The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    For my sins, I play with a band that works almost entirely in Connecticut. Here's our calendar so far for 2021. We're not all the way back, but we're gettin' there!
    updated 4 19 redhead schedule.jpg

Lake George is in Wales MA
    Four Seasons is in Stafford Springs CT
    Westview Creamery is in Monson MA
    The Pub is in South Windsor CT
    The Shamrock is in Suffield CT (near Agawam!)
    Brailee Campground is somewhere in the woods near Ashford CT
    Shea's is in Vernon CT.
    Couple of our faves went out of business...

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    MCF, LowWay, revroy and 2 others like this.
  2. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Sexy!

RodRy, MovinTarget and Morrighan like this.
  3. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    As I am want to do, I got a custom guitar strap from Coco Guitar Straps on Etsy to compliment my newest short scale bass.
    IMG_5098.JPG

More pics and the story at my page for this bass: NBD - Nordstrand Acinonyx
    :D

4. I saw this new video from Scott Whitley today and thought it was cool on how to turn your short scale into a piccolo Bass. I have one of those Chowny SWB-1 trans Blue Basses on pre-order from Andertons. Andertons sent me an email recently that they would not be receiving it until July maybe due to the factory for Chowny is in India and its not going well over there in India right now. Here is the video though...Pretty cool :cool:

canuckshort, Bigal1369, RodRy and 4 others like this.
  5. So a couple months ago I put a Bronco neck on my modded Musicmaster bass. The maple neck is much slimmer and smoother on these old hands which are slower due to the slow march of arthritis.

Anyway, the blond fretboard and headstock left the overall look to be a little washed out. So I undertook painting the headstock over the weekend, and my daughter made a custom headstock sticker on her cricut for me. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Before
    new neck.jpg

And now. I used the same red as what was on the "horns" at the top of the bass to tie it all together.

new headstock.jpg

headstock.jpg

6. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Lookin' Good! :thumbsup:

7. I received the last of my parts today to mod the Chowny SWB-1 when I get it. My White Delano Jazz pickups just showed up. Now I'm just waiting for the Bass...:ninja:

1JRMjPy.jpg
    bqwg7hV.png
    YoJ3bzg.jpg

8. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Looks great!

Replaced the tuning machines on my CHB-1 with Gotoh Res-o-Lite pretty early on. Haven't touched anything since.

Mine was giggable right out of the box. The Gotoh are of course considerably lighter, and do (I believe) nominally affect the bass' playability for the better. They are not a direct fit. My expectation is the pots are metric, and that's stayed my hand momentarily in any changes to the electronics. There's no great need, though. This bass always draws compliments.

9. Haha, and to think that I was worried about how to squeeze “Bronco-Sonic” on my hybrid’s headstock! Great job!!

10. My daughters have all the talent on that one. I gave them another Bronco neck that I have so they could get the size right. And they used the design of the text on the Squier Musicmaster as a template. They rocked it.

And thanks!

11. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    $70 27" neck has arrived... Gotta find time to look at the measurements and plan accordingly!

pda1tFdkYr-ZUbb8lCv8Leomb4639BjapUo3QQ-uYvFm2Xe9Gnto.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20210426004.jpg

12. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Keep us posted on how it goes.:thumbsup:

13. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    OldCoupeTom and RodRy like this.
  14. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    What's the divot in the middle of the headstock for?
    :wideyed:

15. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Truss rod access...

Don't worry, it will be mostly covered by the headless headpiece. ;)

RodRy likes this.
  16. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Sorry, no, I meant the one going almost perpendicular to the strings.
    :D

17. Thud Staff

Thud Staff

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    Looks like the nut blank…I had to do a double take, myself…

RodRy and TaperChuck like this.
  18. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    LOLOL it's actually a cut guitar nut. A blank would have been perfect, I just kept in in case I needed precise dimensions for a replacement nut.

Thud Staff and RodRy like this.
  19. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    OOOOOOhhhhh
    Had to do a triple take, I guess!
    :roflmao:

Thud Staff likes this.
  20. I ended up cancelling my pre-order for the Chowny SWB-1 with Andertons cause Chowny might not be shipping out any Basses for a long time. After thinking about it I decided to order another Public Peace short scale Bass. This time I chose the Maruszczyk Elwood L 30" After receiving my other 2 Public Peace Basses I am super impressed with them, weight, playability, sound and overall attention to detail on every part of their Basses for the price..My new Favorite maker for sure.

Specs:
    Swamp Ash body with Transparent Turquoise gloss & matching headstock.
    Birdseye Maple neck & fretboard with Abalone inlay and Luminlay side dots. 38mm nut
    Delano JC4AL single coil Jazz pickups w/White covers & Delano sonar 2 pre-amp
    Hipshot Ultrlite Lolipop tuners
    Public Peace 18mm monorail bridge

Ordered it this morning and I should have it by the end of July if lucky :hyper:

6DmmzEv.png

tpa, Vishyyy, Clipped and 16 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021