1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Medium Scale Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EduardoK, Feb 1, 2008.

Tags:
  1. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Found it on their parts web page. Looks like 46g vs. 49g for Hipshot UL with 1/2" post, vs. 42g for Hipshot with 3/8" post. Anyone watching at home may note that Gotoh Res-o-Lite GB350s are 40g each. Similar in weight to the Sperzel locking tuners (I forget their weight).

Thanks for the tip, I'm always on the lookout for light bass tuners!
    :laugh:

2. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    Gully Foyle likes this.
  3. bassplace

bassplace

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Also says it is rare "electric ass....". I'm tempted

tom_305, DavesnothereCA and JohnMalay like this.
  4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone know where I can look for non-custom 6 strings (BEADGC)? I want to try before I start saving my pennies to make sure my assumptions are on point.

BeeTL likes this.
  5. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I see some Ibanez EHB1005SMS models have popped up on Reverb.

Did I order one in Emerald Green Metallic? I sure did! :woot:

6. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    RodRy likes this.
  7. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    You will struggle to find anything non custom I'm afraid, and it's partly for good reason, making a 32" scale low B work requires expertise, not the kind of thing that can usually be achieved on a production line.

There's only one affordable 32" 5er I know that is good, and that's the Ibanez Mezzo, but your best bet for a 6er would be to find a second hand custom on here.

One more luthier to throw in, I play ACG basses, www.acguitarsco.uk
    Mine are all 31.5" scale, 4, 5 and 6 and they are awesome.
    If you are find yourself going down the custom route for a 32" 6er I wouldn't look any further. They've been making shorter scale 5s and 6s for years and know all the tricks

Cheers,
    Ewan

bassplace and RodRy like this.
  8. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Do all 32" scale basses have a narrower neck at the heel compared to 34" scale basses?
    I like the string spacing on a 34" but like the scale of a 32".

BeeTL likes this.
  9. Terry Farmer

Terry Farmer Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Type-55
    All of the 32” necks I have used, seen or read about have the same heel width as well as string spacing as their relative 34” necks.

Type-55 and RodRy like this.
  10. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Thanks

11. Dino Boreanaz

Dino Boreanaz Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    If it helps, the heel-end of my MIJ Squier P bass neck measures 2.40" (61.0 mm) wide.

The nut width is 1.585" (40.25 mm), so a little narrower than a long-scale P bass, but not as narrow as a Jazz. The string spacing at the bridge is the typical 3/4" (19 mm).

Edit: added nut width and string spacing at the bridge.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    DavesnothereCA, RodRy and Type-55 like this.
  12. Apparently, someone has bought that blue, medium-scale SX Jazz at Rondo. Hoping for a NBD post from the actual buyer.

reddog likes this.
  13. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    A jazz bass neck is 2.5" at the heel.
    I'm using that as a reference.

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  14. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    My 32" has 19 mm string spacing at the bridge, which is my go-to measurement. What the string spacing is at the heel, I've never measured.

Type-55 likes this.
  15. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    The reason for the measurement at the heel is because my 34" neck is 2.5" and has wider string spacing on the fingerboard.
    My 32" is 1/8 narrower at the heel and the strings are closer together on the neck.
    The bridge on my 32" is a Hipshot Vintage so spacing is 19mm.
    The bridge on my 34" is a Fender Vintage also 19mm.
    So the width of the neck at the heel must have an effect on the string spacing on the neck if both bridges are the same spacing.

16. Dino Boreanaz

Dino Boreanaz Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    The string spacing will be determined by the spacing at the two fixed points ... the bridge and the nut. If the bridge spacing is held constant, as the spacing at the nut changes the string spacing at every point along the string's length also changes by varying amounts. The spacing close to the bridge will change relatively little, while the spacing close to the nut will more closely follow the spacing change at the nut.

The width of the neck heel does not contribute to the string spacing, but would be chosen by the designer to approximately follow the widening of the string spacing from the nut to the bridge to ensure there is sufficient material between the string and the edge of the fretboard.

17. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    And if the designer makes the heel too narrow, and the player plays up near the heel, the strings closest to the may slip off the edge.

The spacing between the strings does not change because of changing the heel width, but the space from each of the outside strings to the edge of the neck at the heel will change.

It's all an exercise in geometry.

Case in Point :

The most common two basses in the world [are they still ?], the Precision and the Jazz, both have the same bridge spacing and heel/pocket width [necks and bodies can usually be swapped], but a the J has a narrower nut width than the P.

This [the difference in nut width] certainly makes a notable difference to the fretting hand, at the lower frets where most of us play most of the time on the neck, but [almost] none to the plucking hand, and not very much difference to how the strings sit at the heel.

A Ric 4001 has a nut width wider than that of a modern P, more like an early P, yet its fretboard width at the 19th or 20th fret [roughly where the heel of a Fender bass would be] is narrower than a P or a J, and its bridge spacing is also narrower, though I've never measured it.

When I put a BadAss II bridge [designed to fit a Fender P or J without modding] onto my Ric, I had to do two things :

1) Fill the cavity in the body so that the new bridge would be supported, and

2) Notch the bridge saddles so that the strings would sit correctly over the pickups' poles and the heel end of the fretboard.

I did Step 2 by eye, not measured, using a small triangular file.

If I had let the strings seek their natural width on that bridge, they would not have matched the original pickups, and likely would have been too close to the edge of the neck at the upper frets.

That said, I rarely play above the 12th fret anyway. :laugh:
    ~

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    RodRy, Dino Boreanaz and Type-55 like this.
  18. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Geometry is the keyword here.

19. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Thanks to all who responded to my question.

20. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For the 32" scale faithful, is there a consensus on a gig bag or case that is the best fit for a medium scale bass? I'm guessing that the pickin's may be slim, but just thought I'd check. If you have any recommendations (other than a full sized gig bag or case), let me know. Thanks.

RodRy and BeeTL like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021