The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I know 80s MIJ 32" Squier P's do, I have 2 of them.
    Squier 80s MIJ Ps.JPG

Protagonist, Datsgor, Rafar and 8 others like this.
  2. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    So YOU are the one hogging them! I am now all about medium scale basses after I bought an Ibanez Mezzo and loved the play of the neck. I have a medium scale neck on order from Warmoth that I am going to try to adapt to one of my P basses. Make take some doing.

3. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

you'll need to move the bridge at the least

OldCoupeTom, RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  4. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    Understood.

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  5. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Too bad you didn't contact Brad Lowe from Lowe guitars. He makes direct replacement 32" necks for 7ender basses.

He often posts over at The Official Medium Scale Bass Club
    Seems like a decent guy, maybe you should talk?
    :D

6. JohnMalay

JohnMalay

Oct 23, 2018
    New Jersey
    I've seen his posts. Nice looking stuff but a bit more than my budget.

MovinTarget and RodRy like this.
  7. Kosmos

Kosmos

Jun 3, 2017
    Lovely! Whats the name of these? Squier JV or? I love my old Japan P and need a backup bass.. medium or short.

RodRy and grrg63 like this.
  8. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Man, that ain't right.... man. ;) Those things are sweet!

RodRy and grrg63 like this.
  9. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I dont know if they have an official name but they are sometimes referred to by the first letter of their serial numbers. E.G., my white one is an "E" series and my black one is an "A" series. I think some were made with Fender logos on the headstock, so I would assume they are more expensive. You can probably get a Squier for $500-900 if you can find one.
    I dont really know about the JVs.

Datsgor, RodRy and Kosmos like this.
  10. Kosmos

Kosmos

Jun 3, 2017
    Sounds good! Thanks

grrg63 and MovinTarget like this.
  11. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    The bass is really nice, the G&L store set it up well and I won't have to change anything about the set up...yet.
    Neck dive it does have with a 2" nylon strap... it slips down a little, not much but it dives. My 3" leather strap eliminates the dive all together and the bass stays right where I leave it. It weighs 8 1/2 lbs. so its comfortable. A cool thing about the upper horn not reaching the 12th fret is, compared to the SS Stingray, this does not give me a cramped feeling. The reach to the first fret feels like I'm playing one of my 32" scalers. It's very comfortable, and, it sounds just great. I've got a set of bright flats coming that I'm gonna put on it.

IMG_2970.JPG

4StringMadness, MCF, RodRy and 8 others like this.
  12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I seem to be adding a new short scale bass almost on a monthly basis these days (and may are shipping in sleeves in cardboard boxes these days). I'm curious as to whether there is a gig bag or case that gets the job done for 30"/32" scale basses (that isn't a full sized 34", of course). While some of my shorties will fit in a guitar case, my new Dano short-horn is too long. Anyone else have a solution for the same/similar issue? I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

RodRy, TK4261 and MovinTarget like this.
  13. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

check the measurements for the Gator guitar bags. they have a removable pad at the bottom that gives 1.5 or 2 inches of additional space. My EBMM Stingray short scale fits nicely with a small amount of extra space.

14. As @revroy said, the Gator G-PG pro guitar bag might work for you and they are on sale at Sweetwater right now for $129 :thumbsup:

Gator G-PG ELECTRIC ProGo Ultimate Gig Bag for Electric Guitar

All my short scale Basses fit in it fine with a little room to spare with the insert at the bottom removed. The inside measures 41 &1/2". You can prob fit a Bass with a length of 42" in it snug no problem :cool:

L3IcWQr.jpg
    McRdOsG.jpg
    bjZTE2m.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  15. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

here's the EBMM StingRay in the Gator guitar bag

20210412_164945.jpg

RodRy, swyzlstyx, Datsgor and 3 others like this.
  16. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    IMG_8585.jpeg

17. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

Love the collection. Is the J a short scale? MIJ maybe? BTW, I went to high school in Easthampton and used to hitchhike to Northampton with friends. Beautiful part of the state!

RodRy, MovinTarget and Bunk McNulty like this.
  18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Fender Japan 32” scale. And yeah, it’s pretty here in Spring.

RodRy and MovinTarget like this.
  19. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Well howdy looks like I made it in the short scale club.

20210504_170345.jpg

Nordstrand Acinonyx, 30.75 inch scale, 6.81 pounds in its gig bag. Nordstrand-installed GHS Balanced Nickels at my request.

20. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    I’m in the Northampton area. Are you playing out when that resumes?

RodRy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021