1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Dang! You just don't like keeping basses, do you?
    Your loss is another's gain.

In all seriousness, if it were in my price range (under $1000) I would snap this up.
    :D

Protagonist, TK4261 and MovinTarget like this.
  2. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I have a Mouse. It was one of my two "dream basses." It is an absolute joy to play, and it's so beautiful, I like just looking at it. Big dog thump, super easy to handle.
    IMG_6698.JPG

Rafar, MovinTarget and revroy like this.
  3. Lol, Don't get me wrong, I love my SS Stingray but I am finding out that active Basses are the way for me since I play in a cover band and having active treble/bass and mid knobs is pretty beneficial to me on the fly. I have one SS Public Peace on order but would like to order another in a different pickup config..

Would like to order this Cazpar next...Swamp Ash with transparent black finish, Roasted maple neck w/ White Ebony fretboard and Delano extenter P and humbucker :D

fi0ndWp.png

4. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    Sire U5 just showed up. Very nice. Came strung with Ernie Ball nickel plated rounds and sounds a little zinggy. I think DR Sunbeams strung through the body will tame that. I play with a pick mostly and flats sound dead to me. 20210224_162151.jpg 20210224_162119.jpg 20210224_162235.jpg

5. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

Looking forward to hearing a more complete review

6. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    Bass looks really awesome! Might try one of these at some point...curious about the weight?

TK4261, MovinTarget and John Stephen like this.
  7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I play with a pick but my main shorty is a 65 Epiphone Newport w the lone neck 'mudbucker' which is a real beast and right now it has GHS Pressurewounds which are smooth like a flat but a bit more zing...i play flats and rounds on other basses fwiw.

Curious how the tone is with the rounds (other than the zing)?

8. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    Yes I've been curious about the pressure wounds I would like to try them out. My go to short scale bass is the jaguar for comfort and feel of neck. And for sound the Reverend dub King. The neck on Sire is really nice but the pick ups were low and when i raised the P the foam was too flat to push it up. Intonation was set perfect, had to lower the strings. Fit and finish are top notch, the color is a light sea foam green. The binding matches the maple neck and the bass looks high end.

9. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    I don't have a scale but it feels like it weighs the same as the Jaguar. So yes, pretty light.

RodRy, TK4261, kevk and 1 other person like this.
  10. pfern

pfern PFern Supporting Member

Agreed on the Dub King's sound. I'm more of a mid and long scale guy though. My Fatfish gets more play time than my Dub King (now for sale).

RodRy, TK4261 and MovinTarget like this.
  11. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Some scale lengths (rounded):
    32.1" - 34" scale with capo at first fret
    30.3" - 34" capo second fret
    31.4" - Ric, capo first fret
    29.6" - Ric, capo second fret
    30.5" - SG
    29.8" - Epi EB-0 (wonder how this happened)
    30.25" - Hofner Ignition Club Pro

Except for the first one, they're all SG +/- 1".

A capo (tuning to E with the capo installed) gets you improved dead/weak spot performance, and a free "zero fret".

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Protagonist and revroy like this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    It however also leaves you with a wider fretboard and overall a couple of fewer frets than most real short scale basses would provide, plus an unusable additional overhang head side.

13. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    True.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  14. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    It has value in providing the temporary experience if someone wanted to know what it felt like before taking the plunge, but yeah, not really a permanent solution.

15. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    I have taken the plunge, but I have this Ric with somewhat bad dead spots / weak areas, and I wouldn't be the first to play one with a capo.

I "fixed" my 34" basses by swapping on wider/thicker necks, but can't do that with the Ric.

MovinTarget likes this.
  16. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    One of the advantages of a bolt on neck, you can always swap it around as you like, or easily replace it if it should get damaged beyond repair.

One of the main reasons why I really prefer my guitar and basses to have a bolt on neck construction over a set or neck through.

Took advantage of that quite recently when I swapped the no short amazing neck of my old 2010 production Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass, that had a pretty abused and battered body that was was covered in a thick glossy black poly finish, out for the 2017 production Wathered Black finish body from a GSRM20B Mikro Bass, that had an unplayable horrible nec.

Both Mahogany bodies, but with the new body being a great deal lighter than the old one, and I had to fill out the old neck screw holes and drill new ones, since Ibanez apparently changed the pattern of and placement of the neck screws in the meantime, but the new neck pocket fitting really tightly, unlike the old one, which together with being rid of the insanely thick poly finish of the old body in exchange for the super thin wood pores through finish of the new one gave a bit more resonant tone and a bit better sustain.

Rafar, G Aichele, RodRy and 2 others like this.
  17. Logic_11

Logic_11

Nov 22, 2015
    Atlantic Ocean
    Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 2.28.14 PM.png

B-Mac, NoiseNinja, Vishyyy and 8 others like this.
  18. RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  19. Nash jesso

Nash jesso

Feb 27, 2021
    here's my jay turser jtb-40,sign me up! 20210225_154301 (1).jpg

Attached Files:

mcgreivey, B-Mac, j5eugene and 8 others like this.
  20. I like the Seymour Duncan pickup but where are the volume and tone controls? Is it meant for the amp to control the bass...?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021