1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Outshined91

Outshined91 Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Connecticut
    Holy mama!! Me want!! :woot::drool:

4 Out of 5 and TK4261 like this.
  2. JPJ

JPJ Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    What's your impression of the overall quality and craftsmanship (fretwork, nut, wood quality, pickups/electronics quality), etc.?

MovinTarget likes this.
  3. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    The fit and finish are just excellent, I have no complaints. Tight neck pocket with a 6 screw neck plate and the frets are levelled and crowned enough to not need any work. Saying that, I may give it a level and re-crown sometime only because I do my own work and can, but it certainly doesn't need it to be a great bass. Fret ends are consistent and well rounded, no sharpness at all. It's clean running your hand up and down the fretboard but the nut could use some rounding of the edges, it's a little sharp when down on the 1st fret position. It's cut well though and just needs a little clean up. It's plastic, I wouldn't mind putting a bone nut in it's place. The strap button sits at the 11th fret so reach is very compact which made for the cramped feeling but that's going away. The neck wood is fine to me although it has the feeling of being not as dense as say, my Warmoth and G&L maple necks. The electronics are fine. I got no complaints yet. A couple of nits to pick on are the tuners having a bit of a loose feeling and I wish there was a little more space between the bridge and control plate like the U.S. model.
    Overall, I am impressed with what $600.00 can get these days. It's a fine instrument indeed. I gotta say, the bridge is impressive.
    Peace.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    MovinTarget likes this.
  4. IMO looks much better

John Stephen, TK4261 and MovinTarget like this.
  5. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    The feel of a Hofner is not just its scale length, it's the neck profile and radius and what it is attached to. Not everybody likes it. I can only comment on the cheaper ones, the German ones may be very different. I have had a few and, playing in a cover band, a one-trick pony isn't going to be an easy choice for me, but I felt the need to try it for a while.

6. JPJ

JPJ Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  7. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    New Sire Marcus Miller U5 short scale on its way. I got the mint(sea foam) color. Will post pics next week.

RodRy, Protagonist, revroy and 3 others like this.
  8. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

Friends, I’m looking for a short scale but given the times, don’t have the opportunity to play any possible choices. If you were in the market today, what would you purchase and why? I know price range... nothing crazy expensive - no Alembics - but I do want a quality instrument. I could be persuaded to look at the Sterling Stingray SS or the Sire U5, but I could go higher than that if it made a real difference. Probably a $2K cap at this point... new or used.

RodRy and TK4261 like this.
  9. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    2k gets you most anything. I dig my SBMM, at 550 it's a great deal. I liked my Gibson DC (an injury is the only reason I don't have it), the Nordstrand Acinonyx is stellar. A used Musicmaster is great. Some of these newer Fenders are pretty cool, the Sire is a great deal too. maybe a used Serek? Reverend Mike Watt models, my 32" Fatfish plays incredible and the neck is fantastic.

RodRy, pfern and MovinTarget like this.
  10. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    At that price cap you could check out any number of manufacturers. Almost everyone is getting in on the SS craze right now.

Heck, you could even get an Ibanez headless shortscale! I am not saying you would but all these niches are becoming so commonplace you can actually get a headless multiscale short scale 5 string off the rack from Ibanez and it would be in your budget.

Having said all that, do you know what "style" body and neck profiles you prefer? Pickup config?

Chances are its out there in short scale these days.

11. TK4261

TK4261 Supporting Member

I just posted my Ernie Ball USA short scale Starry Night in the classifieds :thumbsup:

Protagonist, RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  12. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Rob Allen Mouse is a looker, never played it.

Plenty of demos on YT of the models you listed too.

13. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I purchased my 2 SS new, both combined for under $2K.

G&L Tribute Fallout
    Acinonyx

14. pfern

pfern PFern Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I have a Reverend Dub King Short scale for sale, see link below. :)

15. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    I can vouch for the Reverend Dub King sounding great and needing no mods. Tomorrow fed ex will bring me a new Sire U5 in mint (seafoam). After I string it with some DR Sunbeams I will post how it compares with my other 8 short scales. This will be my first maple fretboard bass so I may try some pressure wounds also.

16. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I got my Sandberg Lionel in December and will give it a 100% recommendation. Options add up quick, but the base model is very fairly priced for what you get.

17. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

This and the Rev. Dub King are a bit early for my timing... I have to say that the Stingray SS is at the top of my list though and would be a serious consideration should it still be around when I’m ready/able to purchase.

@TK4261 , can you comment about what differences there are between the US build and the Sterling?

@Bass Man Stan , I’ll be really interested in your thoughts on the Sire.

I did see an Acinonyx for sale here and the bass really interests me but I’m nervous about the lifespan of the push buttons and the crazy narrow neck. The videos sound great.

I have played a couple of Rob Allens and they are very cool but I need more of a workhorse than a one trick pony regardless of how cool that pony might be.

Keep the thoughts coming... you all are helping me narrow things I think.

RodRy, MovinTarget and TK4261 like this.
  18. TK4261

TK4261 Supporting Member

I had originally bought a Sterling and ended up sending it back and ordering the USA SS Stingray. The sterling was nice but mine was a bit heavy at around 8 &1/2lbs and the frets needed work...QC is hit and miss with the Sterlings. The USA SS Stingray is night and day difference in feel and quality. The weight, woods and amazing neck/fretboard and frets on the USA Stingray is a huge upgrade in Quality and craftsmanship over the Sterling IMO. Similar in sound though :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 4:19 PM
    RodRy and revroy like this.
  19. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    Recent acquisition - Gretsch Junior Jet II - removed fretboard overhang, removed pickguard, aligned pickups (they were not lined up with the strings), swapped black screws for the chrome ones on the pickup ring, installed a Fender drop in High Mass bridge - its a sweet bass with great tones! I played a Squier Mustang today and the neck felt like a miniature bass rather than a short scale. I love Fender basses but not sure I can deal with the Mustang - the Gretsch feels much more like an real instrument for some reason? IMG_7354.JPG

20. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.

Yooooo!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021