1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official Skjold Club (Part 5)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Apr 3, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  2. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    Me First.

Attached Files:

3. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    What? There's a thread for SKJOLD OWNERS!!?? Wow, I would have never thought of it!:smug:

subscribed

4. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    If Pete says it's OK, I'm probably going to stick with a 35" scale for my fretless build.

Now, to finish raising the funds...:(

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If my fretless Skjold is any measure, yeah, it's gonna be OK. :D

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey all....I just wanted to publicly thank M2roger for allowing me to stop by his place yesterday to check out his new Skjold. He was such a gracious person and his wife was as equally kind and welcoming....good people for sure.

Also, I'd like to say how much I appreciate Pete's artistry. To say that I was impressed with the bass would be an understatement. That bass was simply one of the most fully thought out musical instruments that I've ever had the pleasure to play. Pete has his stamp on every aspect of the instrument, from the design to the bridge to the preamp to the strings.....it's all Skjold. I even noticed that the bolts to bolt on neck were stronger than you normally see, and the battery box was smaller and sleeker than the one that is on everything else.....every small detail has been thoughtfully explored. I have a great deal of respect for Pete and his vision. I'd have to say that his hard work and dedication has resulted in one of the best basses that I've played to date. I have the opportunity to know some really talented bass builders. They all bring something different to the table and they all excel at what they do. I'm really glad that I got to play one of Pete's newest creations. It simply deepened my respect for the man.

Oh, and I'll now have to revise my complaint of "I've never played a fretted bass with spanish cedar that has been worth a damn" to "I've never played a fretted bass with spanish cedar that's worth a damn except for Pete Skjold's bass". M2roger's bass was so punchy that it immediately dispelled my feeling of spanish cedar as always being soft and too warm sounding....only great for fretless.

One more thing....I didn't get too much time with the preamp as the bass sounded perfect flat, but what tweaking I did do showed me how wonderful a design the East/Skjold pre is. For my personal preference I actually preferred the bass in passive mode as the pre did add a more hyped quality when engaged. For live playing though I can see the preamp really helping to push the bass sound to the front of a mix. Extremely versatile pre. One complaint, and it could've been for a couple of reasons, but when the preamp was engaged there was a bit of noise when we would stand close to the bass amp (shuttle 6.0). With the preamp bypassed the noise was gone. We didn't trouble shoot it but again, it could've been something other than the preamp.

Anyhow, what a pleasure it was to see Pete's work. I hope that he continues his success and that more and more people get the opportunity to experience his beautiful workmanship. To all of you that already have, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.

7. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    So my band recorded an EP a few weeks ago. Main purpose was to have something of high quality that we could use to get better gigs. I think we suceeded. Not for sale yet, but we are streaming it from our mypace page. All the bass tracks where the Skjold Lion's Pride through an Ampeg B15, the second track has a second track going through a Orange Tiny Terror head and a 1x12 guitar cabinet as well.

Overactive Sundays
    vindits_cd2_final2-1.

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    For a long time, I had some pretty serious Skjold LP GAS. Since then, and in no small part due to my love for my Nordys, I'd come to realize that no matter how impressed I am with everything I've seen from Pete, I just don't care for 35" scale, and there are too many amazing builders who will do 34" to get wrapped around the axle over one bass.

Well.... now Pete's doing 34" scale, and I'm GAS'n more than ever! I don't know how or when, but I will have an LP! Pete's work rocks!

9. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    One thing I love about Pete's 35" scale is that it feels so comfortable that it seems like I'm playing a 34" scale bass.

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I agree with this statement!

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep, and while I'm not real comfortable saying this, it's actually and truly all about where he places his nuts in relation to your body. ;)

:bag:

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    LOL! :p

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    :eyebrow:

14. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine

Probably closer on yours Vic. I know because I didn't pay extra for this.;)

15. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    LMAO!

Thanks for saying what we were all thinking but were to afraid to say.

16. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Andy - VERY glad you had the chance to try one of Pete's latest creations. they really do play themselves. I think for a fretless, the East preamp is overkill, but to each his own. I really dig the East pre on my LP - its versatility turns one bass into about 500 basses.

Paul - Although the music STYLE is not my cup of tea, I like how your LP sounds. As I told you in PM, phat but with lots of definition.

Vic - No class, man!:rollno:

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, at least I'm consistent. :D

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am too. Great, great bass. From that experience I think that Pete's basses would be fine with a preamp just for boosting the signal and with no eq. The bass that I played just didn't need it. I'm also someone who never touches the eq on a bass....I just use the pickup pan and my hands to get different sounds. That East pre is a tweaker's delight though.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Sounds like you'd be happy with a 'passive' Skjold with just the Redeemer circuit. :cool:

20. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Which if you listen to my songs I posted up above, you can hear a very good example of! :smug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.