1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I can't see why not, obviously you would of course need to relocate the bridge accordingly to the shorter scale length for that to be possible, but that is not exactly anywhere near an impossible procedure, I would dare say even a quite trivial one (we are talking about a scale length difference of slightly bellow 2" here. The Vox being 30.32", the Mikro being 28,6").

It would however become a quite expensive experiment with how the Vox is priced, but if I had that kind of money to spare and I knew with absolute certainty that the neck heel of the Mikro neck fitted like a glove into the neck pocket of the Vox I would do it without any hesitation.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    RodRy likes this.
  2. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Love the design, not so much the price.
    :greedy:

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. Hoigle

Hoigle

Aug 9, 2016
    Portland, OR
    RodRy likes this.
  4. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Looks to be only one seller who's got the price in the basement. Makes me wonder about that seller. Mid summer, I spotted some $200 kayaks too. :cautious:

Good thing for me is that the low priced models all have a maple with block inlays and bound fretboards. :meh:

MovinTarget likes this.
  5. Bigal1369

Bigal1369

Dec 7, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I actually bought one from that seller with No problems. I actually paid 450.00 for it. Plus tax. I got the one with Jazz pickup. I did a review on it. Under Vox starstreamer. I would have never paid 1500. For it but for 450. It was a deal for me. In the post I talk about what I had to make it to my liking.

Protagonist, RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  6. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    If only they had the dark wood neck models at that price. My bank account would dip lower.
    Glad to hear the seller is reputable!

7. Hoigle

Hoigle

Aug 9, 2016
    Portland, OR
    MovinTarget and RodRy like this.
  8. Bigal1369

Bigal1369

Dec 7, 2015
    Los Angeles
    There is no neck diveon the bass. The bass lay down nicely for me sitting down. There was another gentleman on tread that said it didn't feel good for him every one is different. I had a bad injury so for its fine, the way it sit sitting down. I did have to modify the ernie ball strap locks on bass. It does sit different than a regular bass. The bass I have the neck does want to be at 2:30 3:00 clock but doesn't dive to the floor. That's about the best I can tell you. Hope this helps. I actually had another review a few post back on that tread.

RodRy, MovinTarget and Hoigle like this.
  9. TK4261

TK4261 Supporting Member

Well I just ordered this 30" custom Maruszczyk Cazpar bass a few days ago and picked this Spalted Maple top for it..12-15 week wait begins :D

kisPloc.png

yiOMCBV.jpg

10. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Holy wow! You keep raising your bass game! Sheesh, I can't wait to see how this turns out.
    :thumbsup:

11. Those short scale Laklands sound fantastic, but I agree that the burst finish most come in is somewhat lackluster. This LPB, on the other hand, looks really great!

12. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    Recently picked up this 530-24... 28FDE7A7-ABF0-49A5-9949-2D8F27C871D4.jpeg
    I have it strung e~c. My only 30” bass, in a stable of 34’s...but wow, it sounds/plays fantastic! Becoming a short scale believer...:)

mikewalker, LowWay, JIO and 12 others like this.
  13. Outshined91

Outshined91 Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Connecticut
    I have a question. I find my short scale bass somewhat unfulfilling sometimes, as I love Soundgarden and enjoy down-tuning but my tone goes out the wazoo when I drop the E down to C. Are there any strings/set-up recommendations for tunings such as CGCG or BADG? Don't get me wrong though, I love my Mustang (30", top loading bridge) and its tone. Thanks! :D

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  14. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Why not grab a short scale 5 string? They're out there for not too much money.

15. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Mikro 5er runs ~$200 or less used. Can get it in any color, as long as it's black ;)

16. New bass amp today... I got a new Fender Rumble 100 for my Short Scale Basses ... Here are 2 of my Hofners with the new amp! rumble100i1.jpg fumblrsgorty.jpg

17. John Stephen

John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Nice score! Nice Hofners too. Congrats.

18. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

OutSTANDING, Scoot! Come show those pix in the Fender Rumble Club and get a free membership number. (ps, if you're superstitious you might wanna hurry, 'cause we're aweful close to the 1300s, if you wanna get one of the last 1200s.) :whistle:

19. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Mighty fine combo! After you post on the Rumble Club, you may want to drop in and post this at the The Combo Club !

Then just play the heck out of it!
    :woot:

20. Outshined91

Outshined91 Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Connecticut
    There have been 3 reasons keeping me from the 5 strings:
    1) My wrists aren't good with the wider necks (owned one for some months!)
    2) I've been saving $$ for a fretless build later this year, so was hoping for a cheaper fix...
    3) This is nit-picky but a lot of the fingerings and low-high string double stop tones that I like about having strings tuned in octaves are hard to do on 5 strings.

Are there any strings you can recommend, or perhaps a set-up/action change? Thanks for the input! :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    RodRy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021