1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    TK4261, MovinTarget and RodRy like this.
  2. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    I agree. I tried one in a store, just before shutdown, and it felt just as comfortable as a short-scale.

RodRy likes this.
  3. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Pics?

MovinTarget likes this.
  4. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    It is out in the shop being trimmed and painted. The body is very light and there is neck dive with a full PBass style headstock. I saw/sand it down to a '51 style and paint it to match the body. I'll do a pic when it is installed.

RodRy likes this.
  5. I reshaped my Warmoth headstock last night and did a test fitting of the tuners...I really, really like this Goncalo Alves neck wood. The neck itself without hardware weighs 2.1lbs. Today I'm adding the Luminlay side dots. :thumbsup:

Before reshape:
    BdZ3Vso.jpg

After:
    X1bgyvT.jpg

eJaKAz1.jpg

doixBUe.jpg

NtLNIGk.jpg

BRs4z7O.jpg

6. RodRy, TK4261 and MovinTarget like this.
  7. Jeremy Unruh

Jeremy Unruh

Jan 22, 2020
    NorCal
    Nice looking Bass for sure! I find it interesting that they put a locking 1/4" jack on it. Not very common in guitars / basses. Though it definitely adds to the aesthetics of the bass.

MovinTarget, RodRy and TK4261 like this.
  8. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I dig the reshape, and those tuners look so choice on there.
    :D

TK4261 and MovinTarget like this.
  9. Received my Warmoth short scale body today!! Turned out amazing!!! Weighs in at 3.8lbs.
    Roasted Swamp Ash with clear satin
    Reverse P route and J & contoured heel :cool:

gDcY7YO.jpg

WAI1PMp.jpg

gVvqLZD.jpg

wT0rH5E.jpg

0XnB98r.jpg

10. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Beautiful! Congrats. Will look forward to seeing the finished product.

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    RodRy and TK4261 like this.
  12. Thank you Rod! If this bass turns out as good as I hope I will be selling my short scale Sandberg Lionel Bass...I love the Sandberg but its just a tad to heavy at 8.9 lbs and it kills my shoulder after one hour at rehearsal and we rehearse for 3-4 hours a couple of times a week. Been using my SS EBMM Stingray and 32" Warmoth P bass for practice lately.

Thank you John...I'll keep posting progress pics :thumbsup:

Thank you Mongo, The tuners and bridge are Schaller Vintage Copper finish...I had to buy from Europe cause I could not find here in the states. The rest of the hardware (neck plate, jack plate, string tree & Strap buttons) I'll be using is just generic labeled Antique Bronze that I also had to buy from Europe.

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Thanks, I was just looking at antique bronze finishes but they seem to be used mostly for plumbing fixtures and home decor here in the US. The finish ln those parts looks great.

RodRy and TK4261 like this.
  14. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    TK4261, OldCoupeTom and MovinTarget like this.
  15. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Having met you through your selling of the customized Mustang to fund your Lionel, then watching the customization of that bass, I'm feeling like we've been on a journey together.

I certainly understand about the shoulder fatigue. My short scale SBMM StingRay weighs 8.5 pounds, which is surprisingly heavy to me. I was able to alleviate that by using a custom 3" wide strap from Coco Guitar Straps on Etsy. I really recommend her straps to everyone. Top quality, light weight, super comfortable, and amazing fabric patterns. There's a layer of padding built in which makes them both soft and more grippy than they would be if just folded fabric. You may want to give some consideration to a new strap before selling the bass.
    IMG_4604.JPG

16. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    For your consideration:

mikewalker, kevk, Kubicki Fan and 4 others like this.
  17. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    My Lionel is also heavier than expected - weird to pick it up, it's deceiving. But it sounds and feels so good, I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe 8.7 pounds or so, all in the body, it is reasonable enough on the strap.

18. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    The new Sire U5 is very interesting....

RodRy, MTN.bass72 and MovinTarget like this.
  19. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Agreed. But I'm still wondering about neck dive while standing. He didn't cover that. One can always compensate while sitting. Would have been nice to know

RodRy and gigetto like this.
  20. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Upper horn looks to be parallel with the 12th or even the eleventh fret and he mentioned the tuners were light...

EDIT: He didn't say the tuners were light, but normal. My bad. He does say its comfortable sitting and based on the horn position, I would think with a good strap this would be fine.

This is the first time I've ever seen him give "five claws" to ANY bass!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    RodRy, TK4261 and MTN.bass72 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021