1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official MTD USA Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Oct 6, 2006.

1. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    It would probably be difficult to know about any consistent tonal differences without building quite a few headless versions for comparison.

2. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    There were no electronics yet in the bass when I saw it.

3. It may continue as long as major airlines continue to restrict musicians from carrying on their instruments and the occasional Facebook horror story of an instrument utterly destroyed by their negligence go viral. I feel like this is more of a response to the circumstances of the world rather than any trend set by the musical community.

vision likes this.
  4. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm not convinced a few inches is going to make a big difference in terms of getting an instrument onto a plane. Guitars won't fit in most overhead compartments any more than most basses will and guitarists are routinely forced to check their guitars at the gate. We'll see. The fact remains that you're still risking having to check your instrument regardless of whether there's a headstock involved or not. If airline travel is the main motivating factor where going headless is concerned then people might figure out sooner than later that their best option is to invest in a good flight case.

Joelc73 likes this.
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's what Mike had to say when I asked him about its tone in general compared to his bread and butter basses:

bass12 and vision like this.
  6. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I wonder what the "details" are - and how many he has built at this point.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Probably multiple refining/tuning aspects that would give the bass the identity they want it to have. I think with Mike it's a combo path of discovery and resolution, so it's probably not like he has a checklist he could share externally.

I know he's already got several orders to fill at this point, so whatever they do to finish things out, they'll be doing it soon. :)

bass12 likes this.
  8. DRay521

DRay521

Aug 2, 2007
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Has anyone played/ordered a 30”-scale model? I mean, while we’re talking short scales...

9. alzabass

alzabass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2010
    New York
    I would love to join the Club, I've being playing MTD's since the 90's

vision likes this.
  10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Welcome, I don't know if we do the number thing anymore or not :) Seems kind of out of fashion as of late.

Tell us about your MTD!

vision and alzabass like this.
  11. We love to see pictures of the instruments @alzabass

alzabass likes this.
  12. alzabass

alzabass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2010
    New York
    Here they are, my red 535 is my first MTD #156, wenge/maple
    Buckeye is fretless, wenge/wenge
    Saratoga is my custom one, love it.

Attached Files:

13. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    That Saratoga is insane! Love it!

alzabass likes this.
  14. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    WOW!!!!!!

alzabass likes this.
  15. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Some MTD action here in this recent global bass project from yours truly :) I'm playing my 534 from 3:10 ;)

16. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Great playing!

kevk and Sean Baumann like this.
  17. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Thanks a lot!! :)

18. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Anyone with any experience on a fretless MTD. I really would like to become more proficient with fretless and I can’t imagine a better quality instrument to learn on.

19. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    I have played many of Mike’s fretless basses, and can attest that they are the bomb. I have a fretless MTD 635 with a maple board with titanium rods to warm it up- an unlikely combination that works, it is extremely versatile. As you can imagine, just as Mike combines woods on his fretted basses, he has combinations of woods for fretless for aggressive, growly, woody, upright sounding, and everything in between.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    bassgrackle likes this.
  20. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I’ve owned a few of Mike’s fretless basses and everyone of them was amazing.

Trust Mike on the wood combos. Tell him what you’re looking for and go from there. Two combos that stick out are chambered Mahogany with redwood and ebony or ash with walnut and ebony.

The mahogany bass had tons of swell and punch while the ash had growl and presence that was addictive!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    bassgrackle likes this.