Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The official "say nice things" Olympic thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Okay, we've all seen some bad things about the Olympics. I mean, what else does the media love more than a scandal, right?

Well, this is not the thread to talk about scandals in. This is the place where we talk about something good. Good sportsmanship, a great come-from-behind story, or something that made you laugh. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Olympics.

So, what's struck your fancy? I saw something pretty cool today. When Christian Z (can't remember his last name) crossed the finish line in the 4x10km cross country relay, he turned around the shouted encouragments to the two guys battleing for second place. This is something I have never really seen outside of X-games competitions. It struck me as an incredibly honorable and sportsman-like thing to do.

Anyone else?

Rock on
    Eric

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The Olympics tickle me because I suddenly find myself actually caring about events that for four years I couldn't give a flying rat about.

And how about the snowboard-cross? It's a new event this Olympics. And it looks like a cross between snowboarding, rally racing, and roller derby.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Norwegian dude who fell down at the start in the half skiing, half cross country race in one of the first days. He came back form dead last to get second. That was a great story.

-Mike

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I was impressed by Zhang Dan after she crashed in the pairs. That was one nasty fall.

You could tell she was in some severe pain but managed to pull herself up and after being checked by her trainer, finished the routine with her partner and they still earned a Silver Medal.

5. Two words... Yellow and Snow, you figure it out! :smug:

6. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'm gonna have to say hockey is the story for me (yeah, big surprise, being a Canadian and all) but it's not for the same old reasons. Women's hockey is not only great because we're winning but because we're starting to see hints of competition. Just look at Sweden upsetting the US and heading to the final against Canada. I fully expect it to be a blowout, but just having Sweden fighting for gold should be enough to help the sport grow.

Men's hockey is also making me smile. Sure my Canadian boys aren't exactly living up to the hype, but look at Finland and Slovakia. They're frickin' amazing, and it's all because they know how to skate and work hard as a team. Losing to the Fins was a bit disheartening, but the hockey that team put together was phenomenal to watch. I can't wait until the Canadian men figure out that the world has caught up and they're going to have to start skating fast and hard if they want to win.

All in all, I'd say this olympics has been nothing but goodness for the sport of hockey.

-Nate

PS: Oh yeah, and you can't forget the speed skater from China named Manli Wang. Sure it's juvenile, but it made me chuckle.

7. Need a reason to watch the Olympics?

[​IMG]
    :eek:

Schwing! Yeah, that's right, I'm going to watch ice dancing tonight and I'm not afraid to admit it. I wouldn't have thought that possible a week ago.

I also absolutely love Olympic hockey - so much talent on the ice. The U.S. Men's team has been looking pretty sad, though.

8. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Yup, i saw this one.
    I got to say that that's what Olympic games are all about.
    Those ar the real stories , Not giving up and fighting till the end even if the situation looks bad.

9. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    In the women's cross-country relay, one of the canadian women broke her pole during the race, and the NORWEGIAN coach gave them a replacement pole. And the Norwegians were leading at that point. :eek:

Now THAT is sportsmanship. Hats off to the Norwegians.

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Ditto! Major kudos to the Norwegians! :cool:

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've watched a load of the coverage as it has been at good times for us in Europe and the last 2 weekends have been really grey, wet and miserable - no incentive to go out!! ;)

I really like looking at the beautiful scenery on the mountains, especially when the weather has ben bright - amazing quality pictures!

I liked all the Snowboarding events - great stuff !

I liked skeleton bob and luge - as well as Ski Jumping.

I suppose the "Gold Riband" events are the downhill ski-ing and I watched all that , as well as a lot of the figure skating.

I liked most everything - except the Hockey !! I tried, but the games are really dull and it is impossible to see where the puck is, except on slow-mo replays! :meh:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Oh - what I did really like was the coverage by the BBC on Digital Satelllite !! :)

So - they had an interactive multi-screen option, where they split the screen and you could choose which event you wanted to watch, using your remote control - this was great as you could switch between events to get the most interesting parts of all of them!

So - you could see when there was a break in the skating for example, and go to something else, then come back when they were on the ice again - also if some events had loads of poor standard competitors - you could avoid those parts.

Oh and every time the Hockey came on, we switched over as well!!

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Dorfmeister rules !

14. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Spoken like a true un-canadian... not-canadian... i mean non-canadian.
    whatever :meh:

Vorago: yeah, nice win for Dorfmeister. It's her last season too, eh?

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Icehockey is hard to follow, just try to follow the centre of the camera focus.

"so, I heard Canada is now legalising group sex"
    "really?"
    "yeah, but there's a limit on how much people involved"
    "how much"
    "11"
    "why so?"
    "if there's more than 11 Canadians in the same room at the same time, they automaticly start playing ice hockey"

badabumtsjing.

Gotta love Jay Leno

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That was awesome. That has to be the most insane sport in the world. I like to think I'm a brave fella, but you will never catch me flying down a tube of ice headfirst on a couple skinny metal rails with a skin tight suit on. No way!!

-Mike

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What do you find so attractive? The way he only buttons his shirt up half way, or the shaggy goatee ? :eek:

**ZING**....I can get away with razzin' a fellow 'Burgher. :D

-Mike

18. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    When I first saw Curling I thought that was the stupidest sports I had ever seen. Now that I've given it a chance recently I could watch it all day. Man a strategy sport.

19. American women took bronze in hockey. Not great, but pretty good. And those shut-outs at the begining of competition, wow!! Maybe womens sports will take off (take off, you hoser!!) here in the states a bit more.

The doping thing has been a bit of a let down. But in all, these have been some interesting, clean Olympics. And no French judges!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've been ill, and I've seen a lot of;

Skiing; Downhill, Slalom, Super G, Combined, both men and ladies.

Iceskating; I love watching in on Dutch television. These guys know what they are talking about. Congrats on the Chicago dude on the 1000 m btw.

Curling; zwip zwip zwip zwip roooaar zwip zwip nooooooo *clunk* aaaaah bummer. love it :D

Icehockey; tough sport to play, not so very cool to watch because I never see where the puck is at.