1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ray34ca

29 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ray34

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Ray35

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. SB14

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Ray34: contoured body, wide (43mm) nut, 3-band EQ
    Ray34CA: Slab body, slim (38mm) nut, 2-band EQ

Kevin Lynch and Chrome Dome like this.
  2. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    Plus, the Ray34CA has a tinted gloss neck (but not on the new 24/5CA) and the standard Ray34 a clear satin neck. I believe the last year for the CAs was 2016 model year. I know from an old thread that the Ray34CA existed in 2011.

SteveCS and Chrome Dome like this.
  3. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Saw a 2013/2014 Ray34CA,tobacco burst,maple fret board for sale,was thinking about making an offer. Tempting,but trying to hold off?

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    How do Ray5 (SUB) and Ray25 (classic) compare? Do they have the same electronics (2 band eq and ceramic pups)? Do they only differ in looks, wood, hardware and number of frets?

Also, how do the new SUBs sound compared to the old ones? I've read that they've sorted the whole hot output problem out. I'm kind of thinking of grabbing my first five stringer, and that minty green SUB looks appealing to me.

Remoman likes this.
  5. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    Well as I understand it from SBMM staff when I was at NAMM, both the SUB Ray5 and Ray25 have the same pups. I believe the pre-amp is the same too, but don't remember for sure. However, both the pups and pre-amps in the SUB line are new and were changed to fix the hot output issues. And I'm with you on the mint green SUB Ray5, really my favorite color of the line after the old Koa Ray35.

mouthmw likes this.
  6. Chrome Dome

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Just talked to John,at Sterling by Music Man,in Fullerton,CA. According to serial number that I gave him,it was made in April 2016,one of the last Ray34CA's.

Remoman likes this.
  7. Chrome Dome

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Just decided to buy another Ray34CA,Tobacco burst,with maple fret board,actually less than what I had to give for the vintage cream one I just got couple weeks ago. Buyer was real firm on asking price. Should be here sometime next week.

bassmike2010 and Remoman like this.
  8. Chrome Dome

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Here are two,or three of previous owners pictures,if you click on them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    tubatodd, Remoman and SteveCS like this.
  9. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I can't see anything. Bad link? Maybe its on my end.

10. Chrome Dome

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Ok,sorry,I will post some more pictures,once it gets here. It was actually located in Bethpage, New York.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Youngspanion likes this.
  11. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    While this could go out on it's own, I'll ask here since I'll be using it with my Ray34. Anyone try foam mutes with your SBMM Stingray? What did you think?

12. LilFatty

LilFatty

May 14, 2019
    Hi sterling fans!

I have a Ray5 that I like but it has pretty bad neck dive. I was thinking of getting a Ray35 instead. How is the neck dive on the Ray35 in you all's experience?

13. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I don’t think you’d notice much difference. Save yourself some money and get a good suede-backed strap instead.

14. Oatis

Oatis

Nov 6, 2018
    Alabama

15. Oatis

Oatis

Nov 6, 2018
    Alabama
    This 5 string Ray has a nice twang ;it is much brighter than my Warwick 5. DSCN3169.JPG DSCN3168.JPG DSCN3168.JPG

Herald Becker and Youngspanion like this.
  16. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    The neck dive might not change much between the Ray5 and Ray35, although an Ash or mahogany body will probably be heavier than the basswood of the Ray5, which will help. If you go for a new Ray35 with roasted neck it will improve somewhat. But in every other respect, the jump from Ray5 to Ray35 will be many orders of magnitude.

bassmike2010, Remoman and LilFatty like this.
  17. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    My SBMM Ray35ca didn't come with them and not sure what strings
    the SLO facility put on it but the Alnico pu has a controllable
    growl and otherwise nice lo mid tone which sounds perfect "in the mix".
    I wouldn't want mutes on mine but a thin foam strip front of the saddles
    would let you experiment w string windings and gauges.

Remoman likes this.
  18. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Related thread: (?)
    Difference between Sterling Ray5, Ray25 and Ray35?

LilFatty likes this.
  19. LilFatty

LilFatty

May 14, 2019
    Interesting. Seems like there are different versions. My Sub Ray5 is made in Indonesia, not China as that thread claims. Also I compared it to a regular Stingray (not the new special) and the necks were very similar. The sub felt slightly rounder but marginally

My Sub Ray5 is newer though so I'm guessing they changed country of manufacture amongst other things over the years

bassmike2010 likes this.
  20. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    Common misconception on the SBMM line. Some SUB models, based on color, are made in China, some in Indonesia and it's been that way for many years. The 34/35s are made in Indonesia, though the Koa 34/35s only were made in Korea, till that plant closed down. I don't know for certain on the 24/25s, but believe they are all built in Indonesia.