium scale. I have nothing in it, but it could turn into a real bargain for someone if folks don't bid it up. The electronics are active and it looks pretty clean to me - from 1988-89. As usual with the better Japanese dealers, tons of photos and $99 bucks for shipping. Bids starting at $299:

Fender Japan Jazz Bass "Special" 1988-1989 Vintage ! 32 inch Medium scale | eBay

img59def3f05379f_l-jpg.jpg

13. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Planting a seed - -

As "medium scalers", we continually search for interesting options.
    The WISHBASS is certainly one of the more interesting options out there.
    For $250 I recently bought a medium scale, 4-string version of the "LOBE" bass (on the left) from eBay.

It is a lot of fun.
    The quality is decent, with plenty of its own character.
    Normally I prefer a jazz neck, but the LOBE's thicker neck is just naturally comfortable.

My hope now is to get a medium scale version of the 5-string beast on the right.

Making the proposal - -

Mr. Wishnevsky seems to focus on full-scale 34" versions. It is a larger market, and that
    may figure into his decision.

I'd like to contact him and propose a "group buy" . . may 3 or 4 of us.
    Knowing he had them pre-sold might change his focus towards medium scale basses.

What do you think?
    I'd pay $325 for the bass on the left... $375 for the 5-stringer on the right.
    Who's in?

-----------
    Wishbass Club 2.0....Out of the Ashes

FretlessFatty said:
    Oh my gosh, yes! .... I cannot explain why I find the big Wishbass neck to be comfortable... I have relatively small hands and often prefer a j-bass neck or a "fast neck". But somehow, the Wishbass neck feels good. It is hard to understand!

1942-and-1235-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    I finally have a medium scale bass of my very own.

It's been a long time.

This Primaluxe was built using the last Mighty Mite body I had on hand, and it uses one of my 32" scale conversion necks.

May I please have a number?

:D

View attachment 2783382

15. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Welcome "BeeTL" ! You are Official Medium Scale Club member number 136 :) .

BeeTL and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    It is an honor and a privilege.

;)

17. bonz - darrell

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    Here's a medium scale build I started on the other day (glue up). I got some cutting and routing done today. Lots'o wood work left to do.

It's kind of a 'surf' body style. It works great for guitars (I've built a couple), now we'll see how it fares as a bass shape. The body is reasonably heavy, so we'll see how it balances since the 12th fret is a long way from the strap pin (which is usually the magic ingredient to avoiding neck dive).

Specs:
    One piece poplar body routed for jazz pickups
    Walnut/maple/walnut neck with sycamore fretboard. 3+1 headstock.

The grain in the sycamore looks like lacewood. It doesn't show in the pictures, but I think it's going to be pretty cool looking...

With neck sitting in place, fretboard off.
    2017-10-19 22.29.10 (Large).jpg

With sycamore fretboard sitting in place (not glued or trimmed to size yet) :
    2017-10-19 22.28.40 (Large).jpg

And the back:
    2017-10-19 22.29.47 (Large).jpg

... and with cover blank in place:
    2017-10-19 22.30.06-2 (Large).jpg

All together now:
    2017-10-19 22.31.12 (Large).jpg

BeeTL, MarkoYYZ, canuckshort and 3 others like this.
  18. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Nice! Are you doing a build thread over in the LC? (if not, why not? :D)

19. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Almost done. A Kinal 32” 6 string fretless.

43A3C315-73D3-47C6-BD49-CEDFDBAF5DE0.jpeg

BeeTL, steelbed45, Aaron Mc and 3 others like this.
  20. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Very nice! I've always liked Kinal basses, but have never had the opportunity to play one. Are you going with standard B-C tuning or something else?

peterpalmieri likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021