1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Official Sterling by Music Man Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ray34ca

29 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ray34

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Ray35

33 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. SB14

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Would stand to reason 3 equals three band 4 equals 4 string. My Ray 35ca has alnico pick up and although does not sound like my early Ernie Ball or pre Ernie Ball pickups, has a fantastic tone I like just as much. Although it is a two band classic active. Which has a lot to do with why I haven't sold it plus the fact the build quality is top shelf.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. Thanks. I'm assuming that they brought it back because all the ones that I see online say Ray34 on them.
    Anyway, I'm digging my new Stingray.

Herald Becker and bassmike2010 like this.
  3. I've been playing around on my new Ray34 for a couple of hours now and I have to say that I'm very impressed! The setup is great right out of the box. Action is low, but not too low. Just the way I like it. The strings are good and it arrived perfectly in tune. No complaints at all.

4. If you look at barcode sticker w/ serial number on Gig Bag it should say Ray34. Also did you get newest version with Roasted Maple Neck without matching headstock? There are great deals out there on Last year's models.

5. No, all new ones have 'Stingray'; Online are just older pictures, the picture they had when I bought mine showed the Ray34 on headstock but mine came with 'Stingray'. Dealers may still have older stock with Ray34.

Remoman and Shinbone like this.
  6. No. Not the roasted maple. Mine has the matching headstock. I got a really good price at proaudiostar (not affiliated.)

7. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    I’m fairly disappointed mine doesn’t look like it’ll be here today. :( jokes on me. I do electrical work at the Chicago bulk mail sorting facility from time to time. I bet it’s stuck there as payback for some mistake I’ve made in the past.

Remoman likes this.
  8. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    They dropped the model name from the headstock decal with the 2018 model year, same year they came out with the new 24/25 models. I'm betting that was a cost cutting measure as well as a bit of a marketing thing. The SUB series decal has now has that in small letters instead of the large SUB it used to. The product line has a much more similar look to the decals across all the models, but the models remain. The Ray4/5 at the low price point, the Ray24/25 at the new mid price point, and the Ray34/35 still as the top of the line. Also makes it easier as they expand to the HH and specialty woods.

9. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    E2708D42-1A06-4023-9D54-3C338C8FB765.png

I received this as a response when asking for older Ray35 specs. I could swear they all got .045-.100 strings though. Anyhow, that’s directly from SBMM. However, I notice his also only shows a two band EQ, which apparently some Ray34 models had in the past based on other research I’ve done. These are such cool basses. I wish there was better documentation regarding specs and options. Oh well.

Mine also still isn’t here. USPS hasn’t updated tracking since this morning at some point. Apparently it’s still at the sorting facility in Chicago.

10. Seems they sent you Ray34 spec's not 35; For last 1 1/2 yrs on SBMM Website they have showed Ray34 to have 9 1/2" radius and Ray35 to have 12". I don't remember any Ray34/35 having 2 band EQ other than CA Models. Those spec's sent you seem to be similar to erroneous spec's on most Dealer website's. Oh well who know's if you get a Pro setup they should be able to measure exact numbers. All SBMM/EBMM 4 String's since I have been interested in Basses 2012 have COME WITH 45-100.[ EB 2834]. I have an AGB that has a 16" Radius and going between them doesn't seem to be a problem, Ray is more curved and thinner neck, AGB flatter curve and wider neck. Playability is fine on both.

11. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    I’ve got plenty of Fenders to compare to for the radius. Almost all of them that I have are 9.5” radius. I’ll update later today hopefully. The bass is finally at the post office in my hometown according to USPS tracking.

12. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The online retailers are probably just using old photos. If you head over to sterlingbymusicman.com, you’ll see that all Rays now have «StingRay» on the headstock, even the lowly SUBs.

Shinbone likes this.
  13. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    F3DE1A53-B7FA-4D6F-8911-064DD436BC17.jpeg

My Ray34 finally made it. It appears to have all the original case candy. Not bad for buying used. It’s in almost perfect condition but the previous owner has the action set pretty high. I’m going to make some adjustments after it acclimates. It’s crazy humid here right now in Chicagoland.

14. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    According to SBMM support, my bass is a 2013 based on the serial. I'm still dying to know the exact specs on it.

15. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    bassmike2010 likes this.
  16. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    https://guitar-compare.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2013_Sterling_MusicMan_Catalog.pdf

You nailed it! A little finagling around the Google and I managed to find it. The website is in English and easy to navigate. It's got all of the brochures through 2016. Still not much info on body wood though. All of the catalogs state ash was used on the Ray 34s. I'd like to know, not that it matters, whether or not my black one is ash or mahogany.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Remoman likes this.
  17. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    That's great! Starting with the 2014, and my 2015, catalogs both list mahogany, but only on some guitar models. I don't think mahogany made it to any basses till 2018 and the Koa model. Oh, and from what I remember of discussions I had with them, it's hard ash, not swamp ash. I'd say it's a good bet yours is ash.

ejschultz likes this.
  18. A question for those in-the-know...are the tuners on my new Ray34 chrome or nickel. I'd like to add a detuner and want to make sure I get the correct one. I can't tell the difference but I bet if I got the wrong kind I could. :)

19. ejschultz

ejschultz

Oct 27, 2018
    Cedar Lake IN
    The HB7, which appears to be a direct replacement, is nickel. It isn’t a perfect match in color so I’d say the Ray34 is chrome. However, this might be a good time to buy a BT7, 2 bass side HB7s, and a treble side HB7 (actually, the tuners can be reversed for use on either side pretty easily if need be but they sell them already assembled for their respective sides) and upgrade the tuners. Hipshot's site only shows nickel, black, and gold. I believe the sellers advertising "chrome" have nickel. The stock Ray34 tuners are pretty decent but the HB7s are really nice. I have them on one of my other basses (which is why I have a spare that I could use for comparison).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Remoman likes this.
  20. Thanks. I didn't realize the BT7 doesn't come in chrome. Guess I'm getting nickel. I don't think I'll replace the whole set at this point though. I'll give the stock tuners a chance.