1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official MTD USA Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Strokey

Strokey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    91C089A7-32F6-458B-B31C-56BD75B61FA0. Well, I’m trying the 6-string experiment again. This AG6 was just too good of a deal to pass up. The bass is gorgeous and sounds great.

Attached Files:

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Need some help here. I'm moving in a few weeks and will be transporting my basses in our travel trailer rather than in a POD. My MTD 535 is the only one of my babies that does not have a hard-shell case. It will take about a week to get to Florida and I want the basses to be protected.

Any suggestions? Anyone using the SKB SKB 1SKB‑44RW?

Dan

3. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I used one of those SKB flight safes to transport five basses by air from the Midwest to California a few months ago. It's the way to go. You just need to make sure that your gig bag fits inside the case - it has a molded foam interior lining at the top and bottom that won't accommodate everything. I wound up buying a basic padded gig bag from Guitar Center that would fit more comfortably in the safe than my heavier duty bags.

4. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Hey guys. I’ve been playing basses over 20 years and MTDs for about 5 of them. But for the life of me I can seem to understand why my A string has a strange almost undertone thud to it. Open it is more prominent then fretted. I changed the string thinking it was a bad string and the thud is still there. Is this a zero fret issue? Anyone else ever experience this and if so how did you resolve it?

5. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Can you make a recording to demo it for us? It happens all over the neck on the A string? Are both saddle screws of the A string saddle touching the bridge?

6. Dan Knowlton

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Thanks! That was exactly what I needed to know.

Dan

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    You are welcome. Bear in mind that a big-bodied instrument with a tiltback headstock like an MTD is going to be a squeeze in the Bass Safe no matter what you. Just make sure to find a slim profile gig bag and take it slow loading the case.

One other trick I discovered, use a few long Zip ties around the handle. It will prevent the shells from opening up in case the side latches pop open.

8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Best of luck with the move, Dan!

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Did this just start happening all of a sudden? Could be something with the zero fret or nut, or the bridge saddles, or could even be a neck adjustment issue. I'd recommend taking it in to a good setup tech to get evaluated/fixed.

Bassist30 likes this.
  10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    A good tech can do wonders...A good well experienced tech that is. One with a good long reputation.

vision likes this.
  11. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    That bass is beautiful.

Jaco Pastashoot likes this.
  12. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I agree,

I am going up to see Mike to pick up a new 535 next week so I will take it with me. I am sure he can figure it out.

13. Dan Knowlton

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Thanks! My wife is finally retiring after 41 years of teaching. Florida is closer to her family and my adopted son's Mom and brother, no State income tax, much lower housing prices than San Diego and California is getting CRAZIER!

I am still occasionally wishing I did not sell you that 6x10 Bergantino! I guess I will have to make do with my Accugroove cabs (El Whappo and Tri-112). VBG!

Dan

Sean Baumann likes this.
  14. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Oh, man; you and me both on that NV610. Best cab I ever played through. I had to sell it when we downsized houses. Still miss that one.

15. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Dan, I have a TKL soft case that you can have. It's not a hard case, but it's stiffer than a gig bag. PM me if you wanna come grab it. I'm just down the hill from you, in Santee.

16. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours Supporting Member

First the wise guy answer: Put the kids in the trailer. Basses in the car.

Serious answer. It’s summer and it’s hot. Where will you be staying for the week on the road? How many basses are you Taking??

Answer to the above questions is FedEx. Trust me.

17. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    The wait is nearly over. Mike informed me that he is completing assembly and setup and hopes to ship next week.

The Tobias has been forwarded to another lucky TB’er; which felt a bit like cutting off my left arm.

Will post up when the bass gets here. Should be very interesting. Definitely horse of a different color. I’ll also be interested to hear what Mike thinks about the non-Bart electronics. Probably something along the lines of “yeah, that’s ok, but I still favor the Barts;” which is still cool. At least that could open up some options for other players.

Spfairchild and Dan Knowlton like this.
  18. Dan Knowlton

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Truck, not car - so there is little space available that has AC.

Yeah, I know about the heat. I am putting rigid insulation around the basses to help during the day and we are staying in RV parks at night and will have AC. On how many basses - according to my wife...TOO MANY! But she also doesn't want me to sell any. I have checked into the shipping option and there is no business that will hold the basses for the period of time I need and, since it is a new town for us, nobody to hold them except my brother who lives 16 hours away! They balked when I answered the question on how much I would be insuring the basses for. Fodera Emperor, MTD 535, Roscoe Custom, Lakland 55-94, Lakland 55-64... adds up to quite a bit! At least my rigs are going with the mover and will be insured.

I really don't think that the heat extremes would be any worse than in a FedUp shipping situation.

19. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Just don’t spend too much time here in AZ on the way over! LOL

20. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    NBW MTD634-24

I am loving it !

34481266_1599581433485349_2087637535042830336_n.
    33441936_1584842154947750_2110868124088664064_n.