1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ray34ca

29 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ray34

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Ray35

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. SB14

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. I just purchased a SBMM Ray34QM Neptune Blue new for a great price.The Nut width is 1.5" [38mm] and 9 1/2 Radius. I am not sure why the standard finish Ray34 and KOA model has a wider neck,[43mm] could be they discontinued the Ray34CA which had 38mm neck and these Quilted Maple models give buyers the smaller neck choice but with 3 band eq and contoured body? I prefer a wider neck even though I have smallish hands. But not complaining this is a great Bass for $799 Street price. It came set up perfectly Action, neck, pickup height and Intonation all spot on,[by EBMM SETUP INFO] this was very unexpected. The smaller neck has its advantages but I am having to get use to the smaller string spacing; mainly on Slap and Pop. Also I noticed Head stock now Shows 'Stingray' not Ray34, This I like also. It is nice to look at beautiful finish. On the NET dealers have inaccurate specs most show 43mm nut width and some even have radius at 12".

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Back2Bassic and Youngspanion like this.
  2. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    It appears the the Sterling by Musicman bass line were is going through some un-annouced changes. Like what you said. The nut width. And the headstock name change. I've been waiting to hear about it from them or on this thread from someone. Maybe NAMM 2019 will have some announcements.

3. ceesaar00

ceesaar00

May 17, 2017
    So it finally arrived!. Ray 34 CA. Which by the way a lot of you guys in here (TB) helped me to make the decision.
    I just installed a used set of nickel Lo riders and did some minor adjustments.
    I still haven´t tried it in a band setting but it sounds awesome! Definitely an improvement over my SUB RAY 5.
    IMG_0529.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0532.JPG IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0538.JPG

RussB, OllyW and Cracker7 like this.
  4. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    that's a beauty. Hope you love it like I do mine. Excellent choice.

5. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    Hello fellow Sterling by Musicman players. I just picked up a used Ray35 and she plays like a dream. However, it was missing the battery box cover on the rear. So I am in need of either buying a cover or the entire battery box.

If someone can post a link, or website where I can buy another one, that’ll be great. My searches has resulted in battery boxes that doesn’t match the dimensions of mine.

Outer dimensions/Length 3-1/16 in x Width 1-5/8 in.

Thanks in advance. Peace.

6. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    Call the guys at Praxis Music (the company that runs/imports SBMM) 888-989-7266. They should be able to help you out with info, if not a new cover. Personally I'd like to replace my battery box on my Ray34 to one where the battery snaps in, instead of the clip on top connector. Never liked the clip on top style, but that's all down the line.

Al Bass likes this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Sad to say, but cosmetics and pure vanity got the better of me this week.
    From this...
    20181230_230303.jpg
    To this...
    20190119_231512.jpg

Youngspanion likes this.
  8. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    The Nut?

9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    No, that's just an artifact of the light. I always thought the long tuning keys looked a bit 'prickly' on the SBMM compared to the EBMM, so I replaced the stock tuners with short key Hipshot HB1.

Cracker7 and Youngspanion like this.
  10. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    i suck at this. very nice.

11. endy_y_p

endy_y_p

May 2, 2009
    Surabaya
    Beautiful! Does Hipshot HB-1 come stock with short tuning, or you have to custom ordered it?. Thank you.

12. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    It's a standard option when you order direct from Hipshot.

Cracker7 likes this.
  13. Cracker7

Cracker7 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Saratoga Springs NY
    I believe them to be the best on the market. Solid and super smooth. Hipshots on all my basses.

14. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    The OEM tuners I took off are both of those things; it was pure vanity! Incidentally, the headstock holes on the Ray34 are 18mm whereas the Hipshot ferrules are 17.5mm. However, the peg diameters are the same so I left the original ferrules in place.

15. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    Thanks for the info Remoman. Jon at Praxis Musical sent out a battery box for my Ray35 at no cost. Super service and really helpful guy. You can’t beat that. Just wow!

Remoman likes this.
  16. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL

OMG!

lokikallas likes this.
  17. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL

73_Blazer likes this.
  18. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    That's a nice blue and nice expansion on the Ray24/25. But oh yeah, I love roasted maple necks! Dang I wish I was going to NAMM this year so I could see them all. I hope they're keeping the KOA wood option.

19. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL

lokikallas likes this.
  20. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I wonder if they maintain the same beefy neck on the 'New' Stingray Ray34/35. The webpage hasn't been updated.