1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Hoigle

Hoigle

Aug 9, 2016
    Portland, OR
    That Cazpar looks amazing! How is it ordering with them? I'm guessing they speak English? I sent them an email and never heard back, maybe I'll try a phone call to Poland...

RodRy, TK4261 and MovinTarget like this.
  2. Custom sets of strings are the way to go - I recently bought from Newtone in the UK, for the US I believe Stringjoy are good. I'd be looking at contacting whoever you buy from to see what their 'stiffest' strings are - I prefer hex core.

I've got a set with a .112 bottom string, and it works okay for C#. It's perfect when tuned to Eb, imo, but a bit floppy. For something like CGCF, I'd be looking at a .118, .120 maybe to start with, and adjust from there. Probably a .130 minimum for a low B. I use .50, .70, .90 for the three top strings tuned half a step down, I'd recommend at least that if you're dropping a full step.

You'll likely need to recut your nut to allow for thicker strings, definitely re-intonate, and set the bridge height & neck relief. If I'm making a drastic change like that, I like to let my tech do it, he's fantastic and really gives me a strong starting point. It's a worthy investment, for me anyway.

It could be a long & pricey process to get the right strings for you - some people prefer more tension, others less. I play aggressively with a pick, playing with fingers could need a completely different string. All my experience on this is with rounds, so adjust as needed for flats.

Good luck!

3. TK4261

TK4261 Supporting Member

Thank you, Hopefully it looks amazing with that top on it...fingers crossed. I created an account on their website then emailed them @ info@public-peace.de Adrian responded back to me pretty quick in English.. He was very helpful. I would try again. :thumbsup:

4. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    The Cazpar is, IMO, the best-looking short-scale bass out there. Importantly it also puts both strop buttons and the bridge in the right places for best balance and reach. I've been close to ordering one a few times. What's stopped me is that the Cazpar would be more expensive than any of my other basses, and I just couldn't justify the cost, given my skill level. I'm interested to see how yours turns out. Please post when you get your "couch" photo.

Hoigle, TK4261, Protagonist and 3 others like this.
  5. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    For anyone thinking about a short scale hollowbody, there's this very interesting review round-up. I can personally vouch for the Fender Starcaster, shown in my avatar, as it's become my number one go-to, even strung BEAD! :thumbsup:

sorin_g, RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Latest shot of my main Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass after a successful GSRM20B Weathered Black finish body transplant :
    Iabanez-GSRM20-New-B-Body-B6-small.jpg

You can read about the procedure here :
    "Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

Jeremy Unruh and Volker Kirstein like this.
  7. JIO

JIO shaken - not stirred Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    upload_2021-2-10_23-31-49.jpeg upload_2021-2-10_23-32-10.jpeg

8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    mikewalker, Datsgor, RodRy and 4 others like this.
  9. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
  10. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Now you can play Seven Nation Army!
    :laugh:

11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
  12. Thud Staff

Thud Staff Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    Hummina, hummina, hummina.....gorgeous!

4 Out of 5, RodRy, pfern and 2 others like this.
  13. kjp360

kjp360

Feb 11, 2014
    grrg63, G-Dog and RodRy like this.
  14. velobob

velobob Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2013
  15. BigAndyA

BigAndyA

Aug 7, 2018
    Tennessee
    grrg63, RodRy, kjp360 and 1 other person like this.
  16. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    A lot of us started out playing short-scale (beginner) basses in the '60s, graduating to 34" full-scale ("real") basses and are now re-discovering short-scale (just as real!) basses! :) I still primarily play 34" scale (and a couple 32" scale!) but own a few short-scale basses and enjoy playing them! It's all good! :bassist:

j5eugene, BazzaBass, Rafar and 5 others like this.
  17. TK4261

TK4261 Supporting Member

I added a clear pickguard to my Ernie Ball 30" Stingray recently and I am digging it :hyper:

njG1I7g.jpg

18. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    With a finish like that, I don't blame ya!

19. John Stephen

John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Nice!

MovinTarget and TK4261 like this.
  20. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    This is my 2nd foray into short scales. At first it seemed cramped but I'm really finding a comfort zone the Hofner Club bass just didn't have. It almost had me rethinking my latest Warmoth build, but I stayed with a 32" scale neck for the P-Bass. I still need to go through a full setup but this is a keeper I think.

SBMM Stingray SS.JPG

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021