1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Welcome "nanymoa" ! You are Official Short Scale Bass Club member number 615 :) .

nanymoa likes this.
  2. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I have a pair of Peavey Super Ferrites and was thinking about installing them in my ss Jag. Actually a lot of projects I want to try, but really cautious of my time right now. Maybe summertime.

Nebula24 and GotRoot? like this.
  3. Lanaka

Lanaka

Sep 8, 2018
    Aloha, I would like to join the short scale club. I have a 60-70s vintage Univox 'Lectra violin bass and soon will have a 80-90s vintage Samick short scale PJ (SOB-PJ-WH). The 'Lectra is a $50 fixer-upper bought from a local guitar shop. The "SOB" is a well-maintained modified bass from a local professional musician. Photos below:

The Univox 'Lectra
    (My Photo of the "work-in-progress" project bass)
    01 - 0F989D5C-BE16-4E3F-9D8E-8581E4392825.

The Samick SOB-PJ-WH Short Scale Bass. (Seller provided photo, I'll update later with my own photos after i pick it up next week).
    01 - 00J0J_7N9BBp0UTlr_1200x900.

GotRoot? and Fat Freddy like this.
  4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Do you promise not to play ukulele?....:D

5. Lanaka

Lanaka

Sep 8, 2018
    LOL, sorry Fat Freddy, I've already started learning to play the 'uke! :bassist:

Got a few of those including a solid body electric ukulele. Fun playing that one thru a bunch of distortions and other pedals! Planning a few mods to this baby too (pups, pots, bridge, tuners and nut)!
    KIMG0148 - Copy.JPG

6. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Can't say that I'm surprised :rolleyes::D

Lanaka likes this.
  7. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Even as a fixer-upper, $50 sounds like a steal to me.

Lanaka and Fat Freddy like this.
  8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Welcome "Lanaka" ! You are Official Short Scale Bass Club member number 616 :) .

Lanaka likes this.
  9. Charles Barrow

Charles Barrow

Jan 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    20190222_174031. My rig last night.

Duder, GotRoot?, Nebula24 and 4 others like this.
  10. Modder

Modder

Jan 2, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    C190FA5C-4CB5-4939-AE85-EF2725BDB285. So, the Ric went to a new home, which freed up enough cash for this new American Performer plus some change; here it is with its older Mexican brother! I really liked the MIM, but first impressions are the AP is another level!

Nebula24, Darr61, Duder and 5 others like this.
  11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Here is my heavily modified Gretsch Junior Jet. I bought it brand new, and have since refinished it from the factory green poly, to a mahogany stain with wax oil finish. I also removed the bridge pickup and made a matching cover for the cavity. Electronics were replaced with higher quality CTS pots. The switch is just a dummy switch now. This bass is just plain fantastic. It has a gorgeous full yet clear sound that really sounds great in a mix. It plays perfectly, and weighs under 7 lbs. It gets a lot of use on gigs. I’m a big fan of short scales. They have a unique low end response that seems to sit a little higher in the mix.

67930544-23C2-4188-A36D-B6B9DDF439FA.

12. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Slammin' together a stipped and cleared '78 musicmaster body loaded with a small sized chi-sonic.1 pc bronco style 'guard and a used mim mustang P/J neck.:bassist::bassist::bassist:

musicmaster bass body.PNG musicmaster with chisonic 2.PNG musicmaster with chi sonic.PNG

Duder, lousybassist, whyseye and 6 others like this.
  13. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Super cool!

GotRoot? and pudge like this.
  14. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Thanks ,great job on that GRETSCH!Love the brown finish.I had a black one I traded off for some vintage parts a guy had that I needed.It was a really great shorty!Those are underrated and overlooked.

AMJBASS likes this.
  15. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    those are huge toothpicks

pudge likes this.
  16. I acquired an Olympic White Mustang PJ. It sounds great.

17. That’s a great job. How on earth did you remove the green poly so well?!

pudge likes this.
  18. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Each one is a lifetime supply in itself.

19. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I’ve refinished several poly finished basses... generally I’ll use scrapers and then finish sand with gradually higher grit paper. This one I had to use a palm sander and just work away at it carefully. I’m not sure I’d want to do it again ;) The undercoat on these basses is thick.

pudge likes this.
  20. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I’ll take a number. First shorty since my first bass in the ‘70s.

Godin Dorchester 4. Impeccable build. Impeccable finish. Impeccable frets. Aggressive sound. With fresh chromes, and dialing back the tone, it really sounds great. Set relief almost flat and action about 1.75mm very cool imo. NBD Godin Dorchester 4 SS 44DAF57C-90CA-4CC9-ACC0-81BA52244C56.

JEBassman, Duder, matt-o- and 10 others like this.