1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ray34ca

29 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ray34

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Ray35

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. SB14

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. LilFatty

LilFatty

May 14, 2019
    I'm torn between just getting some ultralite tuners for my sub Ray5 or upgrading to the ray35...

The pickup wiring switch looks nice but I wonder how much I'll use it

2. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Have you thought about HB1 with the short key. A set of 5 will save you a good couple of ounces and will have more of a musicman aesthetic.

See my post #1567 above
    The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    LilFatty likes this.
  3. LkS

LkS

Oct 30, 2013
    EU, Slovakia
    Did you have to drill new holes for the HB1's? I have a Ray34CA and direct replacement tuners were the HB7 and they have different dimensions from the HB1.

4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes. New holes for the mounting screws, but the old ones are fully covered up by the HB1 baseplate. The HB1 has a 17mm headstock hole compared to, IIRC, 17.5 on the existing (and HB7) tuners. But the HB1 post diameters are the same as the SBMM tuners (at least on my Ray34 they were) so I just left the original bushes in place.

5. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Well got the Ray34CA,little concerned about the way it was shipped,no gig bag,or case? We were fortunate,that it was not damaged! Took me about half hour,to get all the bubble wrap off. Cleaned and wiped it down,real decent shape,for 6years old? Previous owner said 2013,2014 not sure. Here are pictures after I got here at home. Will check serial number sometime later? It is SR278xx,if anyone can tell from this? Just talked to John,at Sterling by Music Man,and this one is July 2013 model. IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0015.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  6. I'm getting sudden gas for the new Ray35 with the roasted neck and HH pickups.

Anyone else get their hands on one yet? I only saw the one poster in this thread who had one

7. Herald Becker

Herald Becker

May 22, 2019
    Netherlands
    I'm game for this club! She just arrived today and she's freakin' lovely!! It's my 2019 Ray35 Natural with the roasted maple neck. This baby plays like nothing I've had before. Well. I do love my Tokai Thunderbird, but this is just completely different.

Attached Files:

Cyborg, bassmike2010, Oatis and 4 others like this.
  8. LilFatty

LilFatty

May 14, 2019
    To update on my previous post about how I was considering upgrading from Sub Ray5 to the Ray35. A Ray35 came up for sale locally in the finish I wanted and I snagged it. It definitely balances better than the Sub and is overall a better bass. Sounds and plays better, and it's nice to have the 3 way pickup switch.

There is still a little neck dive but not as much as the Sub. I may get some ultralite tuners in future but it's pretty comfortable now.

20190526_192921.jpg

9. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Figured I would post my highly modified Ray34CA while I still have it!

EC59B7F6-595E-4564-AE59-3CC1B81AB16D.jpeg
    Nordstrand MM4.2
    Sadowsky pre
    Inca silver refin (added contours)
    PreEB decal
    Aged hardware
    Chandler pickguard
    Zero Mod thumbrest

Haha yeah, I’ve definitely done some work on this one!
    364D0882-B32E-41EB-B8B7-0010564AD59B.jpeg

WMDBASSPLAYER, Remoman and tubatodd like this.
  10. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    Nicely done @jazzercountry that bass looks great! I'll be putting in my Nordstrand 4.4 pickup soon and am contemplating what to do on the pickguard. Was also looking at adding the Zero Mod thumbrest. How do you like it and it's positioning? Seems longer than what I'd want for my long fingers, but figured it could be cut back to be a little shorter.

11. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Hey thanks! The thumbrest is great, doesn’t get in my way at all. I was so glad to find out they make that one, right hand position for fingerstyle playing on a Stingray was always a headache before when playing over the pickup didn’t fit tonally.

Remoman likes this.
  12. Just stopping by this club to say that I tried out a Ray35 and a Sub Series Ray4 this week, and was blown away! They each felt and sounded like they should cost twice as much. I had actually played a Sub a couple years ago and was disappointed with the fretwork and tuners. Not sure if they've improved, or if that one was just a bad egg. In any case, I will definitely look at adding a SBMM into my roster at some point (maybe when I finally cross into the land of 5-strings...)

13. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    I just ordered a pre-2019 Ray34 in black. I have a couple questions regarding it though. What are the original strings? Are they .045-.100 or .045-.105? I’ve found mixed answers regarding this. Also, I believe 2019 is the first year for 9.5” radius fingerboards? I’m a Fender guy so this is what I’m used to. I believe pre-2019 Ray34s have 12” radius fingerboards. Can anyone verify, please? Lastly, what is the body wood for the solid colors? I’ve been told swamp ash and I’ve been told African mahogany and only the natural got swamp ash. I believe those are my only questions for the time being until I get more time with this bass. It’s my first MM style bass. I’m pretty pumped about it.

14. Hi, most Dealers have erroneous specs on their website for SBMM Basses, if your talking 2018 I know it is 9 1/2 Radius and 1.69" width at nut [1.5" for QM Series]. All SBMM 4 string and EBMM 4 String come with EB 2834 Strings 45-100. Go to EBMM FAQ on website to get setup specs [ Action, neck relief etc.] was told instructions work for SBMM.

Both SBMM and EBMM don't give much info with Instruments so you need to email them with questions and confirm my info. [ what I did]
    Jon Gulliksen
    Praxis | Sterling by Music Man
    E. service@sterlingbymusicman.com

Here is some other info that might be of interest: [ Jon's reply to my email question]
    Hey Phil,
    Our 3 band basses use a standard circuit centered at approximately 500hz.
    Frequency slope is 6db per octave.
    With bass control in max position, max output will occur at 40hz and drop at 6db per octave above 40hz.
    Maximum treble response drops at 6 db per octave at frequencies below approximately 12hz.
    Mid range is centered approximately 500hz.
    Control settings are interactive, therefore 6db per octave slope only occurs when one control is in maximum position and the two remaining controls are set to minimum.

Oatis likes this.
  15. PS: Solid colors are Mahogany. They are heavy similar to my '75 Precision, my 2001 American Precision and EBMM 25TH Anniversary model [Reflex] were lighter.

16. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    Is there a way to determine the year of the bass? I know with my Fender collection, I can pull the neck and the date is stamped on the body and the neck. This even held true for my cheap Fernandes bass. Are SBMMs the same? I have searched for serial dating tables to no avail.

17. You did say that you 'Ordered' Bass, I took that as from a Dealer [new old stock before Roasted Maple neck] hence the 2018 guess. Mine is late 2018 I believe [has Stingray on headstock not Ray34] SR#37195. Email SBMM When you get it with serial# they may be able to help. The SBMM Website is pretty much just a brochure for their products and that's all.

18. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    Yeah, the site isn’t helpful at all. Once it gets here, hopefully tomorrow, I’ll be able to get ahold of someone there. I’ll update with specs if they can provide anything.

19. My first Sterling Ray34 was delivered today. However, like yours, it doesn't say Ray34 on the headstock like I was expecting. Just says StingRay. I wasn't sure they sent me the correct model at first but it looks like a Ray34 in every other way that I can tell. Most significantly it has the three band EQ. Anybody know when and why they dropped the Ray34 label?

20. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    Late 2018 the dropped the “Ray34” on the headstock and replaced it with “Stingray”.