1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Between my basses only one has a serious neck dive and It is 34" Mikro Ibanez has no remarkable deep for example, depends.

RodRy likes this.
  2. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I missed something there. You have a MiKro with a 34" scale? How?
    :jawdrop:

minronnee and MovinTarget like this.
  3. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    No I've forgotten a point.
    "Between my basses only one has a serious neck dive and It is 34". Mikro Ibanez has no remarkable deep for example, depends."

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Surely the system in Blighty is the same as the penal colonies. The customs website has listings for all the procedures and fees, and if something is not listed, an email usually gets an answer promptly. The carriers handle the procedures, so for instance Fedex does the calc, sends you an email with what's owing, you pay it, and it just gets delivered. I can look up anything, calc fees/duties and know within 50c what the final cost will be. I keep and print emails and other docs and in the few times (out of hundreds) there has been an issue, I have had the paperwork and argued my case successfully.
    Usually, it's not more difficult than buying something from ebay/amazon, maybe an extra 15 mins work.

Just suggesting you look into the details for the future, because an overworked customs person won't give a crap about you, but if you are prepared, they will almost always buckle. Not worth their hassle.

PS: I'm not and never have been a dealer, I was just early into internet sales, so bought/sold a lot of instruments when no one was buying them from Japan and US to other countries.
    Very nice and suble. I just scrolled past first time and thought walnut, but the grain was too pronounced.

5. Did some more work on my Warmoth short scale neck. Added my logo and installed the Luminlay side dots. Getting it all ready to drop the neck and body off at the Luthier on Friday for final assembly and setup :cool:

vyhNKTY.jpg
    pkUuO95.jpg
    SKDYXkO.jpg

6. I'm in the USA so things may be a bit different here, but I agree. I've bought bass gear from both the UK and from France, and the import costs have never been shocking.

RodRy likes this.
  7. Took my Warmoth neck & body to the Luthier last night for final assembly. I should have it back in a week or two...Can't wait to play it :thumbsup:

JK9D0re.jpg
    toaOBu2.jpg

mikewalker, kevk, Duder and 18 others like this.
  8. Jeremy Unruh

Jeremy Unruh

Jan 22, 2020
    NorCal
    That looks awesome!!!!

9. LarryG

LarryG

Oct 30, 2001
    SWFL

10. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

Fantastic buid. It looks like the Schaller bridge has been bronzed. How did you do that? Also, which tuners did you go with?

11. halfwound121

I've had this Lakland HB30 for a few years, and never loved the finish. I sent it to my luthier to refinish in LP blue tempImageQHCQkG.png and i couldn't be happier with the result:

noahw1, petch, mikewalker and 19 others like this.
  12. Both the bridge and tuners are Schaller Vintage Copper. I could only find them in France. The rest of the hardware is generic that I found on the same site.

4 STRINGS BASS BRIDGE SCHALLER 3D-4 VINTAGE COPPER SCHALLER

XkaPSkY.jpg

13. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Looks great. How do you like the Lakland bass itself? Does it play well? Sound good? Etc.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  14. halfwound121

I love it. I have a lot of short-scales, and this is one of my favorites to play. Took it on a 2 week vacation a couple years ago, when I could only pick one to bring. I get a much deeper tone now with the .1 capacitor, but I usually play with enough treble that the stock cap was okay. Also, it's very light and well balanced. Lakland necks are exceptional, and the PLEK they do on the frets allows you to get very low action. I know I sound like an ad, but I really do like Laklands. If I didn't already own one, I would jump on one of the new black HB30 models.

15. halfwound121

16. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    Do you have any pictures of your HB30 without the
    pic-guard installed? Just wondering what it looks like.

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  17. Just a heads up, I have 2 of my short scales for sale in the classifieds. My 30" Warmoth custom Jazz with Ezi pickups 7lbs and my custom ordered 30" Sandberg Lionel 8.9lbs..Need to fund a couple of custom orders :cool:

atiVp60.jpg
    Qa6hsQt.jpg

rxvbQgJ.jpg

:thumbsup:

18. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
  19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    You guys saw this one, the Vox STARSTREAM ACTIVE BASS 1H ARTIST (comes in white and red too, and in a passive and an active version with 2x J pickup configuration as well) :
    VSB_BK-1H-Product-1.png

Starstream Basses Archives - Vox Amps

Man, I love that design! :drool:

Wonder if an Ibanez Mikro Bass neck would fit that neck pocket, that would be a dream come true for me.

Way too expensive to buy one only to discover it won't though.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    mikewalker, gigetto, Vishyyy and 4 others like this.
  20. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Even if it did it would never come close to intonating correctly.

MovinTarget and RodRy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021