1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ray34ca

29 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ray34

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Ray35

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. SB14

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. ceesaar00

ceesaar00

May 17, 2017
    Both are beautiful!

TWP likes this.
  2. Just replaced the black pick guard on my Ray34 with a White Pearl one...I love how cool it looks!
    Before Pic
    37B4C906-0576-4A88-B724-97EF70997EB1.jpeg

After Pic
    847DA72B-4740-4DD3-A451-622788295C14.jpeg

3. Oatis

Oatis

Nov 6, 2018
    Alabama
    I would like the controls on metal panel like the 4 string. The big guard is too much.

4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Then maybe check out the SBMM Ray25...

Oatis likes this.
  5. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Nice! A Guitar Center exclusive Ray34 in Silverburst!

TWP likes this.
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

7. mobass55

mobass55 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Nixa Missouri
    Well I settled for going from black to tort, I like it better 2.jpg

Herald Becker and tubatodd like this.
  8. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
  9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just gigged for the first time last night. She punched through the mix wonderfully. I mainly played her with the 5-way switch in the center position, meaning both humbuckers on together (all-coils). She sounded big and full without being muddy. All notes including all on the D&G strings punched through loud and clear, but there was also a bit of growl too. Sounded awesome. I'm wondering if either the roasted neck or the mahogany body are the reasons why there are no dead spots on the D&G strings (most Stingrays are afflicted with this problem to one degree or another). Only downside is that she's a bit on the heavy side. Probably in the neighborhood of 10+ lbs (I can weigh her later).

Wicked G likes this.
  10. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Awesome, good to hear. About my only issue with the Ray 34 is the notes on the D&G strings not punching through. I have tried an EBMM Stealth HH and noticed that those strings did sound fuller in the center and last position, so I am definitely going to try the Ray 34HH. Thanks

Quadzilla likes this.
  11. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    So I'm not quite sure what my Ray34 has become. A while ago I tried an EBMM Sterling H and was really impressed with the detail, dynamics and clarity of the ceramic pickup. Around the same time I came across and acquired, for next to 0$, a genuine EBMM Sterling H pickup, the 3-coil version. This will not fit in a standard route without additional routing, but I had no interest in the phantom coil settings. So I removed to 3rd coil and dropped it in, with parallel wiring. I replaced the pearloid pickguard with a 3-layer parchment from WD Music, and here she is...
    20190423_194102.jpg

12. Oatis

Oatis

Nov 6, 2018
    Alabama
    I got a Sterling Ray 5 because I wanted that useful mid control. It is natural with an "unroasted"neck and I saved about $75 by getting last year's Ray 5. It has black pickguard screws and black knobs . (picture coming soon)

13. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    IMG_1177.JPG IMG_1178.JPG Managed to pick up this nice Sterling Ray34CA,cream colored tort pick guard,earlier today. Promised to ship out to me tomorrow. Will get some more pictures once it gets here. This is some of the sellers pictures tried to take with cell phone,terrible images. Can't seem to get away from the Music Man looks! LOL

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  14. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    20161106_175901.jpg MUSIC MAN TEXT.jpg Guess I might as well solicit a member# if they exist here.
    "Creamy" deserves some recognition as she's a permanent
    family member within the MM grouping and a full time employee.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  15. Chrome Dome

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    IMG_1181.JPG Just received the Ray34CA,vintage cream body,vintage tinted neck, View attachment 3401400 IMG_1180.JPG excellent condition plastic still on pick guard. Action is already set way I prefer. Sound real good,here at home. Can't wait to see how it sounds in the mix at Church. Got some of my own pictures after I got it home.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    bassmike2010 and Youngspanion like this.
  16. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    That is a beautiful bass, brother. I think that is a quality instrument and its very nice looking too. I've got one in Sunburst that I bought new in Jan. of 2014 and tonight I just changed the 9volt battery and the original strings. Holy Mackerel. The battery read 4.6 volts. I can't believe it still worked. I changed the strings to 2 month old Slinkys that I had put on my Precision in March but I didn't like 'em on it. I think the passive pickups of the Precision will sound better with the Fenders that I just bought and the Ray 34 needed to have its original strings replaced with the same Slinkys that came with it.

Chrome Dome likes this.
  17. Chrome Dome

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Thank you,Youngspanion. Might try see what year this one was manufactured. I know they are no longer available from what I have read on this Club's threads. I have owned quite a few US Stingrays,and this type Sterling plays,feels,and sound just as good as US Stingrays,IMO.

bassmike2010 and Youngspanion like this.
  18. Chrome Dome

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    IMG_1181.JPG Talked to the Sterling by Music Man customer service,trying to find out what year my Ray34CA was made. Young lady I talked said the serial numbers,records that are kept only goes back to 2016? Serial number on my Ray34CA is,SR224xx. If any knows what year the Ray34CA came out,and when they were no longer made,would be appreciated. Thanks! IMG_1180.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  19. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Don't know for sure, but by way of getting to the ballpark, my Ray34 serial number starts SR202xx and is from 2012.

Chrome Dome likes this.
  20. Chrome Dome

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Thank you,SteveCS,that is what I was thinking around 2012? Might be a difference in the Ray34,and Ray34CA?