1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Cool, when do I get to play it?
    Always wanted to hear how those "mudbuckers" sound. Seems like they'd be ideal for reggae.
    :)

WestyBassBob, west al and MovinTarget like this.
  2. Ok, I'm gonna try to ask this question here and hope it doesn't get moved to Luthier section, just because this is the home for short scale people right?

Anyway, I have a '78 Musicmaster, and I have arthritis that's not getting better. The original neck was chunky like a Louisville Slugger so I swapped it out for a Bronco neck. The Bronco feels nice, thin, and plays smooth. I also love the way the maple fretboard looks. But, the sound with this neck seems to have lost some "depth" or resonance as a result of the neck.

I asked already about one of the new Squier Mini P necks but since that is shorter than 30" scale was told the bridge would have to be moved and don't want to mark up the bass by doing that.

Anyway, does anyone on here have any experience with a Squier Jaguar neck on a Musicmaster body. Or at least know how that Jaguar neck compares to the Bronco one.

Any info that any of you could provide would be great. :thumbsup:

3. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I don't have a jag SS, but I would say Jags skew towards Jazz necks. I don't know how that translates for SS though...

WI Short Scaler and RodRy like this.
  4. kjp360

kjp360

Feb 11, 2014
    I have a Jag SS. The neck is much nicer than the Bronco necks I have tried in stores. Perhaps I am biased to dark fretboards, but the Jag has a nice thick dark board that gives the neck a solid feel feel despite the slim neck/narrow nut. I also would say the neck has more sheer weight to it than a Bronco neck FWIW.

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  5. Since you have a Jag SS, would you be able to give me the dimensions of the heel? The thickness and the width would be helpful. Just so I can get an idea of how it would fit in the neck pocket of my bass? If you can I'd appreciate it. :thumbsup:

RodRy likes this.
  6. kjp360

kjp360

Feb 11, 2014
    Sure man easy peasy. Looks like it is 2&1/8" at the top of the neck joint and 2&1/4" at the heel × 1" thick to my bad eyes and floppy old tape.

RodRy and WI Short Scaler like this.
  7. Thank you for the timely assist! :thumbsup: Much appreciated.

Now to find a Jaguar neck. I really hated to take off the original MM neck but it's just so clunky. But I do know it had better resonance so hope this is the ticket.

RodRy likes this.
  8. kjp360

kjp360

Feb 11, 2014
    No worries. I hope it works out for you. Can't go wrong with a black headstock in my book.

RodRy and WI Short Scaler like this.
  9. Then it would match my Squier Musicmaster, the body was pretty bad so had it repainted candy apple red but the headstock is still black. :thumbsup:

RodRy and kjp360 like this.
  10. The Jaguar neck could be made to work if you don't mind a little slop in the neck pocket, but it's going to have a gap. The Bronco's neck measures 58.25mm at the heel, while the Jag is 57.55mm, that's about the thickness of a credit card, and could probably be shimmed up for a tight fit. The bigger issue is that the neck meets the body between the 13 & 14th frets on the Bronco, and at the 15th on the Jag, and the latter has an extra fret. That means you're going to need to move the bridge towards the neck to compensate. Might be easier to look for a Squier Mustang neck, they're getting more common and I wouldn't be surprised if Stratosphere starts parting them out. Having said that, I'm not sure if the necks are compatible either, I haven't measured a Mustang.

11. Still would have to move the bridge? Well if that's the case than I guess it wouldn't be the answer, just not gonna mess with the finish on this bass.

I thought I remembered seeing a zombie thread on here once where a TB'er had two Bronco bodies with Jaguar necks on them, but of course I can't find it now to ask about bridge movement.

Not like it's not playable, leaving it as is is still possible. I never realized how worn down the frets were on that original Musicmaster neck either until I took it off and really looked at it.

Thanks though.

RodRy, MovinTarget and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  12. Yes, the bridge would need to move up about 18.5 mm. It's less than a full fret's difference, but there isn't nearly enough travel in the bridge to do it without a move. Here's a shot of the two with the neck heels aligned, the Bronco is on top.

IMG_20210430_101801.jpg

13. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

If you like the feel of the Bronco neck, you could try to upgrade the pickup from the standard Strat to a real bass pickup. I just paid for an Aero Musicmaster drop-in with 4 poles that fits under the plastic shell of the Strat pickup. It may be a week or so before I get it but I'm hoping for a much fuller tone than my Lace Stat pickup installed now. The Aero was $125 from Bestbassgear.

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  14. shortscalesrule

shortscalesrule Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2017
    California
  15. The pup is upped already to a Nordsrand 51 bass 17mm string spaced.

I have seen these and based on the neck conversations we had here this may be my next step. Just gotta look up the output specs on the Vista Tone pup in my Squier Musicmaster and make some comparisons.

Thanks for the suggestions

16. Excellent Photos!

MovinTarget likes this.
  17. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    Ive been looking for a Squier mustang neck for months. Any suggestions where I might look?

MovinTarget likes this.
  18. Protagonist

Protagonist Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    There are so many Mustang bodies for sale on Reverb that I went looking. The same company that puts all those up was putting 1-3 Player Mustang necks up every month or two, and a couple of higher end ones (Vintera? American Performer?) Once and a while too. I've not seen any Squier Mustang necks for sale. I've checked periodically for almost a year.

19. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass

This is too bad. I actually find the Squier neck more ergonomic than the fender neck.

RodRy likes this.
  20. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    So, where is this club? I just did a search, and I'm not seeing such a club in my findings?

I do have friends who play Epiphones, so I'll send them to the club, once I find it...
    :confused:

MovinTarget likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021